What's next in 2016?

Wouldn’t you guys think we should get back on Towns now? I mean, we do have enough creators for 2016, and to be honest, it’s unlikely that any elite PG would settle being a backup to Walton as a freshman. Rather than settling for a second tier PG, which we don’t truly need in 2016 with Walton, Battle and MAAR, why not consider Towns again, and get an elite PG in 2017 when he would start? Of course, it’s a log jam at the 3/4 but I don’t know, I like the new possibilities that came from this commitment. Definitely might change the recruiting strategy. Any thoughts?

Goodin has always been my favorite in this class. I think he can be a stud as a sophomore after getting time as a freshman behind Walton. Strong, defense, aggressive.

If I had to pick ONE, it would be him.

No way for Towns…too much overlap with existing personnel with Tyus in the mix now. Must have a PG.

it’s PG or bust!

@jivan: Definitely point guard.

No way for Towns.....too much overlap with existing personnel with Tyus in the mix now. Must have a PG.

But don’t you think that Winston and Goodin would pick a school where they could start right away? And in my mind, why get a second tier PG in 16. Why do we really need one? In 17, of course we need one, but why do you think 2016 is so necessary? Battle changes things a little, no?

No way for Towns.....too much overlap with existing personnel with Tyus in the mix now. Must have a PG.

But don’t you think that Winston and Goodin would pick a school where they could start right away? And in my mind, why get a second tier PG in 16. Why do we really need one? In 17, of course we need one, but why do you think 2016 is so necessary? Battle changes things a little, no?

Tyus is a wing player that has a plus handle, whereas Langford is a true creator if that makes sense. Still need a PG even with Tyus.

One thing I love about Tyus’ game is his ability to shift his body in the air when he’s attacking the basket. He was very impressive in that regard at camp last June.

Double post

Tyus was sold on being the primary creator – at the two position. Essentially the Caris LeVert, Nik Stauskas role.

Michigan is in a good spot now because it can put the hard sell on a 2016 PG, but also put the hard sell on the class of 2017 with offer day a month and a few days away.

If Tyus was sold on being the primary creator Dylan from the two spot how do you think it would effect his commitment if say Winston gave his commitment to us as well?

With Walton and Trey in the past the two spot saw plenty of creating opportunities but if a top PG gave us a commitment do you think Tyus could waver in his commitment? I hope not.

Do we know of any PG targets in 2017 class? I see Trae Young is listing us now.

Tyus is a wing player that has a plus handle, whereas Langford is a true creator if that makes sense. Still need a PG even with Tyus.

Yes it does make sense. But based on Tyus’ and his dad’s quotes about how it’s important for him to be creator, combo guard, don’t you think our staff suggested to him that he would do this in Michigan, which explains the sudden commitment? If that’s true, the need for a PG might not be as important as it seemed (talking about minutes, not about talent for this position).
All this is just talk, not based on any facts, just wondering about possibilities.

@jivan: Definitely point guard.

I’m thinking that we will continue to cast a wide net, but it’s hard to believe that Winston is not going to get a lot of love from the staff going forward. I still think he’s our number 1 priority right now. Recruiting is all about perception and momentum, and the Battle commitment certainly helps break down the door going forward. I’m of the persuasion that we are in the Winston sweepstakes till the end.

If Tyus was sold on being the primary creator Dylan from the two spot how do you think it would effect his commitment if say Winston gave his commitment to us as well?

With Walton and Trey in the past the two spot saw plenty of creating opportunities but if a top PG gave us a commitment do you think Tyus could waver in his commitment? I hope not.

I wouldn’t think so.

Do we know of any PG targets in 2017 class? I see Trae Young is listing us now.

Young is filling it up with 20 pts and 4 asts per game in EYBL. Pretty filthy numbers for a kid playing up a year.

I think that Winston could fit well in the offense with Battle and Walton. He can shoot the three and is a good creater and we could easily play walton and Winston at the same time.

Or we could take a tier two guy that can be a back up guard who plays 25 minutes a game and get an elite 17 PG

I think Goodin, right now, is more of a combo guard vs a pure PG, and in that case I like Brown over Goodin.
MattD- "Brown is by far the furthest wing player on our board to a real PG, whereas Goodin the second purest OG in our board........your post doesn't really add up in my opinion."

Well, since the staff is clearly recruiting Brown as a PG/combo guard, I’ll stick with my post. Goodin is down the list of kids I want. Brown is a better talent. We don’t need a pure point in '16 if we miss on Winston.

With Battle and Walton as the starting guards, Spike gone, Rak fills the combo guard spot. If we can pull in a pure point that’s is what we should do first and foremost. A guy who can learn the system for a year without the pressure of starting and being counted on as a primary producer. That way they are comfortable come the following year when they will be looked at to start. Taking a combo guard would be roster redundancy with Rak already available. In that scenario we put pressure on ourself the in 17’ to get a starting caliber PG to start as a freshman.