Michigan State Discussion 2018-19

Our defense is designed to not overhelp, that’s probably going to keep lending itself to some big individual nights for stars that can get theirs on their own. That strategy (and the guys’ execution) is stifling to role players though.

I am pretty sure you are wrong but we will see. Ward hates going against Teske offensively, I think. I took note of it when they went against each other last time and have specifically asked others if they agree.

I agree though that it is good to make Ward guard the perimeter which is where Livers might be able to offset Ward but Teske should be able to do a very good job of making things difficult for Ward on the offensive end.

As much as possible, I’d like to get Ward somehow switched onto Jordan Poole. That would be hilarious.

5 Likes

Please god let that happen!

Michigan has a nice interior defensive combination with two huge tree trunk defenders and an athletic big to throw at him. That’s a lot of energy that he’ll have to contend with. And Johns is also available and has a few weeks to develop before MSU. Ward will have his hands full.

given that award played 24 minutes across the two games, Teske 22, and the two didn’t have significant overlap, I’m not sure there is much to say about how they matchup.

What’s obvious is that Ward’s minutes were limited because he got put on a highlight reel against Wagner and could stay on the floor.

The bigger issue is if Michigan can spread MSU out of their super-effective Ward/Tillman frontcourt, or if they bludgeon us into playing Livers over Ignas.

i agree. Tillman seems like he could do a pretty decent job of staying in front of Iggy/Livers.

Random: If you’re MSU, do you have Cassius guard Charles in our matchup?

Winston on Charles would be a risk, Charles could post him up, pretty easily.

Charles post-up fadeaway jumper is probably best case scenario for MSU

Winston on X
Langford on Poole
Mcquaid on Matthews
Ahrens or Goins on Iggy
Ward on Teske

I might switch McQuaid and Langford. Gun to my head I’d say the former is a better defender. Close though.

Iggy’s gonna be the best matchup IMO.

1 Like

Yeah, I think Izzo will be smart enough to put McQuaid on Poole. McQuaid might even get moved onto X, if he’s dealing like he did against Illinois

Even though I don’t like MSU or its coach, it’s hard not to be impressed with a young man like Goins.

Michigan State basketball doesn’t need 5-star center. It has Kenny Goins

Kenny has been very good for them this year (he becomes especially effective if he can hit the three and he’s 3-of-8 over the last two games where teams really dared him to shoot)

But I chuckled at this line :wink:

Need someone to knock down an elbow jumper in the middle of a zone? Goins is your guy.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a classic!

Still incredible to me what they’re doing on the defensive end of the court with that roster, Mind boggling,

1 Like

@umhoops Do you have numbers on Langford’s offensive effeciency in ISO and PNR situations?

7 points on 7 isolation plays.
18 points in 16 plays, 1.125 per play, as the P&R ball handler (95 %ile). Super small samples on both of those.

3 Likes

All it took was one turd in West Lafayette for MSU to come back to earth a little.

1 Like