Interesting question asked on FSR this morning

Would Michigan fans trade a National Championship in Hoops for a win against OSU in Football?

My personal belief is that Michigan is now more of a Basketball school than a Football school, especially based on the fact that UM has only won 2 of the last 19 games against OSU in Football.

Not a chance. I wouldn’t trade a hoops title for a football title. I’ve seen a Michigan football national title, even if I was only 8. I was only a few months old when Michigan beat Seton Hall in 89.

I need a hoops title, a Tigers WS and a Lions Super Bowl to complete the collection of titles for my conscious memory. I’ve already got Wolverines football and hockey, DCFC trophies, Wings have won multiple Cups, Pistons won in 04.

10 Likes

Assuming almost everyone on here would say no, although a good amount of folks on MGoBoard or 247 would say yes.

3 Likes

No offense to OP, but that’s not an interesting question. There’s one answer.

6 Likes

HAIL NO!!! Would say.

1 Like

A National title vs. a single football win against TOSU? Not a chance and I can’t imagine anyone going for that. I do get that a lot of Michigan fans would trade a National title in basketball for one in football though.

Would you trade a hoops National title for a win against OSU

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

National Championship Basketball > a win over OSU Football without a doubt.

1 Like

I mean no ill-will OP but if I’m being brutally honest that question is downright offensive lol

I can’t even imagine the outrage on mgoblog if I were to ask would you trade a Football NC for, like, Chet Holmgren.

1 Like

I have been a Michigan Football fan longer than I have been a Michigan Basketball fan, and we all know that’s a LONG time! I would LOVE for Michigan under Harbaugh to beat the Buckeyes, but nothing, NOTHING, would be better than a National Championship in basketball under Coach Juwan Howard! Easy choice. :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Michigan Football is an underachieving disappointment year after year. No way would I take away something from a program that deserves a championship like Basketball does, just so Football could do what’s expected of them one time

WHO IS THE ONE

SHOW YOURSELF

(Complete sentence)

6 Likes

Srsly, we’re in a small minority here. But a happy, not-dysfunctional minority. It’s great to be here!

3 Likes

The best UofM athletics related happy, not-dysfunctional minority. Have you have glanced at a game thread on 247 and MGoBlog? Yikes.

1 Like

Username: IamNOTJHarbaugh :wink:

1 Like

This would be more interesting if the question were like, “Guaranteed national title in basketball vs. playoff appearance [with unknown outcome] in football.”

I still wouldn’t give it up but could see how someone might if they prefer football. To offer just an OSU win is a poor deal even if you love football. It could be a 1990s scenario where we win that game but finish 9-4.

6 Likes

There is simply nothing the football team could do that would want me to trade away a basketball national championship. #basketballschool

10 Likes

There is no friggin’ way I’d trade a basketball national championship for a football win over OSU. Five years ago I’d probably have to think about it. Today? No bleepin’ way. Easiest decision ever.

Why five years ago? This seems like an easy call at any time. We are talking about a national championship versus a regular season win that means nothing other than for pride. The one little blip year where Michigan beat Fickell literally meant nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The only question that even seems like a legitimate debate is whether you’d rather win a football national championship or basketball national championship. Obviously the vast majority of the Michigan fan base would say football, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this board said basketball.

3 Likes

I’m with you on this. I would go even further to say that I would not trade a national championship in any sport for a regular season victory in another sport, including football over Ohio State.

3 Likes