Looks like non-conference schedule will be out tomorrow

We know we are at NC State for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge (Dec. 1). Wanna know the rest? Monday Morning! #GoBlue pic.twitter.com/B1OeuWQH9T

— Michigan Basketball (@umichbball) August 1, 2015

Per this Tweet… No more road games that we don’t know about

14 total, 9 at Crisler, 5 away, 2 true road and 1 exhibition. Wanna know the rest? Monday morning. #GoBlue pic.twitter.com/UPb65K4fZT

— Michigan Basketball (@umichbball) August 2, 2015

@SMU and @NC State are the true road games and three games in the Bahamas makes five.

Xavier is the only home game that I have seen reported. Le Moyne should be an exhibition I would think, so I guess it would count as one of the 9 at Crisler. Leaves seven games to be announced.

Really disappointed we couldn’t get another real home game.

I hope they play Gonzaga in the Bahamas. Would be a great challenge to Michigan’s young front court. A lot of question marks among the high-majors. And as usual, the cupcakes are very cupcakey.

Really disappointed we couldn't get another real home game.

I get that from a fan perspective, but at the same time the schedule is pretty tough. Six games against HMs (5 away/neutral) is pretty tough.

Yeah, it’s just that most of the non-con HMs on the schedule (aside from a potential matchup with Gonzaga) are a bit suspect, kind of like 2012-13. I remember when Michigan swept their non-con slate that season – NC State, Pitt, Kansas State, WVU, Arkansas I think – and the naysayers said, “They haven’t played anybody!” Definitely a tough road this year but nothing that demands to be circled in red the way Arizona did the past couple years.

Also, the Bahamas games are usually horrible to watch since they are played in a dark converted ballroom rather than a proper sports facility. But now I’m just being negative.

Xavier, NC State are supposed to be pretty decent this year right?

FYI bracket for B4A came out Aug 5 last year.

I think that aside from proactively signing up for Kansas/Duke/Kentucky/NC/Zona, this is about as hard as it can get in terms of quantity and quality. SMU/NC St together probably equate to one top 10 equiv road game like the last two years (Duke, Zona), but I agree it doesn’t have the shine on it. Atlantis should give us some marquee benchmarks. Zags, improved Tx, Cuse, Conn all should be top 50ish quality. Washington has some solid freshmen coming in.

If we get 2 solid games out of Atlantis, our two tough road games, and home with Xavier and go 3-2 through those I’d be more than content. Anything better is a sign that we are on a fantastic trajectory. Not dismissing the NJIT/EMU scenarios, but have to think the number of freshmen and number of injuries last year were the main cause.

Thanks for the info – looking forward to seeing the B4A bracket soon! And I agree that these games might be as tough as any, they just lack a certain je-ne-sais-quoi. I do hope Shaka Smart hits the ground running at Texas, and they’d probably be my second preference for a Bahamas matchup after Gonzaga.

For future years, I’d really like to see a home-and-home against UCLA since they (1) are generally beatable, but (2) for some reason still count as a “resume win” in March. Especially since Michigan is recruiting the talent-loaded west coast more these days (Dawkins, Chatman, Wilson).

Takes two to schedule a home-and-home… It has been increasingly difficult to do recently which is a big reason why you see things like the Gavitt Games popping up IMO.

Really disappointed we couldn't get another real home game.

I get that from a fan perspective, but at the same time the schedule is pretty tough. Six games against HMs (5 away/neutral) is pretty tough.

Yeah definitely a tough schedule, just way more fun being at games like Syracuse last year than Houston Baptist.

Thanks for the info -- looking forward to seeing the B4A bracket soon! And I agree that these games might be as tough as any, they just lack a certain je-ne-sais-quoi. I do hope Shaka Smart hits the ground running at Texas, and they'd probably be my second preference for a Bahamas matchup after Gonzaga.

For future years, I’d really like to see a home-and-home against UCLA since they (1) are generally beatable, but (2) for some reason still count as a “resume win” in March. Especially since Michigan is recruiting the talent-loaded west coast more these days (Dawkins, Chatman, Wilson).

