Why Michigan's offense is struggling, and three other thoughts on Michigan hoops

IMO, a lot of it comes down to just “make your shots.” I’ll probably continue to have complaints about PNR action being run through Iggy and Matthews too much, but besides that we tend to get good enough shots.

Yep, I think the catch and shoot numbers illustrate that. Guys just missing catch and shoot looks. There isn’t that big of a difference between a good catch and shoot three and a bad one. Not enough that your eFG% should drop 15-20%.

1 Like

However much we’re struggling right now, we are still going to be favored in our next ten B1G games.

If we can right the ship tomorrow ( against what is really not an imposing team ) I think we’ll get back on track in a big way.

Indiana is a pivotal opportunity to get us going again. Need to win this game.

This 100%. The Teske love was in overdrive today on WTKA with Sam-and his gang.

Debating whether he was Michigan’s greatest center ever. His post up abilities are very limited at this stage of development.

Made shots cure all ills.

1 Like

OFFENSIVE TWEAKS

“We’re in the middle of it right now. Just trying to evolve what we have and our team. What is Jon Teske giving us that he wasn’t giving us before?

What is Beilein saying here? Anyone? Anyone?

Whoa, I think mills, Howard, and traylor make that a ridiculous discussion.

1 Like

At assembly hall I think Indiana is still imposing.

Depends on who is catching and shooting. We have a couple of guys who are being forced into catch and shoot mode, who I’m not convinced come to that naturally or proficiently; Iggy and Charles. Jordan is better at it but is more likely to rush a shot now because of the identity of the program and the force that comes when other guys are missing their outside shots. Suppose Livers is somewhere in between on most days but I don’t have much confidence in his ball going in when he strokes it.

When Beilein said that have to shoot more I cringed because I knew exactly what was going to follow; mediocre shooters taking bad shots.

If I’m an opponent, I let them jack up quick shots from deep all day. And force them off the 3-line if a guy looks to be set because dribbling from that far out gums the team up, especially with guys who can’t pass to cutters or cutters who won’t look for passes.

Teske is a poor post up player. And his teammates show no interest in getting him the ball. Getting the ball into the post requires a commitment by the team and production by the post guy. Beilein’s teams rarely go that route.

And with the team struggling to manufacture points, Beilein has to emphasize defense. Little to no patience with mental lapses on defense.

First fix is to create opportunities with ball and player movement, less dribbling using screens.

We had to expect to see some of this after losing 3 guys with the skill sets that Wagner, Robinson and Wagner had.

And playing at IU is not an ideal place to go when trying to fix offensive woes. The rims are tight and the refs will be poised to call offensive fouls all day.

Also best believe that they will force feed Morgan knowing that UM has no real plan B post defender. And that Langford will be taking it off the dribble hoping that UM gets handsy on defense or auto switches to an obvious mismatch.

Really good time for team to get its mojo back.

1 Like

If you look at the chart in the article broken out by player, my point is just that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Livers probably doesn’t have a 68 eFG% long term on catch and shoot jumpers, but he’s probably not at the 34.6 eFG% that he is in Big Ten games. Same with Iggy, same with Poole having a 20% drop off.

1 Like