Michigan Women's Hoops

I’m not saying she can’t. The turnovers have always driven me crazy. But the discussion is regarding this team compared to previous Michigan teams. If turnovers are the same, that is not the main thing that makes this team unlikely to make the tournament when previous versions made it with the same amount of turnovers. We need to look deeper (aka the talent level at the top has dropped off - they have not effectively replaced Brown and Kiser).

Great recruiting class coming in next year though so the future still looks bright.

poor OFFENSIVE rebounding teams, mostly

She’s shooting like 37%

KBA doesn’t like to play freshmen and usually, they don’t make an impact unless they’re an elite recruit in the level of Bueckers, Fulwiley, etc.
The questions are “are Swords and Olsen that kind of blue chip recruits who can make an immediate impact?” and “will KBA play both big minutes?” If both questions are answered, we can expect a bounce back year for Michigan. If one of the two are answered, we should expect next season to be more of the same as this season unless the bench players progress and improves like Macy Brown, Alyssa Crockett steps up.

Tbh, KBA should be playing the young players next season to really reap the benefits down the road.

The portal is still a thing for the women’s game too. I see no reason why they shouldn’t be better next year just by keeping their key players, bringing in a great class and adding players in the portal.

Naz and Phelia played as freshmen

1 Like

Naz played a ton as a frosh. So did Amy Dilk, IIRC. And Phelia.

Probably biggest game of the year today versus Minnesota. We lost to Minnesota at home and another loss would maybe put them on the wrong side of the bubble. A win will probably lock them into the field.

Game starts 25 minutes after Wisconsin/Penn state game on BTN. Probably close to 8:45 tipoff.

Game is in Minneapolis, so expect a near road-like environment.

Ha! “… expect a near road-like environment.”

Even as a Michigan fan living in Minneapolis, I remember fondly the crowds at Williams arena when Lindsay Whalen was a student-athlete at Minnesota.

SHE… was a player. And would nearly sell out the barn every game.

An absolute killer for the Lynx too

Too bad it didn’t work out for her at Minnesota

1 Like

Nice win tonight! That should lock it up for the NCAA Tourney. If we take down IU tomorrow night, maybe we can climb up to a 7-seed?

8 Likes

I would think they’re in at this point, but a win tonight would definitely lock that in (and get them to 20 wins!). If Holmes can’t go, they certainly have a shot.

1 Like

I will admit I missed most of this season

Surprised to seem Cam Williams spiraling down the depth chart

Really seems like Phelia/Hansen show

Cam had a solid game last night (11 points in 15 minutes) and had a really nice game on senior day with 18 points. She’s certainly in the rotation. She played at least 14 minutes in every game last month, except for the one game she fouled out in, highlighted by 23 points in the win vs. Rutgers.

I’m hoping she uses her Covid year and comes back. That seems to be tougher to do at Michigan than other places so I could see her having her 5th year elsewhere. But, she seems to be following the Emily Kiser path of growing her role and her game each year.

2 Likes

Williams seems to have finally found her way out of Naz’s shadow somewhat the last five games or so. Maybe even a bit before that. Has become more automatic down low–not Naz level, but reminiscent of it–and she doesn’t seem to get as many bad fouls. I think Pheila and Hansen taking some of the pressure of having to be “the one” off of her might have been helpful.

1 Like

ESPN’s Bracketology has us in the Last 4 Byes category, and a 10-seed. They also have us in Baton Rouge and likely facing LSU in the 2nd round, if we beat WVU. Let’s hope that improves. I’ve had enough Kim Mulkey for quite a while.

3 Likes

See ya Ohio state getting rocked by Maryland.

2 Likes

Nebraska is putting it on MSU in the 4/5 game. Up 20 after 3.

Michigan is down 3 after the 1st quarter.

M down 14 at halftime. Don’t think it’s going to happen.