Video: DeVante' Jones, Eli Brooks and Brandon Johns at Michigan Media Day 2021

2 Likes

Wow now that’s what you call a small ball 5. 6’5 (6’6 tops) at the five would be a spectacle to behold.

2 Likes

Positionless basketball? I just have a feeling with TWill that he really is a swiss army knife.

He played some small ball 5 last year IIRC

2 Likes

Yes, I believe he did. And I remember seeing him in one of the games in the backcourt helping on press break. Swiss army knife.

Yeah I was gonna say that’s hardly surprising since it happened last year. Given his strength and motor he makes a lot of sense as a small ball 5.

1 Like

I don’t remember that. What games did he play as a small ball 5? That’s wild to me. Usually 6’7-6’8 guys are small 5s and he’s even shorter. Martelli called him 6’5 on the radio last week. That is incredibly small as a 5, especially in the Big Ten haha. I’m trying to think about what teams he would even be able to play the 5 against. Certainly not against any of the other contenders.

I mean it’s weird in the B1G but not elsewhere. Don’t know what his reach is but how big of a difference is it between him and Johns guarding the post? Terrence could be better at guarding than post than Johns even if he’s shorter tbh. Grant Williams is the usual example given.

If he’s in against backup Cs are we worried about any of them scoring on the block (besides Edey of course)? Even any of the starters besides Kofi and Trevion?

I know Johns is an easy target for people around here, but Johns is actually a pretty good post defender and significantly longer and more athletic. I’d be surprised if Terrence defends the 5 better. Where Johns can have a hard time is defending on the perimeter.

But you make a good point that Terrence probably will only play small ball 5 against backup centers where he’d be more than capable. With this roster construction, it would be a little odd to have stretches with none of Dickinson, Diabate or Johns on the floor though.

3 Likes

Frankly, I think TWill is kind of a “break glass in case of emergency” five. I believe the order at the five will be Hunter (of course!), Moussa, and then Johns. Terrence is a terrific kid with the attitude that will help him have success wherever the coaching staff plays him, but I believe he will be a three/four. If he plays the five it will be “in case of emergency.”

1 Like

Your classic Zak Novak at the five because everything is on fire situation

2 Likes

Zak can guard Blake Griffin no worries

3 Likes