2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

In fairness, I think everyone here knows that this guy literally posts the majority of his content to extract what he perceives to be imperfections of my posts in an effort to refute any and everything I say…while rarely giving me credit when I’ve clearly been correct more often then I’ve been wrong.

To be candid, there are posters here who at one point, clearly did not care for my content/takes, but have PMd me and recognized this guy just likes to play games non-stop.

2 Likes

And to be fair, you make evaluations about all of these kids about you and love to egg it on. That’s why I sent both of you warnings.

1 Like

In other words, throw it up when I’m correct. Damn right after all the hell I caught for being right. I think that’s only fair, especially when you let all the the unwarranted criticism of me go.

But your point is taken

I think you are missing the point. This isn’t about you, it isn’t about your evaluations, your welcome to post your evaluations but they aren’t the story. No one is compiling a list of all the times that you were right or wrong because that isn’t the point of this site.

If you are mad that people point out when you are wrong about something, maybe think about the fact that you inundate us with your take over and over again when sharing it one time would probably suffice.

Instead of a thread of Greg Elliott updates, now we have a thread that is polluted with these drawn out back and forths between you and one or two other people over the most minute things like whether Greg Elliott shoots 28.4% or 33.1%.

It’s just tiring man and it makes moderating this place a real pain in the ass.

8 Likes

I know I am probably in the minority but shooting is lower on the list of attributes the staff should target in the late 2017 and 2018 cycles given the emphasis that was placed on it with the 2017 commits and guys on the roster like DJ, Wagner, and Ibi. If fans are not confident that any of these guys can excel as shooters then it stands to question if 2017 is really a solid recruiting class and what JB has been doing in terms of roster building recently?

If anything, the overabundance of shooting on the roster should allow JB to take more non-shooters who do other things well that might be unique to the roster. The ability to play in space, surrounded by shooters, for an elite slasher/athlete/creator could be quite the selling point.

1 Like

In my opinion shooting should always be the lowest of priorities until shot creators are on board

Again, maybe id be able to point out something one time if I didn’t have people following me around like schoolyard girls waiting for the star athlete.

You say it’s not about me, I get that, but then you allow certain people to make it about me. Just food for thought for your moderation

1 Like

I don’t think shooting should be the most important eval here. I think that the pros and cons of pushing to add Elliott are interesting.

If you look at 2017 as a class, you have Brooks, Matthews, Poole, Livers. I would say 3 good shooters, one non-shooter. If you add in 2016, you have another non-shooter in X and a guy that probably should still develop into a shooter role in Ibi.

In 2018, I love the idea of a guy like Jerome Hunter to add to the defense, but can you play Hunter next to Matthews and Elliott? Eh, I’m not so sure. Hunter is also a legit combo forward size which is usually a more versatile place to slot in a proverbial energy guy.

I think ideally what you’d want to add late in 2017 is a PNR playmaker because I don’t really see that fit as natural for Matthews or any of the freshmen at that point. MAAR’s vision and shooting is an issue there. X hasn’t shown it. Brooks and Poole will add offense but to what extent.

This year we have a top-15 offense with two guys running the show that everyone hates as playmakers. I don’t worry about the offense that much, but adding a PNR guy at 6-5, basically a Cormac Ryan would be a great addition between Matthews and X.

I don’t think that’s what Elliott would bring as much as just plain energy, defense, etc. He basically would fill MAAR’s role in many ways I’d say. Could he be a better version of him? Certainly. Would he be more valuable than MAAR as a senior? Probably not. Could Michigan get a better player in 2018? Maybe.

I guess that’s where I differ in my analysis. I view Greg as a PnR playmaker while I view Ryan as needing time to adjust.

1 Like

Not really speaking about Cormac Ryan in particular here since he’d be two years away. But just that if you are going to play between X and C-Matthews, you better be able to shoot and great some offense. (Bigger issue here might be what MAAR in that spot means next year and I’m not sure, but that’s neither here nor there).

But another way to look at it might be if you have a second unit of Eli, Poole and Elliott, that would be a much better fit.

Two sides to the story, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk either way.

Trust me, I appreciate Zak and DW and view them as sufficient. I think the people who hate them as playmakers will grow to appreciate them next season with their absence.

As for Greg, I really think you are underrating his shiftiness with the ball and vision when bringing up MAAR. He also has significant physical development to go which is something that could not be said for 20 year old freshman MAAR. Really believe he is going to be closer to Levert or Sumner as a late bloomer type than some bench role guy like MAAR. Its just a hunch, though, and if the argument is Greg vs Ryan then it comes down to shooting vs defense IMO since I view them as similar tier playmakers.

Then again, I am higher on X as a PG and a shooter than most with time. I don’t think his shooting this year is accurate nor is his 35 % from 3 in EYBL (79 attempts) an aberration.

The only thing I’d say with the Sumner comp is that he grew 4 inches late. If Elliott sprouted to 6-6, I think that would change the way a lot of people felt about him, no?

As I said, I am not really sure what side I fall on here… Think it is a close call.

1 Like

Yeah, and I guess part of my intrigue with GE is that he has the extremely long arms + big shoe + baby face combo…just has the look of a player who is going isn’t done growing but its a roll of the dice for sure.

It’s pretty wild that the one glaring question mark in next year’s lineup will be theoretically, until proven otherwise, manned by a senior who started at least portions of each of his first 3 seasons. I totally get not being worried about the offense, because JB will do JB things. But it is hard to imagine where the offense will come from with an X-MAAR-Matthews-DJ-Wagner lineup. I mean, it seems like DJ and Mo will get theres, but none of those guys look poised to do what Zak does for us.

Hence the polarity of Elliott. Is he a better option than MAAR? Is Poole a better option, for shooting and passing? Will a senior Duncan push Matthews to the 2, to insert offense? Is Livers a better option at the 3, to push Matthews to the 2? Grad transfer mania?

Also crazy to imagine a X-MAAR-Matthews-DJ-Bamba lineup. Raise your hand if you ever thought DJ would be the best shooter in a starting lineup.

3 Likes

This is the entire issue. Is Elliot worth more than the 2018’s who may have more length and skill and dare I say defense. Elliot is real thin and will need to hit the muscle program. I do not see JB taking Elliot. If that is the case he would have taken Cain.

Which 2018 kid is more skilled, longer and plays better defense?

Well the one I like is Jerome Hunter.

The staff can take Greg and still have a scholarship for Hunter. They play two different positions and have two different skillsets.

Another thing to consider is Greg’s CLEAR upward trajectory. His athleticism is improving by the day. Usually with polarizing unranked prospects, you do not see this kind of rapid development in such a short span.

Providence was also in the building to check out Greg last night. It’s pretty clear he’s trending up rapidly