Wolverines with NBA Potential

Redick can put the ball on the floor and just doesn’t settle for 3s. Robinson doesn’t have a lot of confidence putting the ball on the floor at this moment and if you push him off the 3 point line he looks lost a lot of the time.

I watch a fair amount of Clippers games. You don’t want Redick trying to do anything off the dribble. And he’s awful on defense too like Duncan.

Thoughts? Rethink this post when the hangover wears off.

1 Like

Most of us know that NBA is mostly about projections and if you fit a certain height, weight, mold, etc… Every year guys get taken that were just above average college players based on their potential. The opposite is true too, All-Americans that are great college players don’t even get drafted. The NBA is a different game.

In my humble opinion I believe 2 players have an OUTSIDE chance. Robinson simply bc I do believe a great shooter has a place in the NBA. And I have said before I believe Wagner is going to be special. I may eat my words in 3 years from now, but I just see the potential there and think he COULD be tremendous. He is a young 18 yer old still.

I would hope we have one or more guys next year who can do better than 3rd Team All Big Ten, especially with Yogi, Valentine, Trimble, Uthoff, etc. likely gone. Otherwise what is everyone so excited about?

LA - think you’re underestimating Redick by a wide margin. Is he Kyrie Irving with the handle…not for a single second, however his playmaking is much better than one might think. While still primarily a catch and shoot player off down screens, he is able to create a bit off 1-2 dribbles. More importantly, he’s exponentially better than Robinson on defense (to be expected at the NBA level)…and quite frankly, he’s not that bad of a defender. I’d say average or slightly below average.

1 Like

I think you are missing what NBA GMs look for - when we say ‘potential’, that’s just code word for good athleticism in most cases. Contrary to popular belief, NBA development is MUCH better in relation to the collegiate level. NBA GMs generally want a high ceiling player as opposed to a high floor/low ceiling player. NBA is much more about athleticism because the pace of the game is just so much faster at that level. That being said, I have a hard time seeing Duncan Robinson in the NBA. He’s not an elite shooter against legit defense, and I think we all know that at this point. Good shooter yes, elite no. To put it in perspective, Nik is struggling in the league, and Duncan is nowhere near that level in terms of skill…

I just can’t believe people think Duncan Robinson can play in the NBA! He could barely get open in the B1G this year! I want everyone to remember GR3 was a 2nd round pick!! Duncan isn’t even close to him!

Let’s see here JJ Reddick broke the all time Duke scoring record! He has been in the league for some time. The two aren’t even comparable at any stage in their careers in college.

There is a fine line between optimism and foolishness and some people are crossing it

I was trying to be reserved about it…but yeah, in a nutshell, Duncan Robinson isn’t going to the league.

MattD, you and I definitely agree!

I was more or less responding to the question and naming players on our current roster with a potential and outside chance. I know I feel Robinson has a higher ceiling than you do, but I would be stunned if he plays in the NBA someday similar too you. But since the question was about our current roster, he still has a better chance in my mind than about anyone else… maybe that is where you and I agree that our rosters needs an upgrade.

MAAR is the only current roster member IMO that may have a chance at carving out a role in the league…he has some tools that can be utilized in the NBA. Has to tighten up the handle and jumpshot before that can happen though.

prattd - I was responding to the question, not insinuating I believe Robinson will play in the NBA.

at the same time you are comparing apples to oranges comparing GR3 and Robinson… totally different players and fill completely different roles at the next level.

The player who I will be most interested in seeing get better is Wagner. I wasn’t sure about him at first but he moves around great for legit 6’10". Given his youth. Correct me if I am wrong, he turns 19 next month right? Wagner might grow more and he will definitely add weight since he never lifted before. He has some real potential!

I always respect your opinion MattD, just different opinions on MAAR. He is solid in a bunch of areas, but truly not great at any one thing.

He has elite quickness. Skill set needs to be improved.

Wagner certainly has some nice potential…seems to have nice skillset for a guy 6’10. That being said, he’s very mechanical/robotic/stiff for purposes of the NBA. The question with him is can he defend the post or develop a back to the basket game. Don’t think he’ll ever be a shooter in the Channing Frye/Ryan Anderson mode, so he’ll have to be able to develop in other areas. He’ll never be athletic enough to defend a 3 in the league. Needs to be able to defend a 4 in the post/glass or develop a back to the basket game in order to be considered at the next level IMO. As JBlair stated, he will probably be a nice Euro player where skill is emphasized over physicality/athleticism.

I don’t think it’s comparing apples to oranges. GR3 is a very good athlete that was taken in the 2nd round. Duncan is a sub par athlete that would have to guard the 2s in the NBA. Stauskus is having major trouble in the league. He is a way better athlete than Duncan. It’s not going to happen. He will be lucky to play in Europe.

And I was responding more to the beginning of the thread on Duncan

We don’t have a single player on the roster that is great at any one thing other than Walton on the glass…and that doesn’t translate to the NBA at 5’11.

Wagner right now can’t figure out how the American game is officiated

is Wagner 18 or 19?