What They’re Saying: Preseason magazines weigh in on Michigan’s 2022-23 outlook

But when considering where these teams stand it’s not just backcourts. Would you rather have Hoggard+Walker (which seems somewhat redundant in the first place) and Mady Sissoko or Paul Mulcahy and Cliff Omoruyi?

What does a Michigan State offense that finished 6th in the Big Ten last year look like without its 3 leading scorers and the only two guys who even attempted 100 threes on the team?

What about defensively where they also finished 6th last year, lose their only rim protector, replace him with three complete unknowns, and the safest answer is likely “more Joey Hauser”.

All of this feels like choosing which poison tastes better. Everybody in this conference is gonna be pretty bad outside of the top 3, and teams will appear better than they actually are because they “aren’t Rutgers” or insert any other team between 4-14.

I just personally don’t see it with MSU, and I think Mulcahy’s production for significant stretches of last season warrants mention among a very very weak group of returning players across the conference.

What is overrated for Indiana? Top 15? I’m pretty sold that they will be a borderline top 25 team. I think people who put them top 10 because they can’t pick anyone else to win the big 10 are a little out there, but any team that Is expected to be ranked 25-30 has a reasonable chance be a top 15 team.

4 Likes

I haven’t done my whole poll, but on my first draft I had Rutgers ahead of MSU and had both teams right next to each other. So I feel like they stand pretty similarly and don’t disagree with you there.

I’m very high on Cliff and the Rutgers defense and not particularly high on MSU.

I think both teams have some pretty obvious weaknesses though.

1 Like

I think the Big Ten is for sure down talent-wise but the depth is solid and I’m not sure the Big East or ACC is good enough to pass them this season. The Big 12 also might have a really bad team in Kansas State which could drag them down like the 0-18 Iowa State team – but Bart somehow has them 42nd.

I do think there’s a good chance Wisconsin is just bad. That roster is rough and even the program foundation didn’t save them from a 7-11 season in 2018 and that was with Ethan Happ and Brad Davison on the roster.

1 Like

Lots of good stuff to piece thru here. I know we are talking conference here but I really think MSUs non-con schedule is going to make or break them. They could be so beaten down by that BRUTAL schedule or could make them stronger. I would probably put Rutgers ahead of them but I do think Dylan’s point of putting Cliff on MSU makes them a contender is spot on. That is such a glaring hole for them and to have a piece like that would elevate their whole roster.

I could see Purdue being a dark horse candidate. While they lose a lot of talent it is possible the pieces just fit better this year. I do think its fair to question Painter after the past few years but this roster being in his “comfort zone” is a good take. I still don’t know who besides IU would be the favorite. I would probably lean Michigan but Purdue wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Not sure on TJD being player of the year over Hunter. I’m sure it will come down to whose team is more successful. Lindy’s seems quite optimistic on the B1G but I do like their take of Kris Murray being 2nd team AA over Hunter and TJD (3rd team).

The league being so up in the air is going to make for a lot of interesting discussion.

I am ready for 8 million different Izzo press conferences about how their schedule is unfair and the team wasn’t ready for it yet

4 Likes

Probably the same press conference that he will say about how they have a lack of depth and how hard it is when you only have 9 scholarship players.

And any injuries that come up…don’t forget they are the only team that has to work around injuries! (On a serious note, I could totally see this Aikens stress reaction being a lingering/limiting thing)

4 Likes

“I just wish the team I have now, could play those games”

7 Likes

Thank you. So true. No volume of reminders is too many, really.

1 Like

After a 15 point win at home vs Northwestern

6 Likes

Had to play some weird guys

1 Like
8 Likes

This is a good look - three upperclassman (no seniors that have been on the team previously)

1 Like

Juwan’s first recruiting class

10 Likes

While I agree that they look pretty bad on paper, that 2018 team was the first time they missed the tourney in like 20 years. You can almost always plug them into the top 5-6 of the conference, and I bet that they will be again this year. Somehow.

Just took a deep dive on Illinois and man that’s a weird roster. You’ve got Shannon, Mayer, Hawkins, Melendez, and Rodgers all on the wing and then the backcourt is all freshmen including one coming off an ACL tear? Underwood’s been flexible before but can he make that work? Hawkins to me is like the reverse Bezhanishvili. I like him a lot as a stretch 4 but is he going to get stuck playing 25 minutes a night at the 5?

I guess what I’m saying is I can see how people are talking themselves into Indiana as the favorite.

1 Like