Jon Teske commits

So who is next to drop? Towns? DTJR? Dozier?

Towns imo

So who is next to drop? Towns? DTJR? Dozier?

I’d guess Towns, but only because he too hasn’t blown up and gotten a ton of high major offers (unlike his teammate Moyer). Still want the other two you listed as well though.

Skill sets like Teske’s are rare and tremendously valuable. He needs to put on some weight obviously, but he’s the type of guy who’s game is versatile enough that he gives you a lot of options as to who to play beside him.

Great get and love the ripple effect of 2 comittments in 2 days. Hopefully it will have a similar effect that Hatch and Donnal commitments did a few years ago. Jon is coming into a great situation as well, most likely having a year or so to get used to the speed of the game and be an impact guy as a sophomore.

Teske discusses his commitment on the front page. Michigan wouldn’t be at every AAU game for a kid it didn’t love. That’s the sort of attention they pay to guys like Thornton, Battle, Leaf… Not even everyone they’ve offered. Says a lot IMO.

However, given the way our top recruits have developed in recent years, it would certainly not shock me to see any (or all) of Walton, Irvin, and Chatman gone by 2016. If two of the three are gone, we would have *four* additional scholarships to give in 2016 (maybe Thornton, Leaf, Battle/Langford, and Towns - a dream class to be sure, but who knows).
So if any of Walton, Irvin, or Chatman are gone by 2016 (which I agree it's likely at least one will be), we'd have to be pretty confident of that by the end of this season in order to take advantage of it for the '16 class. I don't really think this coaching staff will accept more commitments now than what they know they'll have.

Full game film below (#33 in yellow). My initial impressions after watching the full game:

Athleticism - Teske is VERY challenged vertically, he is probably getting 4-8 inches off the ground. If I’m being brutally honest, there can’t be many high major players that are that challenged in terms of verticality, he really struggles in that department. His shot was blocked several times by smaller players. A below average athlete of that size/length would’ve been able to dunk a couple of those attempts with ease. What is shocking is that although Teske can’t jump a lick, he actually moves fairly well laterally for a kid that size. The film below reflects that, as he was beat off the pump fake then recovered, and was able to stick with much smaller guards when they attempted to penetrate. He is also very weak, he was routinely off balance and shoved around by much smaller players in this game. Definitely needs 35-40 lbs of muscle in a bad way.

Offense - Teske is a project at this point. He has bad hands, as he dropped or fumbled several passes. Doesn’t appear to have any footwork/pump fakes of note. Decent form on his shot, looks to have the potential to be a decent pick and pop player from the elbow. Hit a good rate of his FTs in good form. Very poor finisher due to his lack of explosiveness/vertical.

Defense - this is where Teske is downright dominant. I counted 8-9 blocked shots (1 could’ve been after the buzzer). His timing and ability to block shots while staying vertical and not fouling is simply superb. That timing simply can’t be taught. Looks to be a poor rebounder considering his size, but I think that has more to due with his lack of strength than anything else.

Overall - no doubt in my mind that Teske will be a top 100 player when the rankings are updated. His ability to block shots and dominate the game on defense warrants that. The closest comparison I can think of at this point is Adam Woodbury of Iowa. A guy that isn’t going to give you much on offense, but will block 2-3 shots per game and give you 5-7 boards a game in the early years, with potential to be a 10-12 ppg/7 rebound/3 block player as a senior.

I have to say I’m pretty excited about adding Teske after watching the film. His ability to block shots can change games. He will give us an entirely new dimension on defense, he gives our perimeter players more margin for error and the ability to play for TOs because he can erase those mistakes. I’d also anticipate an uptick in fast break points during Teske’s tenure because those blocked/altered shots will turn into easy layups 2-3 times per game.

Geoff, you’re probably right. At the same time, I’ll bet the coaches have no problem taking a 2015 right now on the assumption Caris is gone. The question will be whether Walton, Chatman or Irvin reaches Caris’ current level - good enough to be a strong bet to leave next year. For whatever reason, I have a feeling Walton may get there.

However, given the way our top recruits have developed in recent years, it would certainly not shock me to see any (or all) of Walton, Irvin, and Chatman gone by 2016. If two of the three are gone, we would have *four* additional scholarships to give in 2016 (maybe Thornton, Leaf, Battle/Langford, and Towns - a dream class to be sure, but who knows).
So if any of Walton, Irvin, or Chatman are gone by 2016 (which I agree it's likely at least one will be), we'd have to be pretty confident of that by the end of this season in order to take advantage of it for the '16 class. I don't really think this coaching staff will accept more commitments now than what they know they'll have.

I think we will know if Walton and Irvin are gone by May via 2016 mocks. Honestly, I could see them leaving after a 3rd year, even if it means Europe or D league.

Four still seems like the number for the 2016 class to me.

In 2015 I think they look for an impact guy like Dozier or Swanigan, etc. and of course keep their eyes open for other situations that develop.

The numbers will work themselves out by the time the 2016 class signs one way or another. That’s just how it works.

If he passes the MattD eye test, then color me satisfied.

Looks like my top 100 prediction will come to fruition

Per @BSnowScout @JonTeske to be elevated to 4 stars in Scout's rankings update and that was already scheduled BEFORE his #Michigan commit

— Sam Webb (@SamWebb77) August 8, 2014

Beilein was pretty clear this year that he wanted to add a shot blocker to the roster after all of the rule changes. Michigan really hasn’t had a good one under Beilein other than Udoh who left obviously.

Agree with most of @MattD’s report. He needs to work on becoming a better athlete vertically, but he’s still very young. He moves so well for a kid that’s already 7-foot and that’s a really good sign I think because he has so much time to mature physically.

His offensively skills aren’t all there, but the signs are there and it will be really interesting to see him grow.

Beilein was pretty clear this year that he wanted to add a shot blocker to the roster after all of the rule changes. Michigan really hasn't had a good one under Beilein other than Udoh who left obviously.

Agree with most of @MattD’s report. He needs to work on becoming a better athlete vertically, but he’s still very young. He moves so well for a kid that’s already 7-foot and that’s a really good sign I think because he has so much time to mature physically.

His offensively skills aren’t all there, but the signs are there and it will be really interesting to see him grow.

I was shocked at how well he moved laterally in light of his poor vertical. I can’t wait to have Teske anchoring the pick and roll D. He recovers well for a kid that big.

If true, this is a thing of beauty

Big note: both Tyus Battle AND Derryck Thornton have expressed interest in playing with Teske......oh my please....#GoBlue

— † WolverineDevotee (@WolverinesMike) August 8, 2014

Sam Webb teased something on Twitter about Teske’s dad clicking with the dads of 2 other top targets…assuming those are it.

To be fair, Derryck Thornton’s dad is very personable. Has no problem making friends :slight_smile:

Man - -That was tough to watch. I just found myself telling myself thank goodness this guy has 2 or maybe 3 years before he sees the floor. Needs a lot of work…Pure Project.

If true, this is a thing of beauty

Big note: both Tyus Battle AND Derryck Thornton have expressed interest in playing with Teske......oh my please....#GoBlue

— † WolverineDevotee (@WolverinesMike) August 8, 2014

Don’t… don’t play me like that.