Podcast: A strong ass preview of Michigan vs. LSU

5 Likes

Wow, this might be the most depressing podcast of all time.

5 Likes

Why is that? I really think there are huge mismatches on both sides of it.

It is just easier to point out LSU’s offensive advantages than point out that they are an awful defense with no option to guard Hunter Dickinson over and over.

5 Likes

I get that, it just has me bummed out. Do you think Michigan will have no answers at all defensively?

The first like 30 minutes were trying to figure out how Michigan matches up on defense haha. Obviously it’s more interesting to talk about than the flipside, but it’s still terrifying to listen too.

Plus I think the fact that, without Livers, we are more likely to be cold from 3 and for ~20-30ish minutes there will be a guy on the court that LSU can effectively double off still makes me nervous that we’ll be able to effectively exploit our mismatches.

I feel better about this game after listening to the podcast. Still think it’s pretty much a toss up, but I was thinking advantage LSU before today. But when it comes to single elimination tournaments and Michigan, you could probably convince me that my junior high team would be a tough matchup for Michigan.

3 Likes

Interesting, I came out pretty pessimistic. Honestly, with all the crazy upsets and double digit seeds winning in round one I’m not going to be too crushed with a loss here. Without Livers we’re probably not a realistic contender and LSU is a good team. No loss from here on out will be “bad.” It’ll be sad to see the seniors and future pros play their last game whenever that happens, but it always does.

2 Likes

We need dominant Dickinson who holds on to the ball and stays out of foul trouble. Would be nice for the refs to let them play a bit and not fall for the physics of Hunter being so much bigger than his defenders and assume a foul happened. With Livers I would feel pretty good about this matchup. Without? Not feeling good at all.

I did get a total '96 Bulls feel from that from Dylan TBH.

So I’m not allowed to say a** in the comments but you are in the thread title?

Unsubscribing.

7 Likes

Even without Livers, it seems like Michigan has the larger margin for error. LSU’s defense is so bad that–against a good offensive team, which Michigan definitely is even without Livers–LSU likely has to play an amazing offensive game to win. They’re obviously capable of this, and to some degree their style of offense is kind of opponent invariant (I think Brian at Mgoblog was saying this); but Michigan is still a great defensive team.

Idk, I guess at the 1 vs 8/9 game you know you’re likely getting a poorly-coached yet talented team that could go off against anyone, or you’re getting a well-coached slugfest that could drag down anyone.

1 Like

I love the title of this podcast! :rofl:

1 Like

Idk, I guess at the 1 vs 8/9 game you know you’re likely getting a poorly-coached yet talented team that could go off against anyone, or you’re getting a well-coached slugfest that could drag down anyone.

Truth and theres a narrative out there that the b1g(including um) struggles against the poorly coached talented team and that the well coached slugfest team is the better matchup but the opposite is true. B1g teams are great at slowing undisciplined high tempo teams down and turning it into a low possession half court game.

The only players teams should feel good doubling off of are Terrance Williams and Zeb Jackson. Every other rotation player can shoot. Not like Isaiah, but he was excellent. The other 4 are just good.

Love the pod title!

You can double off Johns. He had less than 20 attempts all season

1 Like

If I was scouting Michigan, I would absolutely double off/help off of Johns. And teams have been.

3 Likes

Imo character and discipline win out. I agree with Dylan about the Terps comparison to LSU. GO BLUE!

I would double off of him too. But leaving a 40% 3 pt shooter isn’t going to make me love it. His low number of attempts is telling though.