Taking Pistons on as my new second team

I think his draft slot was roughly where he was projected?

I mean yes, people had concerns but He was young for his draft class and praying top level French pro basketball, so people saw measurables and his age and figured he could learn that stuff. As I was googling earlier, I found an article from Kevin O’Connor at the Ringer calling him the best prospect in the draft (Kevin O’Connor has never once been right on a prospect)

3 Likes

He is quite good at D and playmaking but the complete offensive no show makes it all pretty pointless

I think he went in slot of his projection at the time though I thought he was overrated coming out of French league. I preferred Haliburton but then again, the Pistons don’t get Cade with Haliburton because they wouldn’t be bad to tank for Cade.

1 Like

I think it’s becoming clear that they need to tank this year, right? I think there is only 1 team I’m positive is worse (Houston) and a second I’d say is comparable (Orlando). One of those bottom 3 slots is definitely in reach here. I’m not advocating they do anything different than they are, as that seems pretty effective. More Killian Hayes!

2 Likes

The bench unit is doing the tanking for them but I do want to see progress from the core players. I need to see more wins than last season which is a fair expectation IMO. They all need to learn how to win games together or we’ll lose the core because they don’t want to stay due to the constant losing.

1 Like

I’m not advocating they put Cade, Ivey, Duren, Bey on ice.

I think they are perfectly capable of losing while playing those guys.

1 Like

Let’s take this year to mess with Cade’s shot. I remember the 3 ball being a low-release push last year, but don’t remember it being so ugly. Can’t Our Man Beilein make it pretty? (and bonus points if it goes in more)

1 Like

I think they tried to change it this offseason, and that’s the foreboding thing. I generally don’t support changing a players shot unless its super broke

3 Likes

Yeah, Cade shot 40% in college and they tried fixing his shot which Cade is struggling with 3 pt accuracy. They probably shouldn’t have messed with his shooting IMO.

2 Likes

Last offseason, wasn’t it? Did they this offseason too?

1 Like

I don’t know - Cade actually takes a bunch of mid-rangers (33% of his shots are 10 feet to the three point line) and shoots nearly 50% from there. I’m not sure his three pointer is broken, at least I’m not yet.

1 Like

That’s kinda in the back of my head. I hate the look of his 3 and it’s so damn flat and springs off the rim, but If he’s going to continue to hid midrangers like he is this year, then he can shoot in the low-mid 30s from 3 and no biggie. Serious weapon from 10-15 feet.

I’ve seen every game except the Knicks one and I’ve seen some improvement from where they looked the first two weeks (which was pretty awful.) Cade is more aggressive. Ivey’s been in more control. Bey’s 2pt% has gone up. Stewart is anticipating drop offs earlier and has gotten to the free throw line more and finished better. He’s also no longer setting soft screens. Bojan is awesome.

The bench is awful. Duren/Noel is fine. Livers is fine. CoJo is fine. But you can’t have Hami and Killian out there with Duren/Noel.

1 Like

“Cade Cunningham is shooting 49.5% while putting up 25-5-5 in his past four games, the only Piston not named Grant Hill to do so in the past 30 seasons. Overall, Cunningham put up 27.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 7.5 assists during that span.”

This is a pretty good start, shooting form be darned.

3 Likes

Yeah Bielein was actually working with Cade on his 3 point shot last off-season. Didn’t see anything in a quick search about working on it this past off-season.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s how I’d recalled it too.

Kevin Knox having to play the 5 right now lol

They are getting eaten alive at the 5, 46 total points from the Cavs there.

Love was doing most of his damage as the 4. Cavs a tough matchup regardless, but especially with all the Pistons’ injuries at the 5. Livers had a real tough time guarding Love.