NBA Draft Projections & Mock Drafts 2019

I think there are plenty of examples of how media might handle this and they can be put on a spectrum from graceful/ethical to less so. It’s pretty easy to place on that spectrum what Wright said, how he said it, and when he said it.

Givnoy just updated. Iggy at 40. He was the only Wolverine listed.

1 Like

NBA draft experts break down Michigan’s Ignas Brazdeikis, Charles Matthews, Jordan Poole

1 Like

NBA draft decisions a ‘difficult dance’ for Michigan, Beilein

2 Likes

Just came to post this. Some real insight here, more than you find in most DetNews fluff.

Beilein’s radio interview getting a lot of run across outlets I see. He will speak to the media tonight before the banquet as well.

2 Likes

This would seem to be pretty obvious about the NBA combine, but …

“If you’re not invited to that, that’s a pretty good indication of where you are,” Beilein said. “If you are, then you have to wade through that. It’s not easier right now than it’s been. The kids have all the way until the end of May and you’ve got to replace them. Not too many 2019 (recruits) are going to wait until the end of May, so it’s very difficult and we’ve got to do our best to find ways to navigate it."

Where’s the interview? Would like to listen. This? – https://omny.fm/shows/the-huge-show/the-huge-show-interview-john-beilein-04-16-19

1 Like

Nice breakdown of the NBA Draft Evaluation Committee Process

This is amazing, very thorough and incredibly well done. This is an important process for a young man aspiring to the NBA to participate in. If one is honest with himself, if he is true to himself, this feedback should be invaluable to him and tell him pretty much everything he needs to know.

I keep reading comments that this or that player isn’t ready, won’t make the NBA, etc.; there’s a common assumption that players don’t see themselves clearly and–of course–that can be true. But the great majority, IMO, are sifting the tea leaves with considerable care and real precision–it’s my sense that fans are often farther from reality than players in their assessments. Indeed, how could it be otherwise, given the casual nature of most fan comments?

One thing that rarely gets noticed–some players want to play basketball, period. That may include players who are gifted academically as well as those not given to academics. If you have been in the gym working hard since you are twelve or thirteen then basketball is your metier, as they say, what you are good at and what you want to be doing with your life. Not being one of the–what–350 players on a roster in the NBA will not be that surprising for most players and families with any objectivity whatsoever; the competition is insane.

But to a poor, even middle-class family to have your son gainfully employed in a job in Europe or elsewhere–even if the salary is small in comparison to the NBA–probably looks far different than it does to a scornful fan whose school has been spurned, to whom (kinda ridiculously) that looks like failure.

Jordan Poole could be a good case in point. He might or might not “be ready” for the NBA. But he is ready, apparently, to devote himself to basketball full-time and have a great adventure doing it. I will be very surprised if it isn’t at a starting salary that 99% of Americans would view favorably.

5 Likes

It’s not only a great album, but it applies here: stop making sense.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be difficult for Beilein. If a player declares for the draft, he should be considered gone, and his spot open for a grad transfer or late signee. The player has the right to do what they think is best for them, but they don’t have the right to say “hey, hold my place in line for six weeks while everyone else snatches up possible replacements, and if I do decide to leave and you’re left holding the bag, tough”. Beilein has the same right to do what’s best for the program, and if a promising prospect wants to sign, he should grab him without hesitation or guilt. If Poole doesn’t get drafted and wants to come back, and if there’s a spot open, and if Beilein still wants him, fine. If the spots are all filled, that’s the chance Poole takes.

3 Likes

It’s not as simple as you see it. If you do that to one kid (Poole in this case) then you could potentially close the door on several targets that know him or know of him. LaLu would probably never send a kid to Beilein nor would his AAU team. College basketball is all about recruiting and you can’t simply close a door on a kid to get the next if you want to sustain the level of success he’s had at UM.

4 Likes

You also don’t shut Poole out to take an inferior player that will make your team worse next season.

Beilein knows what Poole is doing. He’s not operating in a vacuum. If he fills both scholarship openings, he’s been given definitive feedback that Poole has no intentions of coming back regardless of what the NBA people say.

3 Likes

Poole closed the door when he declared. All he had to do to keep his spot was say “I’m staying for my junior year”. Done.

Kids need to learn the realities of life. They want there to be a reset button for all their big decisions, but that’s not the way the real world works. And it’s not all about them. They can’t proclaim “I need to do what’s best for me” and then not expect others to act in the same way.

2 Likes

Michigan doing what’s best for themselves would be to do whatever is necessary to let Poole come back if he chooses to do.

The reality of life is that some people’s talents and skill sets make them so valuable they can more or less do what they want, and the other parties involved have to react and adjust accordingly.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that Michigan can/would pull Poole’s scholarship if, at the end of the draft evaluation process, he were to publicly announce that he’s coming back to Michigan? There’s just no way that would happen.

4 Likes

yea i cant believe how polarizing this JP thing has been.

you take JP back if he says “hey im gonna test and ill come back if…”

the vibe is JP has told JB and co… “Don’t care where I go, im going”

JB then proceeds until he hears different. He’s also gonna keep it PC with public statements because thats who JB is (not gonna steal a kid’s shine, a moment that is the kid’s) and he also knows that kids can change their mind even in small odds situations

1 Like