Michigan to face Toledo on Tuesday night in NIT opener

6 Likes

soooo is it cool to be an NIT champ? do we get bragging rights for that?

asking for a friend

3 Likes

Jeez- a potential matchup with Stackhouse in the 2nd round.

2 Likes

Excellent opportunity for coach to do some recruiting for next season :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The Rich Rod revenge game

4 Likes

Hopefully we can keep our Sweet 16 streak going

15 Likes

Only need one win to get there

4 Likes

Toledo is really good. Had won 16 in a row before losing to Kent St in the MAC final. Play an entertaining brand if basketball, fast and lots of 3’s. Don’t have anyone to guard Hunter but everyone that plays for them can shoot 3’s. Will be a big contrast in styles

5 Likes

This seems like a fairly tough draw for a 2 seed. The MAC champion is not going to be a pushover.

4 Likes

Toledo beat CMU by an average of 29 twice, I don’t see what could go wrong here.

13 Likes

Fair to say Toledo is a lesser version of Iowa?

1 Like

Their best win is against Kenpom 62nd team in UAB in November. Second best win against 104th Akron. Got swept by 71st Kent State and lost to 84th Marshall.

1 Like

I remember trying to brag about it when Michigan won in 1997 but got shot down hard by fans of other teams. I would say the only time the NIT is cool is when you actually win it. Anything short of that and you dismiss it as a meaningless exhibition tournament to make yourself feel better

4 Likes

Only need to win 1 game to keep the streak going this year. Juwan playing 3D Chess over here

3 Likes

We’re 46th in KenPom and they’re 87th

4 Likes

OK, that sounds better.

1 Like

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 7.36.01 PM
Toledo’s offense to defense split is wild…

3 Likes

The NIT only seeds the top 4 in each bracket, then they assign matchups based on regional proximity. Toledo would actually be about a 5 seed, so it’s not a true seeding format.

11 Likes

Yeah, it has to be the biggest chasm between the two ranks…ever?

7 Likes

Of course it’s a meaningless exhibition tournament… it’s not like the NIT winner gets to play the NCAA winner like in a double elim tournament