State orders department wide 14-day shutdown for Michigan Athletics

Known exposure to a positive and symptoms, I believe.

7 Likes

Yeah just doesn’t really make a ton of sense for a blanket AD shutdown…

Also sounds like it was a student athlete who went overseas in presumably a personal trip caused this…

They could conceivably make up these games but if they did I would prefer they not play in the Big Ten tournament. Asking them to play a max of 13 games in a month before the NCAA Tournament isn’t the best idea.

3 Likes

I’m sort of in shock. This feels like that Utah-OKC game that kicked off the whole thing last year

4 Likes

If that’s the case, I’m glad we played yesterday if we were going to get shut down anyway.

Making up five games would be incredibly difficult. Four is borderline already.

2 Likes

am I right to assume that that State public health actually pretty much does have complete power over UM athletics as UM requires an exception that allows it to conduct indoor contact sports, which are otherwise banned for now?

I said this earlier. This is total bullshit

1 Like

Didn’t high school football just play their championship games at Ford Field today?

1 Like

It’s great that Michigan’s 1 seed season is getting derailed because of blatant negligence in either the women’s water polo or field hockey program… Awesome.

15 Likes

This is really the heart of the matter. And it just sux.

How was a U-M athlete allowed to go to a foreign country and then return to the state completely unchecked?!

15 Likes
3 Likes

Can we not find a work around for the basketball team?

3 Likes

evidently not

Man I hate this state

8 Likes

This is such a gut punch, I know so many programs have had to deal with this. Nova just came back after about a month, and teams in the big ten have had their issues to but this season has been one of the few bright spots as a Michigan sports fan and this feels the same as watching our kids get pulled off the court in Indy during warm ups last year😡

5 Likes

That’s mind-blowing to me. How do you go to the UK right now?

2 Likes

The state of Michigan health director resigned yesterday. Quite a start for his replacement.

2 Likes

I coach a high school basketball team in MI and yesterday we had to tell our guys they had another four weeks of “non-contact” practices meaning 6-feet of social distancing at all times in a gym and no offense vs. defense drills. They asked why full contact football was allowed to be played and televised. I’m really struggling to understand these decisions and how they affect the game of basketball (which I selfishly prioritize over way too many other things in life). If it comes out that no one within the basketball program at UofM tested positive…this process is going to sting. I pray that’s the case and everyone stays healthy.

4 Likes