M. Wagner

Yeah… Never really understood that one. I went to watch Nance in HS and he looked pretty good. Only thing I can think of is that GR3 was already in the fold which made him a bit redundant.

From the comments above it sounds like Wagner is more of the traditional, MSU, type 4 man. How do you guys seem him projecting into JBs system, when he is on the floor is it going to be more of the two big man type offense that the usual guards/wings and a center that JB uses?

To be fair, Max did have a bunch of injuries during his career. With that said, I really liked Nance and thought we should have taken him instead, and of course in hindsight it was a complete no-brainer.

From the comments above it sounds like Wagner is more of the traditional, MSU, type 4 man. How do you guys seem him projecting into JBs system, when he is on the floor is it going to be more of the two big man type offense that the usual guards/wings and a center that JB uses?

I think Wagner would be best utilized getting the ball when he’s on the move…most likely off a curl from the left side coming right. He’s not a guy where you can dump the ball in the post with his back to the basket and expect him to get a bucket. He is going to get his points in transition, putbacks, and slipping screens or dumpoffs. If he can improve his jumpshot I could see the staff running pick and pop, but he would have to improve his release time a bit as well.

Matt D you should have a discussions about Nance JR with Bear. He couldn’t believe Michigan passed either.

Wouldn’t say Wagner is a ‘traditional MSU type of four man’. He’s not a great rebounder (needs to add strength) and I think he’s a bit more skilled than a ‘traditional four’. He seems like a guy that can pick and pop, drive on bigger guys and occasionally post up smaller guys. I almost think along the lines of some sort of version of Aaron White, but that’s a long ways off.

Wouldn’t say Wagner is a ‘traditional MSU type of four man’. He’s not a great rebounder (needs to add strength) and I think he’s a bit more skilled than a ‘traditional four’. He seems like a guy that can pick and pop, drive on bigger guys and occasionally post up smaller guys. I almost think along the lines of some sort of version of Aaron White, but that’s a long ways off.

Yeah I’m with Dylan here, it’s hard to peg Wagner into any particular position. He’s not a traditional 4 and yet he doesn’t shoot we’ll enough to be a stretch 4. I think he’s just a guy that you use according to the matchup he has on a given game.

Wagner is a “yet” player. Has a chance to be a very good player, but, not big enough yet, not strong enough yet, doesn’t shoot well enough yet, etc etc. Wagner is not nearly a finished product, but he’s a fluid enough 6’9" guy, and can be a very good college player with time and effort.
Between Wilson and Wagner, the future at the 4 is as good as we’ve seen in the Beilein Era. Even sounds like those two will push each other to maximimize potential.

In terms of energy/motor, Wagner is light years ahead of Wilson. Wagner plays with purpose if that makes sense

In terms of energy/motor, Wagner is light years ahead of Wilson. Wagner plays with purpose if that makes sense

I was referring to Brian Cook’s report that he heard Wilson picked up his game after Wagner took it to him on his official visit. Always good to have healthy competition.

Matt D you should have a discussions about Nance JR with Bear. He couldn't believe Michigan passed either.

Nance was dominating Highschool Srs as an 8th grader at our summer basketball camp. I’m rarely in the camp that says use a scholarship on a kid who only has Mid Major offers, but in this instance, I was disappointed JB didn’t grab him after showing some interest.

Wyoming has a very strong presence in Ohio believe it or not. I believe at one time, that staff had coaches on it from Wooster and Mt Union and my former teammate was their director of player personnel. They recruited Nance hard and were close with his Dad before Larry Jr blew up.

Assuming he is primarily a four, where do you see him on the depth chart as a freshman? Who is he behind?

Assuming he is primarily a four, where do you see him on the depth chart as a freshman? Who is he behind?

I imagine Irvin, Wilson and Chatman will all be options at the 4 next year over Wagner.

Except if Wagner really took it to Wilson, per Cook’s report, then Mo may be ahead of DJ.

Here’s the thing… There are real questions about just about anyone that Michigan play at the four (other than Irvin really, but he should slide down eventually). I don’t take much from an open gym report on an official visit but that’s fine.

Bottom line… Wilson, Chatman and Wagner all have somewhat different skillsets and potential to play the four. They all have some upside, but they also have a lot of real question marks. The hope should be that one or two of them realize some of that upside and give some consistent production.

Considering how little we’ve seen of Wilson and Wagner, it’s tough to prognosticate though.

I was referring to Brian Cook's report that he heard Wilson picked up his game after Wagner took it to him on his official visit. Always good to have healthy competition.

I am horrified by this. If Wagner can take it to a 6’11" redshirt soph with long arms, then that would say that Wilson isn’t that good. And Dj is like my favorite player.

But this is not a firsthand report, so let’s hope the info got mashed up…

Wilson having a year on Wagner in terms of weight training is why I give him the nod over Wagner next year.

Like Dylan says, skill-sets are much different so it depends on what JB is trying to do. In my opinion, we need Wilson’s skill-set on the floor more than Wagner’s.

We definitely should have taken Nance, though obviously all the other Big Ten programs missed on him too.

Nance also had some health issues (Crohn’s disease) which affected his career and his evaluation at the time IMO.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/mwest/2015/01/19/larry-nance-jr-wyoming-cowboys-mens-basketball-crohns-disease/22006799/

Was Nance considered a “lock” commit for us if we had offered him?