I agree I don’t believe anybody is saying it’s a bad overall schedule. It’s horrible to see the team play in Crisler. This is also probably one of the reasons that Michigan doesn’t have a huge fan following either. Michigan is getting a lot of money to play in the Atlantis tournament. The athletic department would sell the souls of fans to make more money. Getting good home games is not a concern for the program.

What school doesn’t play in preseason tourneys out of respect for their fans?

At this point it is hard to schedule home and homes with teams outside of events like this.

I think Kentucky has said they won’t play in these tournaments even though they play in a 1 day Hoophall classic against South Florida. They have 2 marquee home games against Arizona St and Louisville. They also play Duke and Ohio St on neutral courts in Chicago/Brooklyn respectively. They also play Kansas/UCLA on the road.

I can see why teams like Atlantis/Maui but I don’t believe there’s much upside in them. Kentucky plays 2 good home games and 2 neutral courts which are better for travel and getting fans than playing in Atlantis. I liked the idea of playing in Brooklyn and they aren’t doing that this year.

Schools like these tournaments because you can knock out 3-4 non conference games within a week, with minimal effort and no deals being brokered and agreements to be on future schedules. And you don’t have to pay a school to come to your place to fill a game.

I would prefer home/away games too, but i certainly see why schools do this.

I actually like the early tournaments generally even if the games usually aren’t great due to inexperienced teams, facility issues, and fatigue. I mean, who doesn’t like watching three games in three days? I just think the Atlantis field this year contains a lot of question marks and no guaranteed marquee match-ups for Michigan, except possibly Gonzaga.

I will say that the cupcakes on the schedule suggest the staff was really spooked by NJIT and are trying to avoid a repeat by bringing even softer teams into Crisler – I believe all 7 teams in the “guarantee games” (I guess we shouldn’t use that term anymore) finished well below NJIT and EMU in last year’s Pomeroy rankings.

I actually like the early tournaments generally even if the games usually aren't great due to inexperienced teams, facility issues, and fatigue. I mean, who doesn't like watching three games in three days? I just think the Atlantis field this year contains a lot of question marks and no guaranteed marquee match-ups for Michigan, except possibly Gonzaga.

I will say that the cupcakes on the schedule suggest the staff was really spooked by NJIT and are trying to avoid a repeat by bringing even softer teams into Crisler – I believe all 7 teams in the “guarantee games” (I guess we shouldn’t use that term anymore) finished well below NJIT and EMU in last year’s Pomeroy rankings.

I find that interesting people like these tournaments of 3 in 3 but people often don’t like conference tournaments which is the same the concept. If Atlantis wasn’t played in a ballroom/banquet hall I would probably feel differently.

I actually like the early tournaments generally even if the games usually aren't great due to inexperienced teams, facility issues, and fatigue. I mean, who doesn't like watching three games in three days? I just think the Atlantis field this year contains a lot of question marks and no guaranteed marquee match-ups for Michigan, except possibly Gonzaga.

I find that interesting people like these tournaments of 3 in 3 but people often don’t like conference tournaments which is the same the concept. If Atlantis wasn’t played in a ballroom/banquet hall I would probably feel differently.

Who dislikes conferences tournaments? I’ve heard people say that our teams are poor fits for them (since we tend to lack depth and only run 8 guys regularly), but idk if I hear people say they actively dislike them. They’re secondary to the regular season title, IMO, but they’re still a fun event.

Who dislikes conferences tournaments? I’ve heard people say that our teams are poor fits for them (since we tend to lack depth and only run 8 guys regularly), but idk if I hear people say they actively dislike them. They’re secondary to the regular season title, IMO, but they’re still a fun event.

If this is the reason why the team is a poor fit for conference tournaments why would you play in a preseason tournament like that? I think it’s just a way to rationalize their lack of success in conference tournaments. Like I said Atlantis is a big name but play their games in a ballroom.