Our Best Lineup

After three games, it has become apparent to me, and feel free to disagree, that our team is at its best when Spike plays the 2 and LeVert and Irvin slide up to the 3 and 4, respectively, and in my opinion he should be starting at this point. Chatman is a work in progress on defense to say the least, and can’t find his shot at all. Spike’s shot hasn’t been falling much, but based off of historical evidence, that should even out soon. I also agree with MattD when he says that Bielfeldt should be the starting center…at least for now. Perhaps an experienced lineup like that with 2 sophomores, 2 Juniors, and a Senior, all of them getting the system, is what is necessary to get the most out of this team. Like I said above, if you have other opinions, do state them and your reasoning for them!

Bottom line is this - NBA attrition and a lack of strong recruiting have put us in a position where we don’t have the same level of talent as we have been accustomed to the past 2 years. Our current freshman will most likely turn out to be decent players, but at this point I think we can admit they are projects. If Caris leaves after this year, recruiting is CRUCIAL for 16.

Agree with both of the comments. I think Beilein agrees as well based on PT in the 2nd half. I think Kam will get there and Donnal will do well enough. This team, this year, will require some patience. If we can get high level talent in the 16 class, this group of Frosh as Juniors mixed with elite talent could be very very good. My fingers are crossed…

The thing that makes our offense really go is Walton/Spike in transition. Those guys are always looking to push tempo. Kam just doesn’t give us that element right now and our half court offense isn’t operating well enough for Kam to play 30 minutes right now. I would ride Kam out for next few weeks to see if he comes around, but at some point you have to make a change if he isn’t able to produce.

Agree completely Matt. I do think Kam’s raw talent will rise eventually, but right now they are better with the Spike option. I know Spike has limitations, particularly defensively, but I just love watching him play. When I was younger I used to refer to guys like him with experienced game instincts as ‘crafty old Man game’. He Just seems to see the floor better than most and has so many little fakes, hitches, and hesitations that allow him to create offense for his team. He is fun to watch.

Agree with both of the comments. I think Beilein agrees as well based on PT in the 2nd half. I think Kam will get there and Donnal will do well enough. This team, this year, will require some patience. If we can get high level talent in the 16 class, this group of Frosh as Juniors mixed with elite talent could be very very good. My fingers are crossed.....

Does anyone really have any confidence that we are going to lure 2-3 top fifty prospects for 16?

I’ll let everyone else answer that one…

Short answer is no, not a ton of confidence. But I’m still hoping.

I agree with everything said in this thread. Let’s not forget a couple things though:

1. Last year, Michigan struggled in OOC play and even lost a game to Charlotte.
  2. Young teams usually have more of a learning curve than veteran teams.

So while I would love to have our freshmen showing some signs of life, the sky isn’t falling (yet). Let’s just enjoy watching another potential lottery pick (LeVert) and one of the best back courts in the country. Meanwhile, we can pray that Kam or one of our 5’s take huge steps in the next couple months.

I think you have to stick to Kam for remainder of non-conference. I just think you can see that he has the skills and polish and it is just a little bit of adjusting to a new level. He is kind of the one freshmen that I can really see raising his play to a whole different level at some point during the season. Just needs the lightbulb to go on. The other freshmen don’t really have the skill game there yet.

Selfishly, I almost hope Caris has an average year. If he returns, we could potentially have a great year in 15-16. I don’t have much confidence this year is going to be on par with the last 2, so Im just holding out hope we can somehow get Caris to stay.

Selfishly, I almost hope Caris has an average year. If he returns, we could potentially have a great year in 15-16. I don't have much confidence this year is going to be on par with the last 2, so Im just holding out hope we can somehow get Caris to stay.

Matt, would you be interested in some prime real estate that I own in the Everglades? He’s been gone since last year. Although I respect your premise.

The chances of Caris staying are <1%, I realize this. I can still hope, right?

The chances of Caris staying are <1%, I realize this. I can still hope, right?

“Hope is a good thing Red. Maybe the best of things.” … Andy Dufrain

The thing that makes our offense really go is Walton/Spike in transition. Those guys are always looking to push tempo. Kam just doesn't give us that element right now and our half court offense isn't operating well enough for Kam to play 30 minutes right now. I would ride Kam out for next few weeks to see if he comes around, but at some point you have to make a change if he isn't able to produce.

Yeah, Kam is the key.

If we have to run the dual PG offense the majority of the time, we’ll be in trouble this year. Really need Kam to step it up.

With Kam at least, it’s reasonable to expect him to come around. The bigs on the other hand…

Wow, No on all fronts. It’s 3 games guys, way to much overreaction. 2 point guard look won’t work against better competition(This isn’t a Eric Bledsoe/Goran Dragic situation) to much of liability defensively for Michigan to run it. It didn’t work against Hillsdale and wasn’t all that effective or needed against Bucknell(game was over at halftime) spike is good right where he is… instant offense and production off the bench. The starting lineup and rotation should be

1. Walton

2. LeVert

3. Irvin

4. Chatman

5. Donnal

6. Spike

7. Biefeldt at the 4 or 5

8. Wilson at the 4 or 5

9. Dawkins

Emergency Situations
10. Doyle
11. MAAR

For the people who say Michigan lacks the talent of the past Michigan teams… Every single player in the starting lineup was a top 100 recruit except for LeVert and he will be a first round draft choice. Chatman and Irvin were 5 star players on at least 1 recruiting service and Walton was top 40 on every service. It’s really not that serious guys, give this team time to gel last years team lost to Charlotte around the same time.

Michigan has a really tough 6 game stretch coming up that is going to be good for this team. Lot of teams in the conference are playing garbage non conference schedules and are going rack up wins only to have a tough time in conference play.

Doesn’t matter what they were ranked, whether said players are upper-tier, multi-faceted players is the true question?

Let’s examine:

Last Year This Year
Walton (top 40) Walton = Better with more experience and better athelticism
Caris Caris = slightly better with more experience
Nik (top 80) Irvin (top 30) = clear dropoff in talent, one dimensional
GR3(top 25) Chatman (top 35) = clear dropoff in production, can’t shoot
Donnal (top 100) McGary/Morgan = HUGE dropoff/Clear Dropoff in every way

Stop thinking about rankings, and think more about talent. We have significantly decreased the talent and/or production at 3 positions, while making a significant increase and 1, and a marginal improvement at the other. I’d say that is a dropoff in talent.

So you’re saying that we won’t be the Elite 8 and win the Big Ten by 3 games every season?!?? OH Nooooz! Fire Beilein. PERIOD.

No, you know exactly what I’m getting at, and what most others are starting to realize. If recruiting doesn’t pick up, we’re simply going to experience a dropoff, regardless of how much you love JB. Talent>>>>>>>>>>>>>coaching/development. It is the most important part of a college coach’s job description, and I think JB is rather average in that regard be honest.

Doesn't matter what they were ranked, whether said players are upper-tier, multi-faceted players is the true question?

Let’s examine:

Last Year This Year
Walton (top 40) Walton = Better with more experience and better athelticism
Caris Caris = slightly better with more experience
Nik (top 80) Irvin (top 30) = clear dropoff in talent, one dimensional
GR3(top 25) Chatman (top 35) = clear dropoff in production, can’t shoot
Donnal (top 100) McGary/Morgan = HUGE dropoff/Clear Dropoff in every way

Stop thinking about rankings, and think more about talent. We have significantly decreased the talent and/or production at 3 positions, while making a significant increase and 1, and a marginal improvement at the other. I’d say that is a dropoff in talent.

Talk to me when the season is over, season is 3 games in.