Michigan natives in D1

Maten averaging 16 and 7 this year. 60%fg 77%ft. He has looked awesome this year as a soph. Remains to be seen if it continues. Like his game a lot.

Jalen brown canā€™t play the 5. A plus 5 guy would make this team lethal.

John Iā€™m going to disagree. Adding a legit top 5 pick at guard would definitely make a difference regardless of who plays the 5

Guys end up different places for different reasons. Timing is always tough with recruiting whenever you go back and look at it. There are always going to be misses on guys you should or shouldnā€™t have taken/targeted in hindsight as well.

Edmond Sumner is a guy that Michigan slow played at the time and obviously probably shouldnā€™t have. But it also one of those situations where at the time I donā€™t think many people would have expected this sort of explosion in his game.

Iā€™m going to guess that it has been hard for OSU fans to look at some of the Ohio kids succeeding at Michigan or Indiana/Purdue fans watching Glenn Robinson III and Mitch in the Final Four.

As far as Jaylen Brown, heā€™d really serve that GR3 role at the four well. Give Michigan a slashing option on the wing that can get to the rim, rebound, get to the FT line. I honestly think an elite baseline player/wing defender type would be a huge boost for this team. Gotta admit I havenā€™t watched Cal much this year though.

Brown would only take minutes from Irvin and Robinson. That wouldnā€™t benefit the team nearly as much as a top 5-10 center would. Our perimeter play is great compared to our post play. Anyone on this earth that would take a wing over a center for this Michigan team may not know basketball that well.

are you serious John?? I question someoneā€™s basketball knowledge that wonā€™t take a top 5 pick in the NBA draft over Robinson and Irvin!! You might be overvaluing those two just a tad

A top 5 pick would help any team in the country. We need a plus big man. You canā€™t tell me you donā€™t see that. We donā€™t NEED a wing player, we have good ones. We donā€™t have any good 5 men. That would help more than a good wing player.

We need talent! I disagree with most on here. I donā€™t think the necessary talent is at Michigan. Is our 5 lacking absolutely! Our 4 position isnā€™t that much better. Dawkins is invisible, Irvin is coming off back surgery, and Robinson isnā€™t a 4. Now add our bench is not deep despite the number of guys who play. Overall Talent is lacking

The caveat being that Purdue, Indiana, and OSU have multiple in-state players on their roster. Anywhere from 4-9. McGary was a special case because of the Novak relationship, and GR3 an unwanted that blew up late. Teske a wait and see.

Historically we have little chance of getting a player from Indiana/Ohio that the homers REALLY want. In fact of all the players on our existing roster, only Chatman ( insert disclaimer here ) had a ā€œbetterā€ offer than M.

If weā€™re gonna beat the bushes in Fla. Cal. and Oregon for kids few others target, Iā€™d rather go after the under recruited locals with upside and familiarity.

I find it disheartening that we ā€œseemā€ to back off local kids with attitude problems that can play. The vast majority of these young men are dying to find a mentor and an athletic family to fill the void in their lives of having an absent role model. A struggling teen with grade issues can rise above their situation with guidance and support. JB and his staff model this life skill.

There are FAR to many kids in Michigan that can seriously play to only have one in stater on your roster. We are the University of Michigan.

2 Likes

Chez the issue is the style of Michigan basketball does not appeal to in state tough kids. Izzo will always get those type of kids over Michigan

You guys need to start going to Michigan state tournament games and watch the war that happens on the floor.

1 Like

Dawkins has plenty of talent. Nba talent actually. Look at the 2017 mock draft and heā€™s a borderline 1st round pick. He has been picking up the pace lately. Irvin has nba talent. Walton can get there and Levert obviously does. Our 5 man is a huge problem right now. Irvin is pretty key, once he starts making 3s this team looks better already yet still has a giant hole at the 5. We shall see, I understand what youā€™re saying though.

I will bet you right now Dawkins Irvin and Walton never plays in the NBA. And I like Walton and Irvin.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been going to the Michigan State tourney for a looong time! I concede the in state elite talent to Izzo, itā€™s the under the radar kids that we consistently target that I want to upgrade. Of those above mentioned 9 kids, only two had M offers coming out of HS. I would take ANY of them over about seven of our existing players today.

If I canā€™t find a better prospect than Doyle, Donnal, Chatman, and Wilson in this state, than I need a new prescription. We need a talent infusion, and it once again looks like we are dependent on Buckeye preps that the mothership didnā€™t want. Weā€™ll see how that works out. I pray that we can hold on to Poole, heā€™s a player.

2 Likes

Agree on Poole. Big fan
Z
Ohio basketball is so weak compared to Michigan. One of my favorite summer league games I ever watched was Ann Arbor Huron taking down Toledo St Johns at Michigan team camp. St Johns had more individual talent and Huron just out toughed them

Hire Jalen Rose as recruiting adviser. We good!

1 Like

The big man recruiting has been bizarre and frankly a total disaster. They appear to want skilled big men and canā€™t identify them when they would really benefit from more athleticism and toughness but they canā€™t identify those guys or donā€™t want them. Whatever the reasons are we keep getting square pegs for round holes and it really limits our ceiling as a team.