Michigan to face Toledo on Tuesday night in NIT opener

This is an easy thread to ignore in your sake. It is pretty clearly labeled an NIT thread.

8 Likes

Is it?! I just enjoy cracking jokes about this tournament because it flat out sucks to be in it instead of the big dance.

2 Likes

At this point, Iā€™d rather just not go out on a 50 point showing vs Rutgers. Silverblue already made a longer post which I agree with, but we are in the thing no matter how much it sucks or not, might as well make the best of it instead of continually pointing out how much it sucks.

14 Likes

Cool post!

1 Like

Looking forward to watching this team play without the weight of trying to make the NCAAT on their shoulders. I thought Dana Oā€™Neil hit the nail on the head when she wrote that on Thursday Michigan looked like a team that ā€œneededā€ to win rather than a team that ā€œwantedā€ to win. This quote has come to mind several teams this season: ā€œDonā€™t let the pressure of competition outweigh the pleasure of competition.ā€

8 Likes

I would argue that the NIT is for 45th place.

6 Likes

Yeah I guess thatā€™s a good point. Better to not end on the worst half in Michigan basketball history. Canā€™t imagine we can be worse than 1 FG 19 Minutes.

1 Like

The single biggest thing about this is the experience the young players will gain. Teams in this tourney have winning records and anyone playing here will be fired up to play Michigan. Playing teams that are fired up is the experience we need most.

1 Like

The 69th place joke isnā€™t even accurate though, much a knee slapper. Michigan would beat or at least be favored in 40 percent of the field.

So, we get one more day of practice. Yea!

When I was a kid, there seemed to be a lot of excitement for winning that 1984 NIT title. I think that was the year before they expanded the NCAA Tournament to 64 teams, so it was a tougher field. And the next two seasons, we won the Big Ten, so it seemed like the NIT win was a springboard to something bigger.

'97 was more of a ā€œif youā€™re in it, you might as well win it.ā€ feeling, as I recall. But we were happy we won.

2 Likes

When you win the NIT you can say ā€œSee we should have been in the tournament!ā€

11 Likes

Anyone else a season ticket holder trying to get tickets at 1:00? Getting errors on the ticketing site right now.

'84 was around the time when I started following U-M basketball more closely and I can vouch for the springboard narrative. Rosters were more stable back then, so it was easier to get behind the hopes of a carryover from the NIT championship into the next seasons.

4 Likes

Nice to see Vandy in the suspect bubble (ignore where UM is):

In 2004 Sparty was upset in the first round of the NCAAs by Nevada and Michigan won the NIT and I remember bragging to some friends about how weā€™re still playing and they arenā€™t. In retrospect clearly as a coping mechanism because it seemed like UM was never going to make the NCAAs. God those were some truly dark timesā€¦

3 Likes

if that happened this year, we could at least say we have the most recent win in the tournament!

ah yes, rutgers, the dictionary definition of an explosive team

2 Likes

Check out OSU.

2 Likes

In a case like that (one team wins the NIT, the other loses in the first round of the NCAAs) you can make the argument that your team belonged in the tourney instead of theirs. That was a legitimate argument that year when we were one of the first four out.

1 Like