Juwan has called

i doubt that he leaves Miami for another assistant coach job. He was on the short list of the knicks and the lakers.

Vanderbilt was a pre-season hot pick to challenge Kentucky for the SEC and make a deep tournament run. Garland got hurt early in the season. Simi Shittu regressed as the season went on. Bryce Drew’s X’s & O’s got exposed. But that doesn’t change the fact that Vandy was preseason darling. And continues to recruit better than a casual fan would realize.

Michigan & Vandy also share a similar academic profile. On court success the last 2-3 years aside, the two programs aren’t all that dissimilar.

1 Like

Now that you say that, I think they were our main competition for Iggy.

1 Like

You mean historical on court success, or just in the last 10 years. UofM and Vanderbilt bball program aren’t comparable at all. Vandy has been trash for a while
Who cares what people thought of Vandy pre season they were garbage this year and have been for a while

1 Like

Good lord, Simi whatchu doing???

Preseason projections are interesting because they generally indicate how experts view the talent on a team’s roster. Garland is a projected Lottery Pick in this year’s NBA Draft. Shittu was someone Michigan wanted on the recruiting trail — and would have been the crown jewel of UM’s incoming FR class last fall. That tells you a LOT about perception around the prep scene of the Vandy program. Fact was Vandy had a mediocre development and X&O’s staff — couldn’t capitalize on the talent in the program.

If you legitimately look a look at Vandy’s past 10 seasons — well nine before last season. Very far from “trash.” And outside of wins in the NCAA Tournament, regular season production very similar to Michigan’s the past 10 years — again, nine years before the wheels fell off this season.

Back to the original point: Juwan Howard having no college coaching experience should not automatically be a disqualifier for the UM position

1 Like

I worked several Vanderbilt broadcasts this past season. He visibly appeared dis-interested as the season went on. November/early December he looked like he could be an NBA prospect; by February/March he looked like a below average PowerConference rotational player.

Without any direct knowledge of the situation, I would guess that may have been a big reason the new Vandy AD made a change in coaches with that much time remaining on Coach Drew’s contract?

Trash might’ve been a little harsh but they’re record is under .500 since 2011, thats no where near the same success/level UofM has been in the same time frame.

Vandy is not comparable to Michigan over the last 10 or 9 seasons. If you compare the last 10, Michigan is 247-114. Vandy is 183-151. Removing last season and leaving the remaining 9, Michigan is 217-107 and Vandy is 174-128. Pretty large difference there.

1 Like

Excising all postseason tournaments (conference and NIT/NCAA) and looking from '10/'11-'17-'18 (so omitting '18-'19 as requested), here are Michigan and Vandy in that nine-year span:

• Michigan: 179-83
  • Vandy: 146-114

Conference-only records in that same span:

• Michigan: 90-54
  • Vandy: 70-70
2 Likes

That’s still 3.66 wins per year, which can easily be the difference between the big dance and the Not Invited Tournament. Pretty big deal.

Right, I’m of the opinion (like you) that Michigan and Vandy are not comparable!

1 Like

The AAU teams his kids play for are Mac Irvin and Nightrydas.

Mac Irvin is where his oldest Jace (2020) plays. Jace last week in Fort Wayne when i was there joked to my buddy he was gonna go to Michigan. He was wearing a Michigan shirt. That literally was a joke though. The kid I don’t think is High Major. But Mac Irvin is loaded with talent in 2022-2020.

Adam Miller top 30 2020
Mike Foster top 5 2021
Tre White top 10 2022
Amari Bailey top 10 2022

They got several more highly ranked guys between the 17 and 16u teams.

Jett, the youngest is a 2021 on Nightrydas 16u and that team is loaded. Watched them yesterday in Indianapolis. Juwan was there watching both Jace and Jett all weekend as well. Nightrydas 17u team has Scottie Barnes and Isaiah Todd (top 10 2020). They beat Micah Peavy’s team yesterday.

Just saying, if Juwan got hired, he’d have connections simply off the fact that his two sons play for loaded AAU programs. And Juwan is from Chicago, which has both the Mac Irvin Fire and Meanstreets. And Meanstreets has been good to Michigan. That’s where Isaiah Livers played and Tai Streets is the owner of them.

7 Likes

You definitely could be looking at penny hardaway 2.0 with Howard, only at a higher profile school.

Howard doesn’t quite have that pull imo. The difference is Penny coached almost every kid he’s landed this year. Whether it was at Memphis East or his old EYBL program. Juwan would have connections, but not that ironclad strong.

1 Like

I don’t believe that this is accurate. I don’t think that juwan has called. I perfer one of our assistants. We have some great recruits. I’m worried about the staff leaving. Camp Sanderson has been very important. We need to be spot on about this. I would like juwan, as long as he keeps the staffs. We are in on some key recruits.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about Howard being mentioned I was just saying if he ever was considered, he would have decent connections through his sons playing for different major AAU clubs. I know you are referring to whomever started this thread but still.

3 Likes

Yes he would. I’m concerned that he not here for long before he bolts to the nab if he comes. Unless we can get Bennett… I perfer to keep our current staff. I would be pissed if we lose coach Sanderson.

Juwan has always impressed me as both an intelligent and very level-headed person. He has been putting in his time, from what I can see, and learning his craft. He is not an ego-maniac. The kind of cache that he would bring would be unreal. BP3 knows more than me about AAU ball, but Juwan’s clout and reach would transcend that immediate, important pull. A Juwan hire would excite a lot of people. What I can’t talk about is his philosophy, but let’s be honest–Michigan hopefully keeps Yaklich and continues to play lockdown D, but the offense is gonna be, in some real degree, reinvented. My real hope would be that it’s a guy as sensitive to the evolution of the college and pro games as Beilein.

2 Likes

Yeah I could live with Juwan. My only concern is how long he would stay (considering he has worked in the NBA and has interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs.)

2 Likes