Michigan to face Kentucky in London in 2022

It’s cool to travel overseas but I don’t quite understand the logic of doing it then, why December?

What are the other options? The only other thing that could make sense is maybe over Christmas.

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary travel to play a team that we could have faced here in the U.S., and I’m guessing the team won’t have too much time to see London since they need to get back soon, with the semester winding down.

Yeah, up for debate whether playing in London is a good or bad idea but I’m just not sure when else you could really play the game if you are going to play it.

I think it is a good move overall… Good to play Kentucky, good to build the brand of the program that Juwan wants, etc.

11 Likes

It’s a bit closer than flying to Maui

1 Like

But when you go to Maui, you’re there for like 5 days, you’re not flying twice in 48 hours or whatever. I feel like this is a lot of travel for a single game. I think if you’re going to go someplace far away, you should have enough time to enjoy being there.

Maui also is around Thanksgiving and not this close to the end of the semester.

Hopefully Josh Christopher goes off on a big stage against what was once his dream school.

1 Like

Dylan, are you making the trip across the pond in December?!

Hopefully, haven’t got that far yet in the planning but would think so.

5 Likes

Just got my tickets a few min ago! Can’t wait. I think a UMHoops gathering at a pub is a must.

2 Likes

Dylan is hoping to catch a Man City game while he’s there I’m sure

Not in the Champions League, though. :rofl:

Definitely would try to get to an EPL game on the Saturday before if possible.

2 Likes
1 Like

Damn. Seems like June is a little early to need to make that decision.

Think it’s better to make an early decision than a late one. That way fans don’t have to book flights/hotels, only to cancel them if things aren’t better by then.

3 Likes

A lot can happen between now and June, iow, too early to worry about this one.

I wouldn’t rush out and buy plane tickets. Based on everything else going on and where we’ll probably be in June, it feels like there’s a pretty good chance the game is canceled.

1 Like

If they don’t do it in London, does the game just get scratched from the schedule or do they try to find another neutral site in the US to play the game? It would be a bummer if they lost that game on the schedule.

1 Like

Agreed! I’d rather play at Rupp than not play at all!

Who knows, I do have hopes that next season isn’t condensed and that things return to normal…but I’d imagine if they end up with scheduling nightmares in all sports, this game could be an early casualty.

I’d guess they would swap it out with one of the campus games and do it in London next year.