'It wasn't a good afternoon for us': Michigan's NCAA Tournament hopes crushed in loss to Rutgers

2 Likes

Yes, I’m somebody who knows that if a player doesn’t block out during a free throw it is not the coach’s fault. I learned in 3rd grade to block out on FTs and didn’t need coaches telling me to do it in the pregame speech or pregame walkthroughs to “prepare” me. It is a mental lapse on the kid, not a coaching failure

5 Likes

Jon Belein

3 Likes

Thank you I was unsure how to spell the name.

1 Like

If you want some - come get some
Cause where I’m from we tote big guns
And everybody know somebody
That know somebody that know somethin bout it

3 Likes

This is the first time KidDet has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

Do we have to?

Btw, the correct spelling is BeeLine, bruh.

2 Likes

let’s go (let’s go)
if u want it u can get it let me know (let me know)
i’m bout to fucc a dylan up
let’s go (let’s go)

What!!! You didn’t need a coach telling you anything prior to a game? Obviously Michigan players do. How about telling your players during the game? Is it a mental lapse in the second half of a game? How about coaching your team to keep their head in the entire game. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the world were filled with basketball geniuses like you. Tell them something once, in third grade, and you never have to tell them again, but then again I guess we could expect more mental lapses.

1 Like

Haha do you honestly think coaches should be yelling “box out!” every time a shot goes up in the air? Or telling the players that in the pregame speech? Or telling them to box out on free throws during a timeout? Coaches have better things to do during a game than to remind players about fundamentals that everyone already knows.

And how does the “coaching your team to keep their head in the game” look in a practical sense? Do you call timeout and spend the timeout saying “Keep your head in the game! Box out! Play defense! Rebound! Don’t turn the ball over!” and then magically everything goes well after that?

There are things that can be critiqued, but this ain’t it.

4 Likes

My College Hoops 2K6 players listen to me. I tell them things and they listen. They listen when I say things. The things I say are heard by my computer-generated basketball players on my PlayStation 2 gaming console.

Only when the “in the huddle” mic is turned on.

8 Likes

You’re answering why this is a critique in your own words. Clearly fundamentals are less important to Howard than the previous coach. These are the aspects of the game that should be constant, and the teams that are closer to that constant have clearly bought into a culture that has a solid base of fundamentals.

I’d be curious how practice breakdowns vary between Howard and Beilein. How much time is spent on pivoting, passing, floor management, game management. I’d wager the latter spent more time on these little things. What do you think?

I would agree, but it would also be accurate for literally any coach that you compared to Beilein. Beilein broke down the fundamentals like no other coach. He spent a ton of time of extremely basic stuff that I’m sure the players thought was silly, but it was important to JB.

That said, I am willing to bet that Beilein spent the exact same amount of time on boxing out free throw shooters as Juwan. This is just not something that coaches focus on. Your attention is far better served practicing offense and defense or even regular rebounding off of game action. What happened on the FT attempt has absolutely zero to do with coaching. It’s simply an opportunity for the haters to emerge from the woodwork to erroneously criticize Juwan for something they are mad about. Criticize the second half gameplan, criticize the roster construction, criticize lineups/rotations, criticize something that actually has to do with coaching.

4 Likes

This seems like shooting an arrow and then drawing a bullseye around it.

I am going to quote a sentence from Jared’s article here, and bold and underline a phrase, and this will be my version of shouting for those in the back.

Neither had boxed out the shooter, perhaps the most elementary-level play in the sport.

My son plays 13u travel. His teams have done this for 4 years. This is not something an NCAA coach bothers with, just as they don’t teach kids how to catch. Jett and Dug, due to distraction, fatigue, or an attractive woman behind the stands, were not dialed in at that moment (or most likely thought the other was doing it).

“It was a little deflating,” Dickinson said. “Just miscommunication between us, the guys out there. That’s something we practice a lot. Unacceptable. The coaches emphasize it in practice and in timeouts, one guy declaring the shooter, one guy pinching in. That’s just on the players on the floor to do a better job of communicating to one another.”

I am amused when people ask questions answered by the article they are commenting on.

1 Like

I think the fact that it was a routine occurrence on FT attempts for Jett is kind of a slight indictment on the staff for not noticing and/or correcting the behavior on something that shouldn’t need to be coached in the first place.

1 Like

Fundamentals are important for consistency. Communication and being vocal is even more important, and it is the role of the team leader on the floor. Sometimes we question why Jace is on the floor, but we miss the fact he is a vocal leader reminding his team who is doing what “I got the foul shooter”, “switch”, “I got #21”, “box out” etc. I am not sure our guys communicate effectively during the game.

A big thanks to our Wolverine team and coaches for your hard work this season! You were up against it with the injury and surprising departures to the pros prior. I liked the progress made with such a young team and I always look forward to watching the games. Against Rutgers in the second-half it was a lot of pressure on our young men and they may have gotten too tense. There was evidence that experience makes a difference with Dickinson, who has been through it before, continuing to rack up points.

Stay strong all and Go Blue!

Jon

11 Likes

One of my all-time favourite coaching quotes is “You get what you accept”.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear what actually goes on in the team huddle during a timeout. I always thought there was some very technical basketball stuff being discussed and plays diagramed. What I’ve learn from the “in the huddle cam” is that the coaches are actually telling the players to get back on defense, go hard to the basket and yes “box out”

3 Likes

I would bet my Mortgage that there is footage of Howard telling players to box out on a free-throw attempt in the last three weeks. I even thought to myself, “Yep coaches still have to say that”.

Coaches say it very often, and players have mental lapses on it very rarely. That play was just the perfect storm. And it just so happened to be the snowball that turned into an avalanche.

3 Likes