Notebook: Michigan set for homecoming trip to Maryland

2 Likes
9 Likes

It was the Big Ten scheduling, Kevin. So frustrating

4 Likes

It feels like we shouldn’t expect the two-big lineup against Maryland given their lack of size. Maybe we throw it out there a few possessions to try it but I’m not sure how it will fit - even if we did try it against NU’s small lineup. I’m glad they’re working on it and I’m glad it gives us another weapon to deploy. If we start to work out the kinks it might even be something where you force the other team to respond in some way.

I will also be interested to see how Maryland defends Hunter. Our last several opponents have aggressively double and triple teamed him and forced others to win the game. Maryland doesn’t have the size to do that as effectively as some teams, but it does give them a chance to avoid another stomping by him personally.

2 Likes

Something I’ve never wondered about till now - how do locals refer to the school “Paul VI”? Do they call it Paul, or Six, or Paul Six, or something else?

I believe they call it PVI.

1 Like

Paul the Sixth.

4 Likes

Tarris has been pretty good defensively so I don’t know why you couldn’t see it in this one. It creates some bigger advantages against smaller teams on the offensive end.

I feel like Tarris could do an OK job on Donta Scott for short spurts.

They did double him a decent amount last game, basically on his first dribble. Michigan’s offense didn’t even play particularly well in that game as much as its defense. So the inclination might be to do something different on Dickinson but Maryland also took away U-M’s 3PA (3-of-11) and held them to 1.08 PPP on the road. Not exactly horrible.

4 Likes

Paulie Sixnuts

1 Like

seems like a lot to say, but I guess it’s the same number of syllables as mine, “Pioneer”!

If Scott’s minutes are limited and Emilien is out, it seems like Maryland might have to go really small - like four guard looks. I assume Michigan wouldn’t use Dickinson and Reed together in that case.

2 Likes

why not? tarris reed is a BIG GUARD!

4 Likes

It would be interesting. I mean are we scared if Tarris has to guard Noah Batchelor or Ike Cornish? Could be a chance to destroy them on high low situations. I continue to say the offense in the 2 big lineups is what I’m more concerned about than defense.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m really not sure how you would weigh it given that Maryland is lacking a lot of proven shooting and there’s a potential huge advantage on the glass.

Also the other options are Will Tschetter and Jace Howard.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t think we lose defense by shifting minutes from any 4 to Reed

Offense, as said, is my worry.

“He seemed pretty angry the first time we played him.”

This Kevin Willard guy is one observant dude.

5 Likes

Maybe if MD is going 4 guards, this is the chance to see Baker get extended run with the 1s. Lot of shooting around HD that way.

1 Like

This feels like the biggest week of the season thus far ( very obvious statement but you get the point). 2-0 is obtainable and critical for bubble purposes….

1 Like

“Tarris has been pretty good defensively so I don’t know why you couldn’t see it in this one”

I agree. Tarris is a much better athlete than I initially realized. He is inpressively agile for his size, and that gives us a lot more options in terms of matchups. This is far from a lumbering 2 big man sort of lineup that can only be rolled out in special situations

The surprising thing to me is that he’s been better defending out on the floor (to my eyes, at least, ready to be brutally corrected) than Moussa, and that was supposed to be Moussa’s calling card.