Juwan Howard: Michigan needs to be more 'proactive' on NIL

3 Likes

warde has done nothing leaders and best like, um could do so much better

6 Likes

Warde is such a joke. I think heā€™s a major reason why we lag behind in NIL. Also, after he handled the hockey situation there is reason enough to fire him. Heā€™s so stuck in his ways and takes credit for things that fell in his lap. Cannot wait to get a new AD here

2 Likes

I definitely wondered when that Wangler post dropped if Juwan shared the Harbaugh/Warde consensus on this stuff. Could easily imagine he sees it as being handcuffed by othersā€™ lack of hustle.

8 Likes

Michiganā€™s NIL strategy for recruits is about as smart of a play as deciding to box Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson using only one hand.

2 Likes

Basically boosters wanted a collective, usc would not sign off, so boosters said screw it and started their own against usc wishes. From what iā€™ve heard from some people that have private messaged me on some boards and read on various um boards, something similar is going on here(except boosters have yet to say screw it and start one without um sign off). Basically um admin does not want one and will not give the ok for major boosters to start a collective. These boosters want that because they do not want to risk disassociation. They also know it will be much less powerful if the university is not signing off on it. The big time boosters are not going just give to a collective, they are going ask admin and coaches if it is legit and that their dollars will be properly used. Basically getting a its good from the university gives the collective the credibility to actually raise major funds.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. If they want to do an end around on the admin, I can imagine theyā€™d be doing themselves a service to publicize it and build support w the fanbase. I get why they donā€™t want to go that route but it sure doesnā€™t sound like theyā€™re going to get to yes without some kind of additional leverage.

If they were transparent enough, Iā€™d even throw them a few bucks if thatā€™s a thing.

Ultimately Juan plans will happen. In basketball most of Juanā€™s players successfully turn pro so it is not as critical as in NIl. In football their are many more players and career ending injures. Basically money matters . Recruiting in basketball is usually top ten . In football Michigan is 28 th?

1 Like

I donā€™t know that changing the AD solves most problems, but Iā€™d sure like it to happen nonetheless, and the reason you cited is a good one.

UMs ads have always been super reactive and not prpactive, its why Michigan fell so behind in basketball facilities, football and basketball coach pay etc. Really the only proactive ad Michigan has ever had was dave brandon, and it worked great for everything but football and is a huge reason why um non rev sports have been so successful. Perfect ad would be hackett to manage football, brandon to manage all the other sports and bill martin to handle financing and donor relations.

1 Like

A Dave Brandon stan, eh? Sticking a macaroni out front of Michigan Stadium was nothing if not proactive, I agree

1 Like

Doesnā€™t Baconā€™s book give him credit for the non-revenue sports? Maybe Iā€™m misremembering, but Iā€™m trying to give gb8 some benefit of the doubt re: a guy I despise.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure he didnā€™t make it up. Was just kind of making a joke. His contributions were mostly financial right? Like he got a huge surplus and put a lot of it towards nonrev facilities I think.

What Iā€™ll say re: ADā€™s is that Warde was set up pretty well so he hasnā€™t really had a chance to be proactive except for NIL and thereā€™s 0% chance any AD at Michigan would have a collective set up

Brandon stunk at handling fans and was awful with the football program but was pretty awesome otherwise. He definitely had to go but he did an incredible job with the non football sports. Raised and spent like a maniac and was the first ad to not live by the whole coaches should take a discount for the privilege to coach at Michigan.

1 Like

I think a lot of ADs have some things in common, and I think some things happen over and over again. Vacations during coach-hiring season when you have a coach to hire or know you very well might ā€“ thatā€™s a good example.

2 Likes

I think Warde has done a pretty decent job in many areas ie handling the football coaching situation and hiring Juwan but the minute he praised Bo Schembechler a couple of weeks ago, I wanted his @ss shot out of a cannon. Unacceptably poorly timed remark that betrayed an absolute moron of a reactionary. That was a fireable offense after the school spent millions/goodwill trying to cover its @ss on the whole affair.

Itā€™s a pity this department is mostly run by a bloated, washed football program with little ambition aside from keeping the revenue streams running, because I cannot imagine anyone in the bball program trotting out the ā€˜for college experiencers onlyā€™ line of bs.

3 Likes

The work environment under Dave Brandon was toxic. Heā€™s an egomaniac and Iā€™m glad heā€™s not the AD

1 Like

I wanted to applaud you for giving the best detailed explanation for a question I ask (mostly on a different UM sports blog) every time someone complains about UM AD NIL, which is almost always about failing to induce recruits.

What you describe is basically the only thing I could understand as being a legit fan gripe. Thereā€™s nothing technically that UM can do to stop boosters from giving potential recruits money, but if there is active discouragement & threats from the AD, I acknowledge that thatā€™s not nothing. Iā€™m still not convinced that UM should jump in with both feet like TAMU, and I donā€™t really think there are that many schools that are, but I get the frustration.

HOWEVER, in that long-winded article you linked, it says the breakaway collectiveā€™s ā€œintent is to provide ā€œthe equivalent of a base salaryā€ for every member of USCā€™s football team who is academically eligibleā€. Which still doesnā€™t address the main issue everyone is mad about! It does exactly 0 to induce recruits. All it does is tell recruits that theyā€™ll get paid when theyā€™re here if theyā€™re willing to fulfill appearance contracts, etc., which is exactly what UM athletes can already do.

1 Like