Michigan Players in the NBA

Seventeen year old kids know they want to play in the NBA. It’s not exactly a complex metric to look at which schools are sending players to the league in large numbers and which aren’t.

Way to go Duncan!!

7 Likes

Impressive!

Last 2 teams are turning out to be surprisingly talented. I bet MAAR would have had a good shot at a 2 way deal had he been healthy too.

1 Like

The Heat have 11 players on their roster and are capped out - 10 of those guys played real minutes for them (the 11th is Derrick Jones, their two-way guy with Walton last year). I don’t see them paying veteran’s minimum for their 12th and 13th guys to sit on the bench…

What I’m saying is that Walton and Robinson have non-zero chances at actually getting full-NBA deals this year.

4 Likes

More misses than swishes for Beilein’s NBA Draft picks

1 Like
2 Likes

Duncan’s deal may have pushed Walton out the door…

indirectly, of course

Yes it did but i believe DWALT has had the offer for a few weeks.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article213927574.html

Heat withdrew its qualifying offer for guard Derrick Walton Jr., making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Heat is expected to explore other potential options for its second two-way contract. But Walton’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, said there’s still mutual interest in a return.

Bartelstein said by removing the qualifying offer, it allows Walton fewer restrictions if he finds another team.

The Heat faced a midnight Friday deadline to keep the qualifying offer in place, which would have come with a $50,000 guarantee.

Miami used one of two-way contracts on undrafted Michigan small forward Duncan Robinson and has spoken of potentially holding onto the second one for a while.

“We maybe might keep the second one, because having a slot sometimes helps you,” said Chet Kammerer, the Heat’s vice president/player personnel.

Damn sucks for D-Walt… definitely sounds like Duncan pushed him out… Walton has been just ok in summer league though… hopefully he finds a team that wants to pick him up

1 Like

I’d watch more Pistons games if he were to come back to Detroit.

Walton follows up the news by going out and getting 15 points, 11 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals in today’s game

4 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Walton may have been irked with management today and been more assertive on the court. The Heat asked him to concentrate on D, then commented they were happy with what he was doing, then rescind two way contract.

1 Like

Wilson highlights

5 Likes
6 Likes

For those with access to the Athletic:

3 Likes