My Final Thoughts On The Wilson Commit

I said it before, and I’ll say it again - I have concerns about Wilson’s lateral movement, strength, rebounding, and energy level on defense. Nothing in this video changes my opinion. A 6’9 player SHOULD be able to catch an oop, finish a couple drop off passes for dunks with ease at the HS level. What’s so impressive about that? I’m maybe a troll but you clearly know nothing about basketball and that is the truth.

I do not think that Wilson has below average athleticism. You do. Nothing more needs to be said.

Exactly

Matt, I know you’re not going to change your tune on Wilson but apparently, the people who get paid to do this for a living are. The guys over on Scout absolutely love him and there’s talk that he’s going to be bumped up to a 4 star after the season. He’s really playing well his senior season. It certainly looks like JB has once again landed an under the radar recruit who has taken off during his senior season of high school.

Matt, I know you're not going to change your tune on Wilson but apparently, the people who get paid to do this for a living are. The guys over on Scout absolutely love him and there's talk that he's going to be bumped up to a 4 star after the season. He's really playing well his senior season. It certainly looks like JB has once again landed an under the radar recruit who has taken off during his senior season of high school.

source?

Rivals is raving about our recruits, too

Someone said Wilson reminds them of Jared Jeffries. Tweets indicate he is a perimeter player but is great on the boards and blocking shots with his length. Seems to struggle taken on balance jumpshots due to lack of strength. Lateral quickness is an issue if he wants minutes at the 3. All in all, seems to be developing upward and will be a good player at UM.

Even in the rivals article cited above, the primary concern is athleticism( specifically lateral movement) the same exact thing I’ve been saying for months. Look at the recent tweets concerning Wilson, the analysts always have to place a caveat like “improving” athleticism or “more” athletic than the last time. All of these comments implicitly indicate that athleticism is a concern with Wilson. I definitely like his shooting ability, but I don’t think that is what this team needs at this point. With the attrition we’re facing after this year, can anyone honestly say Wilson will be able to step in and man the 4 spot on either end of the court? With the way college basketball has developed into a 1-2 year rental, we simply can’t afford to have players that take 2-3 years to develop into rotation players that make a positive impact on the court. If Mitch and gr3 leave, I think most people will have a greater appreciation for my opinion on this matter next year.

Chatman is our stretch 4.

I would actually be much more concerned about Wilson being exploited at the 3 rather than the 4. His lack of lateral movement would be a big problem. At the 4, his lack of size/strength/rebounding would be exposed but I think you could hide him better at the 4 rather than the 3.

I really don’t see any PT for Wilson at the 3 unless Stauskus leaves. Walton/Spike at the 1, Caris/Zak at the 2, Nik/Chatman at 3, Donnal/GR3/Wilson at 4, Hopefully Mitch/Horford/Doyle/Max at 5.

Bottom line is that if GR3 leaves, Wilson will have to play 4 from a purely numerical standpoint.

Wilson will redshirt and Chatman/Donnal/Irvin will get the minutes at the 4.

In no way, shape, or form is Irvin a 4.

GR3 and Chatman aren’t 4s either but in JB offense, they are.

Also, why would Scout say Wilson “runs the floor” and has “upside/ potential” if his absurd length and athleticism wasn’t top tier? http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6251754

Lateral quickness is one component of athleticism and at the 4 spot, after redshirting, it will be a non-issue. Heck, at the 4 spot, I suspect that he will have top tier lateral quickness.

Austin Daye number’s in college http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/austin-daye

Jared Jeffries numbers in college
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/indiana/jared-jeffries

I could see Wilson being as productive by year 3 and 4. I really hope we can get some measurements on him and Caris, just for combine nerd purposes.

Totally agree with some of your statements above, which is why Wilson won’t be a 3. Can’t agree with the “top tier” assertion, as scout’s ranking of Wilson seems to conflict with that assessment. How much faith can scout have in Wilson’s upside while ranking him as a generic 3 star?

I agree Wilson could be productive in years 3 & 4, the issue is we don’t have that much time if we want to maintain an upward trajectory. We need guys that can step in now on at least one side of the court, which made the decision to take a commitment from Wilson while essentially dropping g Bolden baffling. If Mitch and Gr3 both leave, I think a lot of people will come to question that decision/recruitment, butt hopefully one or both stay.

Totally agree with some of your statements above, which is why Wilson won't be a 3. Can't agree with the "top tier" assertion, as scout's ranking of Wilson seems to conflict with that assessment. How much faith can scout have in Wilson's upside while ranking him as a generic 3 star?

I agree Wilson could be productive in years 3 & 4, the issue is we don’t have that much time if we want to maintain an upward trajectory. We need guys that can step in now on at least one side of the court, which made the decision to take a commitment from Wilson while essentially dropping g Bolden baffling. If Mitch and Gr3 both leave, I think a lot of people will come to question that decision/recruitment, butt hopefully one or both stay.

Scout and Rivals are both saying he will probably be a 4 star and is on the move. I wouldn’t doubt him being rated higher than Grantham by year end. As for Bodlen, I think shady recruiting was at play.

I really don’t care much about rankings, just the fact that Scout is seemingly enamored with his “upside” while simultaneously saying he’s not very good. Point is, I don’t care what scout says because of the obvious hypocrisy.

As it relates to Grantham, I could really care less about where he ranks relative to Wilson, the fact is I believe Grantham would’ve been a much better fit for what we need next year in light of the potential attrition.

GR3 and Chatman aren't 4s either but in JB offense, they are.

Also, why would Scout say Wilson “runs the floor” and has “upside/ potential” if his absurd length and athleticism wasn’t top tier? College Basketball and Recruiting News

Lateral quickness is one component of athleticism and at the 4 spot, after redshirting, it will be a non-issue. Heck, at the 4 spot, I suspect that he will have top tier lateral quickness.

This is the problem in a nutshell - you reference the belief that Chatman/gR3 are 4s in a JB offense, but what about defense?

GR3 and Chatman aren't 4s either but in JB offense, they are.

Also, why would Scout say Wilson “runs the floor” and has “upside/ potential” if his absurd length and athleticism wasn’t top tier? College Basketball and Recruiting News

This is the problem in a nutshell - you reference the belief that Chatman/gR3 are 4s in a JB offense, but what about defense?

Where did Scout say he wasn’t very good? They have an article up saying he was the best player in the tournament on Day 2 and will rise.

Furthermore, it’s not just JB’s offense wehre Chatman/GR3 are 4s, look at who Duke is recruiting, Arizona, Louisville, etc. All stretch 4s. There isn’t any difference with our guys and Leron Black, Keita Bates Diop, etc

I don’t care what scout says, words mean very little when their numerical rankings are what clearly indicate their true thoughts on Wilson. I remember last year Dantoni of the Lakers said Darius Morris was a great fit he envisioned Morris would develop well in that system. Well, Morris was benched about a week later for the rest of the season and then subsequently they let him go. Point is, what scout says doesn’t really mean much, if they really believe Wilson is that good, it will be reflected in the rankings.