NBA Draft Projections & Mock Drafts 2019

Is there something wrong with that? Just kind of confused about what your issue is with him here.

There’s nothing wrong with it. My statement through this whole thread has been that he isn’t working off privileged information - he’s a guy guessing.

People put weight on his words because he’s a former player. My point is that he doesn’t know what Poole is doing. His quote kicked off this whole panic on this thread.

My larger problem is that this practice of guessing that Poole is mad and wants to transfer, unearthing tweets from his dad, etc., is invasive, probably alienating of a kid we theoretically support, and people need to calm down and let him make his decision. Finally, while Poole is probably ignorant of what gets discussed on this board, a former player’s podcast, shared with his dad, is probably more in the light.

2 Likes

I agree with the sentiment of your last paragraph, but in this case, here was Jordan’s dad’s reaction to it:

I also quibble with the concept of “knowing what Jordan is doing”. Of course he doesn’t “know” what Jordan is doing…nobody knows what Jordan is doing including Jordan.

2 Likes

I’m obviously not getting tbis across

When when Anthony Wright posts something like this, some assume he is speaking from insider knowledge. I don’t believe that’s the case - hence my possibly pat summary of “i think he’s a nobody” - he’s not privy to anything we aren’t. The transfer prediction is indication of that - he is guessing, like all of us.

2 Likes

I agree with that. It was speculation on his part.

Honestly, I think the quality of Givony’s NBA Draft analysis and insight (and his connections to scouts, agents, GMs, international, etc.) is so far ahead of some of these other sources. I get that anyone can and does give opinions, but I generally would listen to Givony way ahead of anyone else on these subjects.

4 Likes

So ESPN is good for draft analysis, but bad for recruiting. :ok_hand:

I would say that is absolutely accurate. None of this stuff really has to do with the outlet as much as the person sharing opinions. Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz are literally everywhere doing to the work to a degree that no one is in the NBA Draft space.

6 Likes

Poole - 51
Iggy - 54
Matthews - 56

1 Like

FWIW… The combine undrafted return path appears to not be legal yet.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

1 Like

Does the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee currently exist I’m assuming it does), and if it does, have our players requested an evaluation?

Must a player request said evaluation to be invited to the NBA combine?

Can players still opt to go back to school after the combine but before the draft?

Yes. Yes, I believe they would usually do that before declaring.

No.

Yes, the deadline to withdraw is 10 days after the combine (Assuming you took steps to maintain your eligibility).

1 Like

By the time he came out with his podcast it wasn’t the first I’d heard of that rumor. He had a basic point to make about the strategic realities of being Z’s backcourt mate, and made it. Can’t fault anybody for trying to make a living, or jumping on a bit of controversy to gain a following – he’d be far from the only one doing that in today’s media. Whatever Wright’s access to the program actually is, there’s nothing wrong with anyone trying to gain a following by providing useful/factual/thoughtful coverage. Certainly we here are all glad that Dylan decided one day years ago to give that a try.

3 Likes

Dylan does provide useful (very much so)/factual/thoughtful coverage. I personally don’t always agree with EVERYTHING he says, but I usually am pretty much on board, and I just love his ability to analyze. He is the BEST I’ve found.

There are others, however, who just create controversy. They seem to say things just to get a rise, or to get “clicks” or listeners. Yes, they are trying to make a living but, sometimes they do it in ways I don’t particularly appreciate. Not so with Dylan, at least not so in my opinion.

By the way, this is just a general statement of opinion and has nothing to do with Ant Wright.

1 Like

Sure. I don’t think either of those guys are following the insider/screechy/hot take model. No room for criticism of Wright here, IMO.

1 Like

I’ve scratched my head over some of Ant’s tweets, but I always thought they were good-natured and generous toward Michigan guys and the program. I don’t think he’s out to alienate the fan base or coaches.

1 Like

The criticism of Wright is that he advanced a theoretical (Poole transferring) as the likely outcome when it’s ludicrous on its face (Poole isn’t waiting another two years at a minimum to go pro).

My added consternation, which is not Wright’s fault, is that because he is an alumnus of the program, his guess is given more weight than is warranted, and THEN gets in the hands of a current player’s parents.

I think the internet’s market of wild guesses and anonymous insider whispers is a massive net negative for the sport - Poole has steadily been characterized in less and less a positive light because of an angry response his father had to a twitter troll the night we lost, and how the anonymous/uninformed internet rumor mill has run with it.

I have great admiration for the work Dylan does, not least because he largely doesn’t traffic in this crap.

2 Likes

Dylan’s apparent unwillingness to talk about the internal dynamics sometimes frustrated me in the past. But I think that it paid off. He is a little more forthcoming lately, and confident when he does speak. Kind of finding the sweet spot. I assume this is because he has won some people’s trust.

1 Like

Multiple predictions where Iggy/Poole/Matthews will be drafted.

As high as 23 for Iggy and 31 for Poole. Matthews in the 50’s.