Name, Image and Likeness Discussion

Probably just need a thread for this but I thought this was interesting.

3 Likes
1 Like

I have to assume the 2021 guys who are going pro saw this coming, but will the NIL legislation being approved have any impact on guys like Jaden Hardy or have they already committed to the point of no return? I would think college basketball offers a much better opportunity to build an early brand over the G league. Jalen Green didn’t get nearly the media coverage that guys like Cunningham, Suggs and Mobley were able to get. Might not matter in 3 or 4 years but it could make a difference early on before they get their big contract.

2 Likes

Every school is going to have slightly different rules when it comes this and then how it’s enforced. Some states have rules while others don’t. It’s going to be interesting.

The “not contigent” rule seems like it’s going to end up being a total farce. So they can’t phrase the offer as an if…then statement, but once an athlete commits to a particular school they may just happen to receive offers related to attending that school.

2 Likes

Seems easy enough to pitch it as “here are some examples of NIL packages that our players have received, we think you could put yourself in a similar spot to ____.”

4 Likes

Aside from maybe a few of the most recognizable players that have national attention, all offers in reality will be contingent on playing for a particular school. Not that is necessarily a good or bad thing, just the way it will be regardless of the perfect world the NCAA imagines themselves to be living in.

2 Likes

Not sure I follow. The rule basically says they can’t be pitched as “contingent upon enrollment” but that doesn’t mean you can’t just sign a deal once you are signed.

The school doesn’t say “this is what you get to sign” they say, these are the type of deals we have setup for our athletes in the past.

Exactly it’s a complete farce, this will be pay for play ultimately

2 Likes

I think the key is that basically the company or whatever can not/should not be talking to a recruit before hand if they are only going to only offer a certain school’s players.

1 Like

Of course it will be… But under the old system cheating paid handsomely while following the rules made it 10x harder to win. Under this system those shady practices should be diminished and more stuff should come above board.

3 Likes

Just like coaches aren’t suppose to talk to transfers before they hit the portal. It’s a complete farce and unenforceable, just legalize it all because that’s the way it’s going.

1000% agree, allow it all and let the free market decide. If a booster wants to pay a kid 1mil to attend a school, allow it. The idea you can prevent this from being involved in recruiting may be the dumbest idea I have ever read.

Yes, but not in the old fashioned, score a touchdown get a hundred dollar handshake kind of way. It will be, be a four star w Norte Dame offer, get an indication that you are worth more than a 3 star w Iowa offer. Be an All Big Ten 2nd team, get more than the four star.

It is, however, highly unclear how directly the schools will be in arranging these opportunities. And that’s a great pretty big deal I think as far as turning it into a recruiting/retention tool.

I wonder when we will see Patreons opened by players. I am intrigued as to whether it will be crowdsourced income, shoe rights, or something else that pops as main driver of income for kids.

This is a whole new world

1 Like

Well, right now, Michigan will not engage in pay to play because it’s against the rules. In an hour, they will not be restricted by the same rules. Should help. I hope we’re prepared to be the Leaders and Best on behalf of our athletes.

2 Likes

Exactly. I expect and would like to see all of our current players get NIL deals in a short order. NCAA basically didn’t set any limitation. This is essentially a pro league with no salary caps. Together with the transfer portal, hypothetically, if Nets’s owner decides to throw his money behind Yale’s basketball team, they can become competitive in a year.

1 Like

Eventually, this could evolve into a business model that a group of boosters own/manager the teams with universities as non-executive co-owners that essentially license out their names. I can see many small schools drop their athletic programs altogether or form their own leagues, and big names schools band together to set some rules of their own.

“In addition, Dreamfield plans to take on the increasingly popular NFT (non-fungible token) market, with Milton on its first digital card set to go to auction July 6. The Milton NFT is believed to be the first for an active collegiate athlete. Plans are in the works for King to have his own NFT debut in late July.”

2 Likes