2017 - G/F - Anthony Gaines (Target)

That’s the thing though, he’s not a wing in any sense of the word. He has no handle and no shot…how in the world can he play the 3?

and hops…

Again, I don’t love the fit with Gaines by any stretch. But I can see the argument if you want to add a defender/athlete/rebounder/motor guy to the mix.

Comparing him to Novak or Easley I don’t get, he’s a way better athlete than both IMO.

He is certainly a better athlete than Easley, but not even approaching his skill level in any way. Easley much more of a wing in relation to Gaines, and 1-1.5 inches taller as well.

He gets to the rack still. I see all the points but he just produces I think he’s much better than Novak. I mean he was up for eybl mvp for a bit. I think beilein could turn him into a monster.

I agree with that, he does produce. But the same can be said for Greg Elliott if that is the context.

Here are highlights of Gaines in action at Nike EYBL Hampton. I don’t think he’s a great ball handler, but he can get to the rim using his strength no question.

If we’re going to pursue Gaines, then Donnie Tillman is much better at all wing related attributes in relation to Gaines, but has more size, rebounds just as well, and is stronger than Gaines. Just makes no sense to me at all from any standpoint.

There’s a name we haven’t heard in a while. Is Donnie still interested? It is interesting that the staff hasn’t shown more interest

Once Livers committed that was done with, and I can understand that. BUT, with the staff going to visit Gaines…it now seems absurd. Here’s the thing, Donnie was setting up a visit to UM and then Livers committed a few days prior. Again, I understood the staff’s thinking, but Gaines over Tillman. WTF?

So, was Donnie being an option over because taking Livers meant we had already taken a 4? And so that must mean that the staff sees Gaines as a 3? Or did you mean it “was done with” because Donnie lost interest?

Edit: FWIW, I think it;s obvious that Gaines isn’t a 3. Especially not a Michigan 3

It was over with from the staff’s perspective because they viewed Donnie as a 4, apparently. If they consider Gaines a 3, but Donnie a 4, that is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Ball skills aren’t even remotely close, Donnie far superior in that regard.

I agree with your opinions on their skills, I just dont think that either should be playing the 3 (acknowledging that the 3 and 4 are very similar, in the offense). The staff obviously sees Livers as the 4 of the future, and I cant see Gaines or Tillman playing the 3 next to him, at the same time

Gaines seems like a back up option. There were wings the staff liked better, such as Justin Smith, who didn’t get offers. I’d be pretty surprised to see Gaines get an offer, but it doesn’t hurt to keep in touch with guys and programs.

1 Like

To be fair, Gaines is about to take three OVs and all we know is that Beilein stopped by an open gym. There’s at least a chance he’d commit on one of those visits before visiting Michigan. Seems like an opportunity to try to keep the option open depending on the next few weeks.

Another thing to think about is New Hampton has a new coach and Beilein is developing a relationship with him. New Hampton always has players and it’s best just “drop by” and see some kids every year, whether they are recruiting anyone or not. I’m not saying that they are recruiting Gaines hard or not but it’s one of those schools that will get you players.

1 Like

I hope this is the case, but unfortunately high school coaches just don’t have that much pull anymore. AAU coaches/programs are where the major influence comes in.

I think based on what we know about JB, he would much rather talk to the high school coach and develop a relationship with him (irrespective of whether that is best for recruiting).

And as you imply, that is an issue.

Though it did help with Matthews if I recall, though that appears to be an exception rather than the norm.