Our Best Lineup

Bottom line is we will need both Donnal and Doyle to develop a lot over the non-conference. Kam keeps showing flashes, but shows that he still has a lot to learn as well.

Bottom line is we will need both Donnal and Doyle to develop a lot over the non-conference. Kam keeps showing flashes, but shows that he still has a lot to learn as well.

I agree. Going into the season we all hoped to get decent production out of Donnal and Doyle. Iā€™m happy Doyle had a good game and I hope that him and Donnal can both improve throughout the season

I donā€™t think we really know what our best lineup is to be honest, weā€™re only 4 games into the season, and weā€™ve only played against one high-major opponent. Once we play Nova tonight and Syrcause next week, I think weā€™ll have a much better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the team. Itā€™s pretty obvious weā€™re going to be outmanned up front almost every night during conference play, itā€™s just a matter of who can mask it the best. I think itā€™s still an open battle at the 5 spot.

Matt Dā€“even a casual observer here knows that youā€™re down on Coach Bā€™s recruiting. But the way you flog this dead horse becomes wearisomely repetitive. Maybe you can specify just where heā€™s falling shortā€“does he lack personality? Persuasiveness? We hear how both parents and kids adore the guy, how personable the assistants are. . . I mean, maybe there IS something missing, but my sense, given how incredibly good he is at both finding unheralded kids AND getting them into the pros, that the fact that weā€™re not pulling down piles of McDonaldā€™s All-Americans may say more about other schools than us. Personally, I find the way we go about piecing together great teams clear testimony to the greatness of our coaches and really FUN. Of COURSE Cal can do it with ten one-and-dones! So what? So boring! We actually get to know our kids!

Matt D--even a casual observer here knows that you're down on Coach B's recruiting. But the way you flog this dead horse becomes wearisomely repetitive. Maybe you can specify just where he's falling short--does he lack personality? Persuasiveness? We hear how both parents and kids adore the guy, how personable the assistants are. . . I mean, maybe there IS something missing, but my sense, given how incredibly good he is at both finding unheralded kids AND getting them into the pros, that the fact that we're not pulling down piles of McDonald's All-Americans may say more about other schools than us. Personally, I find the way we go about piecing together great teams clear testimony to the greatness of our coaches and really FUN. Of COURSE Cal can do it with ten one-and-dones! So what? So boring! We actually get to know our kids!

What? Where the heck did this come from? I said nothing about JB/recruiting in general in my post aboveā€¦Iā€™m lost here

I don't think we really know what our best lineup is to be honest, we're only 4 games into the season, and we've only played against one high-major opponent. Once we play Nova tonight and Syrcause next week, I think we'll have a much better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the team. It's pretty obvious we're going to be outmanned up front almost every night during conference play, it's just a matter of who can mask it the best. I think it's still an open battle at the 5 spot.

Idk Matt, Donnal looked seriously overmatched in the post and Oregon just isolated him every time they could in the second half. Doyle was a major improvement.

I do agree Doyle was a major improvement last night, but during the course of the season (only 4 games), Donall has been the better helpside defender in terms of blocking shots and rotating. Neither of those two has been particularly good at post defense. Both are clearly ahead of Wilson in that regard, as DJ looks totally lost out there. I still maintain that it is an open battle at this point, weā€™ll know much more within the next week once we fact Nova tonight and Syracuse on Tuesday.

I do agree Doyle was a major improvement last night, but during the course of the season (only 4 games), Donall has been the better helpside defender in terms of blocking shots and rotating. Neither of those two has been particularly good at post defense. Both are clearly ahead of Wilson in that regard, as DJ looks totally lost out there. I still maintain that it is an open battle at this point, we'll know much more within the next week once we fact Nova tonight and Syracuse on Tuesday.

I wonder how much the Cuse game will really tell us, the 5 will have a very different role against that zone than in most of the other games they will play.

I think most of us are more concerned with defense/rebounding, as opposed to how our 5s will handle a zone defense being placed in the high post. If I had to guess, weā€™ll use levert flashing to the FT line area as opposed to placing either Donnal/Doyle in positions where they have to make quick decisionsā€¦neither of those 2 are ready for that yet.

I think Chatman flashes. He can pass and weā€™ll need Levertā€™s outside shooting.

Donnal was in fact at the high post, but we didnā€™t run any offense through him, he simply functioned as the handoff man.

Interesting to see Chatman completely disappear from the rotation. He has shown flashes of good passing and rebounding but until he finds his outside stroke I donā€™t see him fitting in at the 4 in our offense.

With Wilson I think he still has a lot of potential and is just buried in the depth chart. His (garbage time so TIFWIW) 3pt shooting has looked nice. If Wagner keeps up the poor play I could see DJ sliding into the #3 center role.

I finally see where chatman can be useful besides his passing and length/ rebounding.feeding him on the low block has potential. Getting him ball on the post could be nice for him and offense. I hope he sticks around because I see him playing next year. First guy off bench at the three or four. Start Walton then either maar or Dawkins/ Irvin then then Irvin or Dawkins with Robinson and donnall. I also like the idea of feeding Dawkins or Irvin on post. Let them use their quickness and athleticism to rack

Just off those two baskets and solid d itā€™s clear coach b needed to play Wagner more. Doyle looks bad. Donnall and Wagner need those minutes

Doyle only played 7 minutesā€¦ I canā€™t see how you want him to play any less than that.

Iā€™d like him to not play at this point. Zero minutes. Wagner needs pt. kid can play. Shows ability to create for himself and finish. Don all for 25 Wagner for 15

Have you watched Wagner lately? After the NC State game and up to the Penn State game he was awful on offense and defense. He had more turnovers than made field goals. I get that he should get minutes to get experience and I understand that he probably has the best potential upside of our bigs but we need to put in whoever gives us the best chance at winning. That will be different each game with different match-ups, you canā€™t just say Doyle is useless.

Give D.J. Wilson another look at the 5. Nobody other then Donnal has been playing worthy of minutes it can not hurt with the way Wagner and Doyle are playing.

1 Like

my thing is Wagner has shown an ability to make plays. He has a very short leash it appears to other people. I really liked Doyle last year but he canā€™t catch the ball. How can you put someone out there who canā€™t catch and blows easy lay ins. At this point Iā€™ve seen more thing I like out of Wagner. Why heā€™s on a short string I donā€™t know. Kid is gonna make mistakes but he also has finishing and ball skills. He had a few great d possessions to last game.

Iā€™ll take Wilson if you donā€™t like Wagner. Play donnall thirty if u want if he keeps up this finishing and confidence and surprisingly decent shot blocking. I just literally have a heart attack every time Doyle bobbles the ball at this point. There is too many options at this point to watch that continue.

It has to be in his head at this point. Maybe sitting him can help him regroup.

1 Like