What's next in 2016?

Hell, lets swing for the fence ha ha… Levert and Zak blow up next season and both go 1st round… Go and nab The 2 Josh to add with Battle. Josh Jackson and Josh Langford. One can dream right?

I think they wait out for Winston. But my personal second option at combo is Bruce Brown.

My question is, does the staff recruit as if Austin Davis is going to prep a year as has been implied by some. We should find out as soon as next month if Cumberland camps and is still offered.

In a dream world, Langford and Battle are the new Thorton/Battle package deal, they would like to play together.

So… Can/will they take TWO more?.. Should be interesting to watch.

I would assume they back off Langford now and focus on a PG? Would love to have both but I imagine JL isn’t the priority at this point.

I’d still go hard at Brown, Goodin, and Winston until after July.
Then start entertaining Walker and some other options.

This definitely eases the tension but certainly has to make us more hungry to finish off the class well. Having most of the class already full helps give us the chance to put all attention where needed.

I’d still keep recruiting Langford. Let him play PG if he wants, that kid is so skilled.
And stay in touch with other options in case of attrition, unexpected early entrants, etc.

I take the best player willing to come. I'm fine with junior Rahk being the back up point guard if we fill up our last spot with Langford.
At the point I don't think that MAAR is ready to run the offense. in a year, maybe. Another possiblility is to move Chatman to the back court.
It would be in a year

You need multiple guys on the court that can bring it up against pressure defenses. I think you still need a pure point guard. Love Brown’s game in addition to the obvious two mentioned. Not sure if he is a point guard or a scoring guard with a decent handle…but it would help to have someone who could dish as well as score.

it’ll be interesting to see what comes out on this in the next few days, but there’s no way the staff tells Langford to get stepping. Just no way. I understand that Michigan may have lost its luster in his eyes with Irvin and Battle both taking lots of shots and PT, but this is a kid you find room for. We are technically full, but Davis is flexible to give us one spot and then someone is going to leave next year with the competition that we’ll have…especially in the front court (4 position) with Wilson, CHatman, Wagner, Robinson and even potentially Irvin moving to the front court if they prefer to start Aubrey at the 3… There’s probably a 1 in 100 chance all five of those guys return next year. You don’t turn down Josh Langford for a 1 in 100 chance. I could see cooling on Cumberland etc though. Zak could be an early entrant candidate himself if he plays like he did those last couple weeks. 12 scholarship players and we’ve traditionally played 8 to 9.

I’m curious. Does this suggest Towns wanted to commit and M put him off? Or was cooling on Towns more a function of Wagner committing? Or neither of these had any effect on M’s recruitment of Towns?

Kevin Huerter is considering a year in prep school too! Surprising, but I don’t expect it too happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I would take Langford at positions 1 through 5, he is great. Just think they are likely to back off now that they have a solid 2 guard and may be looking for a pure PG, especially since the superpowers are now gunning hard for Langford.

Also, for discussion’s sake: Depending on Spike’s recovery from surgery, I wonder how the prospect of potentially giving him a medical redshirt might impact the recruiting strategy for 2016 vs 2017. I assume he’ll be ready to play in the fall but what if he’s not? What if, say, Winston has already committed by that point?

If we don’t get Winston or one of the others we’ve been on for awhile, I could see Bryce Aiken being someone they pursue. Aiken, who has been attracting Michigan interest of late, was Battle’s AAU teammate last year, and has shown an ability to be productive as a secondary piece on a loaded AAU team (Battle, Cheick Diallo, Thomas Bryant), or a primary piece on this year’s team. He’s a bit more scorer/shooter than pure PG, but he’s good, and yet not so good as to scare off a highly rated guy in '17.

Definitely don’t like the fit between Aiken and Battle. Would much rather have a pass firs OG, or at least a PG where passing is a significant attribute. With Battle the PG board for me is Winston, Goodin, Walker in that order.

Definitely don't like the fit between Aiken and Battle. Would much rather have a pass firs OG, or at least a PG where passing is a significant attribute. With Battle the PG board for me is Winston, Goodin, Walker in that order.

Not a big Walker fan–he reminds me of Ronnie Johnson, and I was never a big Johnson fan. I also don’t see him as a better passer than Aiken–both are small scorers rather than pure PGs. Aiken shoots much better. Of the two, I prefer Aiken, and given that Battle can create with the ball, I think the better shooter may be the more valuable commodity. Obviously, I’d prefer Winston or Goodin to either.

From watching them in Lexington, I think it’s pretty close but might lean Aiken over Walker.

Kevin Huerter is considering a year in prep school too! Surprising, but I don't expect it too happen. http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/05/new_syracuse_basketball_recruit_kevin_huerter_open_to_the_idea_of_a_year_at_prep.html

Yep, the 2017 thing is interesting. I assume Syracuse wants him to do that because of scholarship penalties, but he’s very young for his grade as well.

I’d go Aiken over Walker as well but I still don’t think we need a true point in '16 if Winston dosent come. Combo G would suit just fine if true PG options are more plentiful in '17.

I think Goodin, right now, is more of a combo guard vs a pure PG, and in that case I like Brown over Goodin.

I think Goodin, right now, is more of a combo guard vs a pure PG, and in that case I like Brown over Goodin.

Brown is by far the furthest wing player on our board to a real PG, whereas Goodin the second purest OG in our board…your post doesn’t really add up in my opinion.

Goodin and Winston are 1A and 1B on my board. Goodin’s upside is outstanding, but winston would be an outstanding fit with his ability to run the PNR and shoot the pill

When I watched Cumberland/King James this weekend, Xavier Simpson looked pretty good. Scored from deep twice, had some nice floaters in the lane and racked up 4-5 assists. I think the staff may give him a look if things don’t progress with Winston or Goodin.