July Evaluation Period Notes & Tidbits

Beilein at Adidas tonight checking in on Austin Davis, Brian Bowen, Justin Turner.

Coaches Ollie, Beilein, Brey, Alford, Smart, Dawkins, Pearl, Gottfried & Bennett watching DreamVision vs Michigan Mustangs #AdidasUprising

— Andrew Slater (@ASlater247) July 8, 2015

@Evan_Flood: #Michigan #Indiana #Creighton #Purdue #Huskers seated to watch @MilwaukeeSparta 2016 PG Te’Jon Lucas. #NY2LANEXTLEVEL2K15

Beilein watched Xavier Simpson today too.

MSU and Michigan are both watching the PGs. Neither sees Winston as a sure thing.

Chris Mack, Tom Izzo, Fran McCaffery, Steve Prohm, Matt Painter, John Groce, John Beilein all here for @Xaviersimpson3

— Brian Snow (@BSnowScout) July 9, 2015

Michigan has been among many Mac and Horizon programs watching Showtime 17u sg Karmari Newman (Detroit E. English Village) in pool play.

— TJ Kelley (@scoopIPS) July 9, 2015

Michigan's John Beilein, LaVall Jordan are watching four-star G Kevin Huerter. One of the nation's fastest-rising prospects this spring.

— Chris Johnson (@bychrisjohnson) July 9, 2015

Tyus Battle not at Peach Jam… switching to New Heights and will play in UAA Finals next week.

Tyus Battle not at Peach Jam... switching to New Heights and will play in UAA Finals next week.

Dang dude cant make up his for who wants to play with in any regards! AAU, high school, college. If he makes the pros he will only want to sign 1 year contracts. Even that might make him uncomfortable.

Fascinating things going on with Battle. PSA Cardinals last year then Team Final for a bit this year. Reported he was going with PSA for Peach Jam and now with New Heights, all this on top of changing high schools.

From that standpoint, is that the type of kid you want in your program? I know he is talented enough to make a difference but there are too many red flags.

He was with Team Final two years ago… pretty sure that’s who he was going to play with this year.

Sorry for dumb question…sounds like he’s moving away from a Nike team? Does that push him further away from Michigan, or won’t matter?

Fascinating things going on with Battle. PSA Cardinals last year then Team Final for a bit this year. Reported he was going with PSA for Peach Jam and now with New Heights, all this on top of changing high schools.

From that standpoint, is that the type of kid you want in your program? I know he is talented enough to make a difference but there are too many red flags.

Just hard for me to believe that all this moving and changing isn’t being initiated by his Pops. To bad he just wouldn’t let his kid make his own decisions, but he is seduced by whatever flattering words and plans “the next coach” coos into his ears. He’s not coming here now anyways.

Chezaroo wrote: “Just hard for me to believe that all this moving and changing isn’t being initiated by his Pops. To bad he just wouldn’t let his kid make his own decisions, but he is seduced by whatever flattering words and plans “the next coach” coos into his ears. He’s not coming here now anyways.”

His dad could be flaky, or worse. But–thinking aloud a little–while you almost have to let the kid make the final decision (they’re shortly going to reach they age of majority if they haven’t already, and you don’t want them to be miserable where they land), I can see taking a pretty strong hand in schools my kid checks out. We may agree Michigan and Beilein are great, but just imagine you kid is trending toward something godawful. . .

Chezaroo wrote: "Just hard for me to believe that all this moving and changing isn't being initiated by his Pops. To bad he just wouldn't let his kid make his own decisions, but he is seduced by whatever flattering words and plans "the next coach" coos into his ears. He's not coming here now anyways."

His dad could be flaky, or worse. But–thinking aloud a little–while you almost have to let the kid make the final decision (they’re shortly going to reach they age of majority if they haven’t already, and you don’t want them to be miserable where they land), I can see taking a pretty strong hand in schools my kid checks out. We may agree Michigan and Beilein are great, but just imagine you kid is trending toward something godawful. . .

