Iffff we were to look for a coach who would be realistic targets?

Same boat here. I don’t think people realize just how insanely rare it is for coaches to be legitimately 100% clean like Beilein was. Obviously no one being actively probed by the FBI should even be considered, but almost anyone else should be open game.

Do people really think that Michigan athletics has operated completely clean this decade? That Rashan Gary wasn’t a last second outbid of Clemson? Because having worked two years at a summer job with a couple lower level football players in the past, they’re the first to tell you that Michigan’s 5 star recruits get compensated every competitively.

3 Likes

Granted I’m in a dark mood at the moment given the circumstances, but watching the NCAA cesspool drive out its very best in Beilein while guys like Wade and Miller are still employed makes me want to go Walter White.

7 Likes

Rules that aren’t enforced, aren’t rules. The NCAA has de facto endorsed the “dirty” money in the game. At this point, it’s not dirty.

2 Likes
8 Likes

You got the first part right.

1 Like

Mike White? No way.

As long as it’s the players and their families that benefit and not the agents and hustlers, I have no moral issue with it either.

1 Like

Agree 100%

Wishful thinking on their part.

All I know is that the fan base will be split on whoever it is

2 Likes

I just want to say how sorry I am to hear the news. Tremendous respect for him. Hell of a great coach, did it the right way, and clean as a whistle. I’m happy for him, but its a huge loss for college basketball.

Michigan is the kind of program UCLA thought it was during its coaching search. Top-shelf program, and you guys should have outstanding candidates lining up to be considered for the job. Other than Tony Bennett, because that’d make us sad, and his wife is from, I think, Louisiana and doesn’t like the cold.

9 Likes

Have to think that the search will be wide for the new coach, but the position will not stay open for long. Thanks to what Coach Beilein has at U of M this one of the coaching jobs that alot people will want.

1 Like
1 Like

Zero chance we are paying football players. Utter nonsense.

I think only considering coaches that have been as squeaky clean as Beilein is unrealistic. What’s important is to hire a coach who can conform to the school’s standards, whatever they might be.

Michigan needs to be clear about that during their search. If they insist on the next coach continuing Beilein’s standards, some coaches will take themselves out of the running. Maybe it makes the job more attractive to others.

It can cut both ways. Beilein would have been disqualified for some jobs because he’s unwilling to cheat.

2 Likes

What about Hoiberg? Would he jump ship for Michigan right after going to Nebraska?

1 Like

Nike/Jordan will be a big UM promoter here. They’ll have a say.

4 Likes

Really think so?

1 Like

Is there any evidence shoe companies have ever had a say in a coaching hire? How could they possibly do that? Who from Nike would be making these calls?

2 Likes

Might as well really change things up. Does Penny Hardaway like Jordan brand?