Juwan Howard, Hunter Dickinson, Franz Wagner and Isaiah Livers among All-Big Ten honorees

4 Likes

I guess I’m not all that surprised nobody from Michigan is on the all defensive team but that doesn’t make it any less egregious.

10 Likes

That’s insane

3 Likes

I think we can all agree that the real snub here is Geo Baker being left off the media’s list of honorable mentions.

5 Likes

Franz not making that team is the biggest snub I see.

I love the 4-in offense that first team is trotting out :joy:

7 Likes

FWIW… I am of the strong opinion that it should be the five best players without any positional elements.

3 Likes

For All Big Ten, which is totally about recognition and not putting a team on the floor, I totally agree. I did, though, expect a wing to make it over Trevion.

1 Like

The snubbing of Wagner all-around is unfathomable. And I include Dickerson making first team over him. But particularly the Defensive team.

5 Likes

This feels a lot like when the coach whose team was supposed to win the conference ends up winning the conference, but almost excluded from winning COY because he didn’t “exceed” expectations, even tho you can’t finish higher than first.

Michigan’s whole starting 6 were very good on D, so it’s hard to stand out. Like every game you hear “lockdown defender Morsell/Henry/Wheeler while they spend the whole game standing out for their D.

That being said, anyone who watched Michigan games would see Franz was the standout on the best defensive team in the conference.

1 Like

The Sportmanship awards went to players who actually played, except for Wisconsin whose awardee Higgenbottom is a redshirt freshman who played a total of 9 minutes and has never scored. Was Davison the back-up nominee? I’d be unhappy if I were Ozuna-Harrison.

2 Likes

Sadly, all defensive team awards are given based on how much game announcers talk about a player being “a lockdown defender”. Which derives from how aggressively a coach markets their player as such.

5 Likes

I’m having a hard time coming up with any beefs with these lists. I’d want Franz on the All-Defensive team, but I’m not sure who to remove. Henry maybe?

Honestly the biggest surprise to me was Hunter making the 1st-team (media). Congrats Hunt!

1 Like

On this point, would any random person watching a Maryland game think that Darryl Morsell is a top 5 defensive player in the league if TV announcers didn’t say he was?

2 Likes

Henry for sure.

Is the All-Defensive team decided by anyone in the media? I’m only seeing that under the coaches section, but I don’t know how that process works. I wouldn’t think coaches would be swayed one way or another based on any announcers’ takes.

“Coaches” in this context means “Sports Information Directors”.

3 Likes

The defensive teams are always awful. Remember when Charles Matthews was the best wing defender in the country but didn’t make the all defensive team? Xavier Tillman also missed it, but at least they had the excuse he only played 25 minutes a game that year.

2 Likes

watching the first team play the third team would be hilarious though.

Ahh if that’s the case, then it definitely plays a factor. I know coaches don’t give a crap about those awards, but you’d think defense is one where their input would be the only one that matters.

and Nate Mason over X.