You don’t have to be a homer to say with confidence that Michigan is a great landing spot. If the kid really wants Michigan, there’s no reason to put your foot down if you’re his dad. With no further visits mentioned at this point, you have to believe that dad wants Syracuse, Tyus wants Michigan. IMO, the line about the family wanting Tyus to consider options is just a smokescreen to give them time to talk him into Syracuse. Maybe it’s all about distance, but there is apparently an AAU connection to Syracuse - or was? He’s changed teams this week. Wherever Tyus goes, I hope that it’s his first choice.

His dad could be flaky, or worse. But--thinking aloud a little--while you almost have to let the kid make the final decision (they're shortly going to reach they age of majority if they haven't already, and you don't want them to be miserable where they land), I can see taking a pretty strong hand in schools my kid checks out. We may agree Michigan and Beilein are great, but just imagine you kid is trending toward something godawful. . .

Sure, and the time to do that is before the kid takes a visit, or before he commits, or even immediately after he commits. Not several weeks later.

Was really just responding to the part of Chezaroo’s post that suggested that Tyus should be allowed to decide, trying to argue why a parent should in fact play a pretty strong hand. I think onlookers tend to read pretty far into people’s actions with little awareness of all the variables. Could be missing something, but have we seen any real proof that it wasn’t Tyus himself who backed out?

Was really just responding to the part of Chezaroo's post that suggested that Tyus should be allowed to decide, trying to argue why a parent should in fact play a pretty strong hand. I think onlookers tend to read pretty far into people's actions with little awareness of all the variables. Could be missing something, but have we seen any real proof that it wasn't Tyus himself who backed out?

Dad said, “He could’ve went to a lot of different schools, but he chose the school he wanted. I kind of wanted him to be home, but I can’t get in his way because I think he’s right.”

Then after decommitting Tyus said, “My whole family just wanted to look at other schools and other options.”

If you’ve been following this and read all the articles, tweets, etc. you just get the sense that Tyus wanted to come to Michigan and his father/family are against it.

Voltron, he is only considering Nike schools at this point (Cuse, Duke, Michigan, Uconn) so I don’t think it matters a bit unless he decides to take his last trip to ND or Maryland.

But why even consider either of those places if Michigan is a problem re:distance. Who the heck knows at this point

Austin Davis invited to Adidas All-American Camp next week in NY.

Other notables Jaren Jackson, Quentin Goodin, Xavier Tillman, Brian Bowen

Voltron, he is only considering Nike schools at this point (Cuse, Duke, Michigan, Uconn) so I don't think it matters a bit unless he decides to take his last trip to ND or Maryland.

But why even consider either of those places if Michigan is a problem re:distance. Who the heck knows at this point

Maryland is closer to him than Syracuse.

I agree with Sane1 above, and have said in another thread, that it really seems to boil down to Tyus wants Michigan and his Dad wants Syracuse.

As far as distance being the main issue in “looking out for his son” I mean really? What if Tyus develops and goes pro…will Daddy Battle only want him to get drafted by Brooklyn or New York? The priority should be where will he develop his game more because a great education (if he wants it) will be an option wherever is chosen. With the sanctions and uncertainty around the Cuse program will that be the case. I’ve heard some say Cuse is offering the primary ball handler spot. I think Michigan has shown our guards (plural) handle the ball…not our guard (singular). Can anyone watch Stauskas’ sophomore year and say he wasn’t the primary ball handler from the 2 guard spot in the half court offense and pick and rolls. I don’t know what the motives are behind the Battle’s pushing Tyus away from Michigan.

And if Tyus is truly the one who changed his mind and isn’t being pressured to do so…than God bless him. I don’t like it as the time he held the scholarship cost us recruiting time and possibly Langford. But it was within his rights to do so, however immature it was. But I’ve followed all the articles, tweets, comments on the subject I could and it does not appear to be so. It clearly appears to be family oriented and driven which is why he says “my family wanted me to look at my options.” Not “I wanted to review my options.”