NCAA update on name, image, likeness expected this week

1 Like

Full report and recommendations:

1 Like

Does the NCAA actually think thereā€™s a way ā€œthey can get lawmakers off their backā€? The California law has already passed, this clearly doesnā€™t fit those parameters. Do they think they can lobby the California Congress to pass another law?

My understanding is that they think they can lobby Congress to pass a federal exception/law/etc that will establish parameters that override any state law.

1 Like

Hilarious to me that theyā€™re basically begging Congress to help them keep the status
quo (or close to it)

That feels like a real pipe dream to me. Support for these laws has been strongly Bipartisan at the local level. Gonna have to pay A LOT of people to get 60 senate votes and 218 Rep votes in a party-split Congress.

1 Like

The problem with Congress not acting is that some states will likely enact rules designed to give their schools an advantage over other states. We could see a bidding war of sorts. Iā€™m pretty sure the schools would strongly prefer one set of rules for the schools in the same division. There will be pressure on Congress to step in, from fans and schools. Just like the support at the state level has been strongly bi-partisan, Iā€™d expect the same in Congress. They might as well get involved from the start.

Yeah not a chance that anti trust exemption is allowed to fly. You canā€™t make basically standardized endorsement deals nation wide when thereā€™s different of level of interest in college athletics across the country. Why should a kid in Tuscaloosa only be able to make 5k for a tv commercial because thatā€™s all a kid in Berkeley can make because thereā€™s way less interest in college sports? Itā€™s not fair at all, they are way too concerned about widening the gap between the have and have nots when thereā€™s already one.

Topic for an upcoming Moving Screen:

Go through the rosters for Michigan and MSU and play marketing matchmaker for each playerā€™s first NIL deal.

ā€œHowdy, line dancing fans. Iā€™m college basketball player Austin Davis for the Diamondback Saloon.ā€

15 Likes

Reading the reactions to this today, yeah this fair market value stipulation isnā€™t going fly.

ā€œHi, this is Jeff Jackson with Enterprise Rent-a-car. On the court, Ive been known for dishing out assists. When I needed an assist on the campus streets at 3am, Enterprise Roadside assistance was thereā€

14 Likes

Lord knows what type of unsavory businesses Rick Pitino is going to be linking his players at Iona up with.

What does that mean?

Iā€™m confident in my ability to translate coach speak but definitely not senator speak.

5 Likes