Spain Rewind: Ignas Brazdeikis

Not worried about Iggy shooting the 3 yet. His numbers from H.S., where he likely was the top option and shot a lot of so-so opportunities, are reasonable. A year or two with Beilein and he should be fine. As far as the PG, it’s hard to tell at the moment. Even Z. Can he thrive where there are no established shot makers & creators–I don’t consider Matthews to be one yet–and mainly freshmen? That’s a very difficult job for a non-shooting PG. Can Brooks take a leap. I thought he looked much better, but time will tell. DD? Can he learn the offense quickly enough? Only Tre did that. But he would be an offensive creator that this team needs.

I disagree there. Normally I’m with your opionion and I value your insight but I think both will surprise, particularly Davis. I liked the Davis signing from day one and now that he looks light years quicker on his feet and hedging the p n r I’m confident he’s going to be a nice big option.

I actually wish we’d feed him more down low , he had nice footwork and post moves. With a team that might struggle to shoot snd score this could be valuable. I think he’s going to challenge John for minutes.

Also I think Eli will be a nice back up. I think k he will settle into shooting the three and be valuable. He’s creTive and has nice vision

3 Likes

I think both looked too timid on the floor even though they had decent production in Spain. Brooks’ biggest problem has been that he plays too fast and doesn’t control the pace well. As a guard, that’s concerning to me. He’s not a great athlete either.

Davis is foul prone and defensively worries me a lot. Offensively he might be a little more polished with his back to the basket than Teske, but I think outside of decent touch around the rim he doesn’t provide much of anything else. I really hope both prove otherwise. I’d rather Michigan was full of upperclassman than freshman. Physically and mentally they are ahead of the curve of 90% of the freshman that have come to Michigan. Iggy, Burke and only a couple others have bucked that trend in Beilein’s era as freshman. So hopefully you are right.

1 Like

Iggy is not an elite defender but he is not a
liability either. there are many more things to be worried about than Iggy’s defense.

From the film I watched in Spain I feel like Iggy was a bit of a liability out there. That’s partially because he’s a freshman so I’m not worried yet, but I’m just saying that’s what I see right now from the film. He rebounds well but didn’t stay in front of his man really. His close outs seeemd sub par and he struggled anticipating and beating his man to the spots they wanted to go.

I think Iggy is going to figure defense out pretty quickly. He plays with energy and he is faster laterally than what I was expecting.

1 Like

He didn’t seem to have a pension/appetite for it in high school. Also, if he is seeing plenty of time without developing it, I am not sure what his incentive will be. I really hope that you are right

I suspect the over-riding Incentive beyond college playing time will be shot at NBA or professional career overseas.

2 Likes

It’s called Zavier Simpson getting on your ass.

1 Like