Tom Izzo post-game presser

Davante is a career 33% 3 point shooter over 4 years yet Izzo describes him as a 17% 3 point shooter (which I think was his % in conference play entering the game). Pretty poor game planning if you were treating him like a 17% shooter(complete non factor) instead of someone you at least need to close out on. Telling on yourself there, Tom

13 Likes

And Terrance is shooting 37% from deep this year, and was 6/16 (.375) in big ten play entering that game. He was wide open on those attempts last night. The only reason he doesn’t have more makes is most other teams have played him off the floor.

2 Likes

I’m sorry guys but get out of your bubble. These are your Izzo gripes after Juwan just tried to punch a coach over nothing and almost started a major brawl? I love me some Michigan and I love Juwan, but you guys are absurd

Just last week, Izzo defended the handshake line by saying that “Kids need to MAN UP and go through the line and shake the opponent’s hand.” Guess he doesn’t apply that advice to himself.

3 Likes

I am fine with the Izzo jokes but Johns, Jones and Williams went 5-of-6 … are you guys really acting like that isn’t a pretty wild 3-point swing?

Guys who don’t take and make threes in Big Ten games are guys you can be upset when they make threes. To be fair on the other side, Akins hit 2-of-2 and that was some found money for MSU.

Some Spartan fans were saying the same thing last night.

1 Like

It’s so sad that Tom Izzo’s point guards are always hurt or injured or, most importantly, walking on their knees

If only there were someone on staff to construct the roster and manage rotations…if only

2 Likes

It definitely was, but the fact that Izzo always singles out the outlier performances on his opponents team is really weird to me. And calling Jones a 17% shooter is not really a fair description

7 Likes

He did the same thing in 2018 after we beat them in the BTT. He made a comment about Matthews making 2 straight threes in the beginning of the game as unexpected or something.

Pretty sure he made a similar comment in 2020 about Simpson when he went 4-7 from 3 because Izzo literally refused to let anyone go within 5 feet of him on the 3 point line.

5 Likes

He going to comment on Sissoko’s performance too? Speaking of outliers…Whine more, Izzo.

3 Likes

``…and now we go to the press room for Tom Izzo’s Outlier Performance of the Game, presented to you by The Wine Box, where we offer East Lansing’s finest by-the-gallon selection."

10 Likes

Your username checks out

3 Likes

These Izzo complaints way predate Juwan-gate

3 Likes

Oh it definitely is a huge swing. No doubt about that. But isn’t it still a little funny that a guy who’s been a coach for as long as I’ve been alive acts so flabbergasted by it? A couple of streaky shooters made a couple of (wide open) threes. It’s not like he just witnessed Kobe Bryant score 81.

4 Likes

People can be upset about more than one thing, you know.

4 Likes

Last I checked, this morning, he was at 33% (32.8).

Not sure what Juwan’s face slap of Joel Higgenbottom has to do with the discussion Izzo being a baby and disrespecting players on both teams by calling them out by name after his team lost.

13 Likes

Absolutely. I would hate that. The caveat I would apply here is that this is literally what he’s known to be like, as a coach. And this is who these players wanted to be coached by.

1 Like

It would be funny if a reporter followed up with a question like “ok but you had a few weak shooters who made a few as well, so do you think that’s really what swung the game?”

I would pay that reporter.

5 Likes

What I don’t get about Izzo here is that if he thinks it was such a fluke that we made those threes in the first half, why didn’t he double Hunter in the second half and dare us to keep shooting from downtown? Clearly trying to man up on Hunter wasn’t working.

6 Likes