Zavier Simpson has Michigan playing gritty and pretty

Enjoyed this article. These two parts stuck out for me:

ā€œSimpson? He gives this self-scouting report: ā€˜Iā€™m not quick enough, Iā€™m not fast enough. My finishes are above average. My shooting is average. My ballhandling is average. My court vision is above average. Strength is definitely there. But overall I feel Iā€™m pretty average.ā€™ā€

ā€œBeilein, 64, has a reputation for being as orderly as the silverware he places in the dishwasherā€”he has been to known to demonstrate the proper technique to his familyā€”and as clean the dishes he pulls out. (When his wife, Kathleen, wanted him to autograph a basketball for his own doctor, Beilein made her go through the universityā€™s compliance office.)ā€

The last part on Beilein there is unsurprising, but made me laugh.

Do we agree with this?

At least five Wolverines have a better chance at an NBA career than Simpson does. Sophomore 6ā€™5" shooting guard Jordan Poole, who sank a buzzer-beater to oust Houston in the second round of the 2018 NCAA tournament, could play himself into a first-round pick. Freshman Ignas Brazdeikis, the teamā€™s leading scorer at 14.5 points per game, has the body (6ā€™7", 215 pounds) and skill set of a 25-year-old. Junior Charles Matthews has NBA athleticism and defensive ability at 6ā€™6", though not an NBA shooting stroke. Jon Teske, a 7ā€™1" center, would have been a first-rounder a generation ago; even in this small-ball era, he may get drafted. Sophomore Isaiah Livers is a tantalizing talent at forward.

Buy or sell five players on Michiganā€™s roster with better NBA chances?

Iā€™ve also mentioned that I donā€™t get the ā€œgeneration agoā€ thing with Teske. I think heā€™s a better fit for modern basketball than some prehistoric era of post play.

3 Likes

I buy on those five having better NBA chances, yup. I also agree with you on Teske ā€“ he is definitely a better fit for modern basketball than that of a ā€œgenerationā€ ago.

5 Likes

Considering I think Simpson has 0.1% chance at the NBA, yeah Iā€™d take all 5 of those, plus Johns and Castleton.

4 Likes

Simpson has a 0.1% chance because heā€™s small and canā€™t shoot? What if he shoots 40% from 3-point range as a senior? Could he not carve out a TJ McConnell type role?

What are the chances he shoots 40% from three as a senior? TJ McConnell is also bigger than X, although I doubt he is the full 6ā€™2 he is listed.

That being said, there is no chance Simpson is 6ā€™0 (as it says on MGoBlue). To be under 6 feet and play, much less succeed, in the NBA, you have to be an elite athlete or an amazing shooter, in my opinion. I donā€™t think Simpson qualifies for either. I just do not see it, personally.

Edit: apparently McConnell was measured at a true 6ā€™1.5 according to Draft Express.

2 Likes

Chances he carves out a TJ McConnell role? Yeah Iā€™d stick with that being an almost certainty to not happen. Literally .1% may be an exaggeration, but if Zavier ever gets anything other than a 10 day contract in the NBA Iā€™d be flat out shocked. Pumped for him, but completely shocked. A TJ McConnell role (role player on top 10 team) is more than Stauskas and Burke have even achieved.

I agree with everything Eric said

I guess I meant more the role (defense-first pass-first point guard) than the actual team, etc. They are just similar players in a lot of ways to my eye.

Not really trying to tout his NBA chances by any means, but I guess Iā€™m not really sold on Isaiah Liversā€™ NBA stock being crazy high either.

Beilein said he made some insane number of three from all spots on the court a few days ago in practice, ā€œDuncan Robinson numbers,ā€ I think he said. Ya never know. Would certainly love to think he could make it!

1 Like

I am not high on Livers as a pro, eitherā€¦ but just based on the outline of who he is as a player, he definitively has a better chance, in my opinion.

I am not super high on Teske making it, too, although I do think he has a chance if he can improve the consistency of his jump shot, as that would give him a positive offensive skill at the next level (he has been a very good P&R finisher this season, but not sure how well that will translate against NBA length, if we are being honest). Still, both have a greater chance than Simpson.

1 Like

Iā€™ll buy that with all five, and then potentially Johns and/or Castleton depending on their development. That said, itā€™s tough to imagine Simpson doesnā€™t at least get a Summer League look as well.

Or maybe he just goes full-Walton next season and sneaks his way into a roster spot in 2020/21. Who knows?

Am I the only one who thinks Livers has more NBA potential than Teske? At least Livers is a pretty good shooter and is athletic. Teske definitely has the height but heā€™s not really a good rebounder, isnā€™t particularly built/strong or particularly fast. Donā€™t get me wrong, heā€™s turned himself into a very solid college player but weā€™ve seen many times that even some stud college players canā€™t play in the NBA (Mateen Cleaves comes to mind).

For those thinking Teske can play in the NBA, which current NBA player would you compare him to? Iā€™m not seeing it.

1 Like

I donā€™t think anybody would say that Livers doesnā€™t have more potential than Teske. But the latter is closer to his at this moment. I view Teske as a high floor, low ceiling NBA prospect. I could definitely see him sticking around the league for a while as a third center due to his ability to alter shots, shoot and defend in space. But heā€™s never going to be a starter. Teams might be more inclined to take a project at center over him. Whereas with development, Livers could be your prototypical 3&D rotation player in the NBA because he has a good looking shot and can guard multiple positions. But he does have a longer road to reach his ceiling IMO.

2 Likes

Teskeā€™s always reminded me a bit of Meyers Leonard for some reason, although Leonard is a career 38% shooter from the NBA line.

Z nominated for Naismith Defensive POYā€“Dylan nailed it. ā€œZ-fence! Z-fence! Z-fence!ā€

Iā€™ve stood next to Simpson. He canā€™t be any taller than 5ā€™10ā€.

Also, how many NBA-level PGs has he defended the past two years? White from UNC is one off the top of my head and he had a pretty standard game against X with an O rating of 110.

Matthews has defended well against elite wing prospects like Langford so he has that to show NBA execs. Does Simpson?

Simpson didnā€™t defend White very much if at all, as I can recall. White isnā€™t a pg either. Def a shooting guard.

X did a commendable job against Brunson from Villanova.

PG from UCLA, Holiday, was a first round pic of Pacers. X didnā€™t start that game, I donā€™t believe, but he bothered the hell out of Holiday late in the game.

Iā€™m not saying this to proclaim X NBA worthy, just answering your question.

He made 82 out of 100 threes while on the move.

1 Like

The most ā€œdefensive conferenceā€ in the nation has only one nominee?
I guess that means heā€™s DPOY in B1G now.

1 Like