Potential Assistant Coaches

Quinn drops another Illinois State coach, Luke Yaklich, as a candidate.

Yaklich would fit the bill as a defensive guy, also has strong ties to the Illinois Wolves AAU program.

Sounds like a nice fit. If it happens, guess the Illinois State coach wonā€™t be sending Beilein a Christmas card this year. Rough business but Iā€™m sure they all understand the coaching ladder.

3 Likes

Few notes on Ill St. defense, etc.

1 Like

Also Illinois State transfer Deontae Hawkins is on the market and immediately eligible. He was going to BC, decommitted from there and is visiting New Mexico and Gonzaga. No clue if there would be any interest on UMā€™s part (looks like he was suspended at one point for a DUI) but heā€™s 6-8, 220 and blocks shots, hits threes, and rebounds.

10 Likes

Sign me up

I hope Beilein read his diary to see if his heartā€™s really in Illinois.

Hawkins also seems to have had a DUI last season. This could simply be a young person who made a mistake, but Beilein tends to steer clear of situations like that.

Yep, mentioned the suspension and that is obviously a red flag. No clue about the situation, just noting that heā€™s on the market. Another Ill State kid (MiKylie McIntosh) also grad transferred this offseason and is heading to Oregon.

2 Likes

My bad. I scanned your post and for some reason didnā€™t register the DUI mention.

AA is a great place to live if youā€™ve had driving issues in the past. Public bussing isnā€™t too bad and since itā€™s a college town, most things you need are concentrated in accessible areas. Just gotta assign a trustworthy teammate to be chauffeur.

I think the bigger issue is that it speaks to a certain lack of judgment. Thereā€™s Uber just about anywhere now, it isnā€™t really hard to not get a DUI.

I thought the DUI was old, but apparently more recent and sounds like Memphis took a hard pass. Iā€™m guessing this is a non-starter, but who knows.

https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/status/875045854842900480?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn929.com%2Farticles%2Fu-m-essentially-passed-star-grad-transfer-deontae-hawkins

The good news is we have two of his former coaches who know whether it was just a really dumb mistake or if heā€™s someone with bigger character issues. Iā€™m sure if we donā€™t look deeper at him weā€™ll know what the answer is.

Well, one :slight_smile: I doubt that Haynes has even coached him considering he was transferring and Haynes wasnā€™t hired until May.

I only say driving issues because the chief worry might be he is a risk do it again. But AA isnā€™t a bad place to live if the coaches expressed concerns or had stipulations regarding his driving (though he will have some via judge ruling because of pleading guilty).

Lol, I totally missed that we took him before he even started coaching there. They get screwed even more than we did by coaching changes.

1 Like

Hope we recruit him and get him. He would fit a desperate need, so we could leave DR on the bench,

should i like these hiresā€¦they seem very low profile

Yes jon. Yes.

3 Likes