What we learned: Reflecting on Michigan's 2018-19 season

Davis is not gonna transfer unless he graduates.

3 Likes

Are you an insider or a crystal ball?

2 Likes

Davis has said before that he loves it at Michigan and has already redshirted so if he were to transfer as an undergrad he would sit and lose a year of eligibility (unless he transferred down a level). Itā€™s possible he could get his degree in three years but the more likely scenario IMO is that he is on the team next season and then leaves Michigan as a graduate with immediate eligibility.

3 Likes

Not only that, they lost only three games to non-Final Four teams, and all were on the road.

Thanks Dylan for the recap. I just want to say it was an incredibly fun season to watch, and Iā€™m sad to see it come to an end. Canā€™t wait to see how the rotation shakes out next year. If Matthews is the only departure, Michigan will probably have its deepest team of the Beilein era in terms of talent. Letā€™s all enjoy this golden age of Michigan basketball while it lasts!

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that Jordan comes back and the Drip Brothers become the internationally-renowned core of Beileinā€™s best-ever team. I think if Jordan becomes a real threat to drive that can open up the offense for more wide-open three pointers; I also think we finally get some twin towers stuff happening with Castleton and Teske! Just riffing, of course, but this team can be really really good next year.

Twin towers ā€“ what a concept here with this coach. Never say never with John Beilein at the helm, but whoa what a weird reality that would be. That said, if you want to get your five best players on the floor then Castleton and Teske probably have to play together.

I personally donā€™t think we see it. I think that as much as I love Teske, Castleton is going to push him for minutes if he can make the 3 at a higher rate, face up and put it on the deck like Wagner, or post on switched mismatches.

If all three wings are gone from this team I think thereā€™ll be enough options. Can Livers defend 3s, or do we need to keep him at the 4 spot? Can Johns defend 3s? Ideally one of Bajema or Wilson are ready to go. It would be nice to have that passing ability Bajema reportedly has back in the lineup at a spot other than Simpsonā€™s.

At the 2, if Poole goes, a three-guard rotation of Z, Brooks and DDJ seems fine. Assuming Brooks stays. DDJ didnā€™t show enough to make it a foregone conclusion, though I think he will next year, once he gets enough playing time to get in rhythm from 3. Certainly itā€™d be great if Nunez is ready as well.

Gonna be really interesting. Looking forward to the offseason coverage as these things become clear.

I donā€™t see how this ends up being optimal. Michigan needs two reliable options at center first and foremost. Playing them together doesnā€™t really gain you anything. The biggest problem with this team was that Teske didnā€™t have a reliable backup. Thatā€™s what Castletonā€™s goal needs to be.

3 Likes

What do you see Jaron Faulds role being with the team next year? (If any.) And do you think his presence might impact any scholarships that possibly open up?

Tough to say on his role. I could see him providing some low post depth but havenā€™t really seen him play (we donā€™t see practice) so tough to really say one way or another. I wouldnā€™t expect him to impact the scholarship situation because heā€™s a preferred walk-on. If Michigan goes into the season having extras, then obviously he could get one but it wouldnā€™t be a situation where Michigan ā€œusesā€ a scholarship on him instead of bringing someone else in.

Not only do I think he ā€œcanā€ be a real threat to drive, if he comes back, and I certainly hope he does, he WILL be a real threat to drive! Just my opinion.

Now the twin towers thingā€¦Uhhh, I dunno! :grinning:

Can I ask what is the difference between a ā€˜preferredā€™ walk-on, and a regular walk-on?

1 Like

That makes sense to me. Coach is not going to overhaul his offense for a year because he has a great center and another who can really use more than 10 minutes a game as a backup.

A preferred walk-on is recruited to come to the school and play, just as a walk-on.

A regular walk-on is more like someone who tries out in the fall and makes the team as a practice player but was already at the school for other reasons.

1 Like

The bench didnā€™t see much playing time because each time someone got a shot they proved they werenā€™t ready. I think kids understand reality, if and when they get a shot and they realize they arenā€™t ready. Johns, DDJ, and Brooks all had shots at regular rotation and came up short - until Brooks figured things out near post-season (supposedly after joining the Scout team to act like Cassius).

I was kind of riffing. . . John has never cottoned to that idea, and I doubt he would next year, either.

1 Like

Castleton may push Teske for minutes, but I think that Teske is a star of the B1G next year. In fact, if Fernandoā€™s gone with Happ, isnā€™t he a likely first B1G all-first team? I do think theyā€™re going to be practicing throwing it in to him this summer and fall, too. . .

1 Like

Just to be clear, I wasnā€™t speculating about transfers, I was summarizing what Dylan had stated and wondering how we could be considered in good shape if all of those things were to happen.

Not sure about pushing him for minutes, in the sense of playing as well or better. Castleton should be a regular rotation player at the 5 next year, but Teske played 30 mpg in the Big Ten this season, which is about where you want him as the starter. Castleton will hopefully be getting at least 10-12 mpg next year as a backup, but heā€™ll likely be taking the minutes from other players.

2 Likes

So who plays behind Teske next year?Castleton or Faulds? Can Castleton play the 4? Alot of questions for the staff to think about in the offseason. I guess this will all shake out once we find out if/who is leaving and if/who might transfer in.