UCLA, USC reportedly joining Big Ten

That already doesn’t happen all the time

1 Like

I feel like we’re moving to 3 main conferences. ACC, SEC and Big 10. I don’t like it, but it makes too much sense from a TV rights standpoint for football. I’ve seen some folks speculating on what the PAC 12 and Big 12 can do to stay relevant, but even merging at this point doesn’t give them a seat at the table with these 3.

1 Like

it does now, they made protected basketball rivalries

3 Likes

14 Likes

NGL adding UCLA and Cal would be f@cking dope just in terms of having the most formidable collection of public schools on the planet in one conference. UM vs UCLA or Cal would be a really cool rivalry.

It makes literally zero sense.

2 Likes

The end game is the top 50 or so programs breaking away from the NCAA, which will really suck for CBB. Likely will ruin the tournament unless they find a workaround to keep that intact. In the meantime the B1G and SEC form the two super conferences while the remaining B12/P12/ACC teams and maybe a couple others form 2-3 lesser conferences. ACC by no means will be a super conference, they will be way behind the top two in revenue.

A bummer that football TV money is the cause of all this

4 Likes

Only thing i care about: does bill Walton now call some big ten games?? I know most of y’all hate him but he’s so electric.

12 Likes

I almost threw up.

9 Likes

FWIW my understanding is that the $$ incentive here is per team payouts in the TV deals. The difference between most of what’s left outside the B1G and SEC and what the B1G gets per team is massive. Adding another team that doesn’t raise the average decreases the per team payout.

Point being, it’s not obvious this will lead to anything other than maybe ND for the B1G. Could imagine UNC being big enough of a brand + growing market to be worth it? Go track down the average viewers per game by school and work backward from there.

2 Likes

This means atleast that the Big Ten can claim another basketball national title in 1995. Looking forward on BTN watching UCLA classics 1995 basketball.

7 Likes

b1g is going double the pac 12 in tv payouts

2 Likes

it depends on when the contracts are signed and whatnot since new deals inevitably look much better than old deals but yeah I looked up the $$ last year for one of these threads and the diffs are wild. B1G well ahead of SEC too, iirc.

@umhoops are you pumped for weeknight games at Pauley and the Galen Center that tip at 10, 10:30, or 11 Eastern???

1 Like

I’d much rather cover a game at Pauley or the Galen Center than fly to Iowa City in a blizzard :slight_smile: Sign me up for a little Friday/Sunday west coast trip in late January.

21 Likes

I would think Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon will be looking to join. Or, maybe adding Kansas makes a little more sense now?

2 Likes

If your looking to get to 20 (or 24???)then sure add those but I’m not sure that moves the needle much outside of Oregon.

If you are going to 20 with a splash the some combo of ND, UNC, UVa have to be a consideration. Duke and Kansas if you are looking a mega bball conference but I’m not sure football wise what they would bring. I get you want to balance out the West but I just don’t see the appeal to those schools, or even Cal and Stanford if your going the academic route.

2 Likes

Two more Pac 12 schools (out of Oregon, Cal, Stanford) seems to make sense IMO.

9 Likes

I would not be shocked at all if it’s two super conferences instead of 3 and the ACC splits up. In which case, add North Carolina and Virginia to the Big Ten.

2 Likes

ACC unraveling feels likely with Clemson, FSU and those type of schools ripe to get picked off by the SEC.

3 Likes

Crazy world.

4 Likes