Late tip for Michigan-UCLA

Should’ve thrown a bone to Dana Jacobson and Tracy Wolfson too and let one of them do their alma mater’s game.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but I’m happy to not hear the uninspired analysis of Dan Bonner, even if it means missing out on Kevin Harlan.

Eagle and Harlan are objectively the two best PbP of the four, but Nantz (especially with Raf) will always be in the top slot. He gives an unmatched big-game feel to games so he would’ve been my 3rd pick. Anderson is better at baseball than basketball…

1 Like

maybe they’d prefer to get to watch as a fan and not have to work during it tho :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah sorry, my point was that the late game seems like the prime spot given where they have Nance. So it is odd that the U-M game doesn’t have a stronger crew. Maybe just a rotation thing.

2 Likes

Do you think someone like Nantz gets to call his shot on what games he calls?

I have no idea how that works.

Sorry, I meant that as a general inquiry to the community at-large, and bowing a little tongue-in-cheekly to the hallowed ground on which Nantz walks. I’m just imagining him looking over the schedule and telling the Turner folks what game he’s calling, and them scrambling to set the leftover assignments.

1 Like

Count me among those who think that Nance kinda distinguishes himself by being a bit of a nonentity–or, to be more charitable, by his affability. Though I acknowledge his distinctive and calming voice. One does come to associate him with the big games, though. And between he and Grant Hill and Bill Raftery, I dare say that they have a good thing going. . . especially if they dispense with the bogus dissing of Mo Wagner and allusions to Grant’s glory days for the rest of the tournament.

But getting back to M-UCLA. . . I’m having a hard time seeing this one as a huge challenge for Michigan.

EDIT: Dropped confused comment about Gonzaga-USC.

1 Like

Won’t have to stay up late to see Gonzaga-USC since they’ll be playing before the Michigan game!

1 Like

Thanks, I was tying myself in a knot working that all out! We need a strikeout function!

Nantz and Packer always struck me as Fab Five haters and I’ve always disliked them as they were paid well to sit on their ***** and talk about their games but would get all holier than thou.

4 Likes

The “Fabricated Five” comment was really cringeworthy. I can’t speak to what does and doesn’t sit well with Howard, but I can’t imagine it making him feel all warm and fuzzy. Of course at that time, Juwan was still in the NBA and there was probably no thought that he’d be back at Michigan as a coach, so I’m sure Nantz felt safe in throwing out that super lame “insult.”

2 Likes

I don’t think UCLA has the advantage because by now they will have adjusted to EDT. If anything it will be late for them and for UM it is an hour later than the 9 PM starts they occasionally had. Hope UM comes out ready.

Exactly! (Repeat for emphasis and ten characters.)

I think you’re right that they put better game second, but I think we got their 3rd or 4th announcer crew. maybe they disagree, but given your rationale (which again, I think is right), I would have expected to get Harlan and Bonner. Maybe their disagree on the crews.

Nantz is a Houston grad, but hes calling Arkansas - Baylor. The 2 Michigan sideline reporters are calling other games. Probably best to mix them up as we get closer to the big enchilada

One observation…NCAA is doing the same thing tonight: Oregon State has the early slot while Arkansas has the late slot (with the two Texas teams cancelling each other out).

(and, yes, I know Arkansas is also Central time like Texas, but they’re east of Texas)

Plus U M has a big fan base in LA.

My guess CBS didn’t want to give up their Tues prime time programming thus choosing the Mon games.

1 Like