Taking Pistons on as my new second team

I was at the game. It was not pleasant (except seeing Levert demonstrate some surprising PG chops.)

They had an abundance of C on the roster and now they donā€™t have much depth there lol

1 Like

I actually think theyā€™re about to get going.

Agreed. I think heā€™s best as a rotational big. In a few years he could develop into a starting big on the right team but I think heā€™s viewed a lot differently if heā€™s your energy big playing 20-25 on a veteran / good team versus a very young team thatā€™s a couple years away.

If you threw beef stew as a big off the bench on a playoff contender right now , heā€™d get a lot more love as the 8-9th guy , playing 15 minutes a night and what he does well would be much more useful and acceptable.ā€™

1 Like

Yeah, heā€™d be a Grant Williams, Bobby Portis, Keyvon Looney-type. Of course, Looney starts, but thatā€™s just because heā€™s surrounded by a lot of talent.

Aside from his meh-shooting from 3, Stew is putting up really good numbers for us. His 12.7 points, 9.7 rebounds would be career-high averages, and heā€™s hitting 63% of his 2ā€™s.
However, Bey and Boji arenā€™t playing good D (Bey really surprises me that heā€™s troubled on that end) and too much falls upon him. I think even adding Bagley, though not a good defender, would at least give some length and rebounding to the starting line-up and lightening Stewā€™s load.

But, down the road, I think he and Duren will switch roles.

And, of course the dream for next year would be a starting line-up of:

Cade
Ivey
Bey or Boji
Wemby
Duren

1 Like

Donā€™t give me hope. Donā€™t let me start dreaming about this as the Pistons lineup

I donā€™t hate:

Scoot
Ivey
Cade
Bey
Duren

Yes there is significantly less length at the 4, but 1) the 4 isnā€™t a position, itā€™s just another wing, and 2) that is a LOT of shooting, speed and ball handling. That team could be outrageously fun.

2 Likes

Really short team there. I mean, if weā€™re picking #2, thatā€™s probably the pick to take. It just presents some issues.

I would prefer Wemby, for sure!

But this draft pick wonā€™t make them a title contender. There will be more work afterwards. I guess my point is the team is well positioned. This outcome would also be super attractive.

Why would things be different? Another 1st pick overall, none of the vets have learned how to win. At that stage its a losing culture.

Nothing builds a winning culture like talent.

4 Likes

Benchā€™s net rating is -36

Youā€™d prefer not to have a potential-generational player added to the roster?

The Pistons should trade Cade for Moses Moody. Both lottery picks in the same draft but only Moses really knows how to win.

5 Likes

Pistons 2nd round pick and Bogdanovic or Bagley for Ben Simmons. Who says no?

The Pistons.

2 Likes

I think I agree. Amazing how low Simmons has fallen. Ok less realistic bc of salary rules but would you trade Saddiq B for Simmons?

Because the salaries donā€™t come close to matching, I would have a hard time creating the scenario that works. Simmons and Watanabe for Bojan, Noel, CoJo, and Knox works, but Iā€™d probably want some picks coming back from Brooklyn. Simmons does give you defense, which the Pistons sorely need, but heā€™s a lot like a 6ā€™10" Killian right now. With a 35M per year price tag attached, thatā€™s a lot to swallow for a role player.

1 Like

I donā€™t think a team with a young roster still finding their way would take Simmons at any price.

The Pistons need more shooters not less. Ben Simmons is wayyyyy less of a shooter and more of a Cade Cunningham with worse offense and better defense.