'It wasn't a good afternoon for us': Michigan's NCAA Tournament hopes crushed in loss to Rutgers

Wait, missing the shooter on a box out has been a “routine occurrence”?

3 Likes

it happened once and then repeatedly in my head afterward, at the very least!

It just seems like people are starting with conclusions and the searching for (or making up?) evidence

Hence my drawing a bullseye around your arrow comment

2 Likes

such a good and useful phrase

2 Likes

Especially when something like that happens…

1 Like

Practice breakdown:

30-45 mins: warm ups

10-25 mins: reminiscing about John Beilein

2.5 hours: watching NBA

6+ hours: looking at tiktok

30-45 mins: forgetting fundamentals

6 Likes

Idk if missing the shooter on the box out has been a routine occurrence, but being in a 3v3 rebound situation on FTs has absolutely been a routine occurrence. There were 6 events against Illinois, at least 1 against Indiana, and at least 1 against Rutgers where Jett didn’t do anything. That is what warranted my comment. This isn’t even a cherry picked list either, I just fast forwarded through the highlights on the Indiana and Illinois games and found 7 events, plus the one against Rutgers. I’m not sure how you can deny that isn’t a routine occurrence? Can you imagine the other 20something games that weren’t nearly as important as the last three?

(five separate events at 17:27, 23:48, 23:52, 25:22, 29:35, 32:16)

(16:20)

1 Like

I was responding to the claim that missing the shooter was a routine occurrence

I will grant that something else might be a routine occurrence.

2 Likes

i also think there’s a bit of fundamental (definition 1) attribution error going on here - the idea was that john beilein drilled fundamentals (definition 2) extremely hard, so even though they went two full seasons in the middle of the last decade without being able to inbound the ball against any sort of pressure, no one remembers that as a problem with Beilein’s fundamentals coaching - they just assume it’s something else, not an example of how coaches can’t drill every fundamental to 100% accuracy. (i’m also under no illusions that anyone’s really thinking of this at all these days; i guess i’m also pointing out the rose-colored glasses that time places over all of our eyes.)

3 Likes

I remember some consternation about DJ Wilson’s boxing out on FTs.

3 Likes

In a very big moment, too.

3 Likes

Coaching is also mental. The good coaches tests a player’s poise. Put a player through adverse situations in training, the weight room, practice, and create a human that keeps his focus when they’re tired or at risk for being distracted.

The test for Juwan and Jett is how do they cultivate him into a player that can sustain focus. It’s a two part thing and both are capable of it.

1 Like

Coaching defensive FT responsibilities should be pretty simple at that level. I’m surprised to hear Hunter say they practice it all the time. I would think you set your responsibilities and practice it in the pre-season the same way pitchers do a lot of PFP in spring training. Once the season begins, you remind during the game, change the strategy a bit in certain situations, and hold guys accountable when they don’t do it correctly.

1 Like

I’m with you. Juwan deserved some heat this year but that play was on Jett or Dug ( whoever dropped the ball).

Leaning towards Jett for obvious reasons and the body language from both after.

2 Likes