Ibi Watson to Michigan

Remains to be seen if Crean would’ve followed through. Not a fan of his sincerity or his credibility. If Ibi hadn’t just been offered by M, than of course he takes an IU “offer” if it’s there. Otherwise he’s choosing between local MAC schools. Surprising that his “blowing up” summer hadn’t generated any other offers but those as of yet. He checks all of the JB necessary boxes. Now if he can just play. Isn’t that what we’re all hoping for? Leaf, Langford, Battle, Bridges, Huerter, Coffee… ends up being Watson. Go get 'em young fella, you’ve got a great opportunity. Welcome to the Blue!

Huerter is still a guy that I’d like to take, maybe as a 2017 kid (he’s not even 16 yet I believe). I just think he’s a perfect fit for U-M in so many ways.

Huerter is still a guy that I'd like to take, maybe as a 2017 kid (he's not even 16 yet I believe). I just think he's a perfect fit for U-M in so many ways.

Love his film for so young. Would be ecstatic if he ended up here in … 17?

Just one additional thought on Watson… Beilein has generally done a really good job with people he’s evaluated either extensively and (especially) in a camp setting.

He gets a lot of credit for guys like Spike, Caris, Aubrey… but I chalk those up a little bit more to luck. Not saying they are all luck by any stretch, but more a result of wheeling and dealing late and looking for the right fit.

The Glenn Robinson III/Tim Hardaway Jr. mold is just the opposite. Guys that Beilein was on early, guys that camped at Michigan and that Beilein followed closely ‘before it was cool’ so to speak.

Watson did rise up after Battle/Langford drama, but he’s not a late add like that first group. Beilein has watched him A LOT over the last two months and I think that should count for something.

It does and it will, if he can play. A classic JB recruit just waiting to be developed.

Interestingly, a month or two ago Huerter was getting the exact same skepticism as Watson is now. I like his film, by the way, and would be fine if they went with him if Winston goes elsewhere or in '17.

How old is Watson, if anyone knows?

Huerter’s offer list is full of high majors and traditional top 20 programs, right now. It’s only going to grow going forward. That kid can play for his age.

Interestingly, a month or two ago Huerter was getting the exact same skepticism as Watson is now. I like his film, by the way, and would be fine if they went with him if Winston goes elsewhere or in '17.

How old is Watson, if anyone knows?

It shouldn’t be an either/or thing. Getting a PG is absolutely imperative for this class.

And we lost a better player to Harvard.

It’s abundantly clear that we moved on from Towns by the time he was ready to commit. It’s fair to opine that JB made the wrong choice, but definitely not fair to say we “lost”.

As for Watson…I was holding out hope for Coffey to be a better version of Battle. As it stands, we will have to play the long game and get more out of Watson in 2-4 years than we would have out of Battle in 1-2. Unlike our other “misses” in the past, this direct comparison between Watson and Battle feels like something we will be constantly evaluating. Hopefully JB wins again just like he did with so many other prior examples.

Watson definitely has some upside, lots of potential and I believe he has a chance to land 4 Star status by the time he hits campus. A shooter that should fit well in the system and be another under the radar guy who excels under Coach Beilein.

I wonder how this looks perspective wise for the rest of the class? Unless we have some attrition such as Zak going pro this closes the door on a Bridges/Winston combo. As is we need Davis to reclassify to fit a PG in this class. We may feel we are out of it for Bridges so hopefully Winston doesn’t need Bridges there to commit to us. Winston remains the target at PG but who knows.

Overall I’m pleased with this commitment of Watson but still skeptical of the long term recruiting planning.

Whatever the reason, Towns is looking pretty good right now. Oh well, with any luck we won’t have to face Amaker to find out just how good.

Anyway, I’m with AlbrechtSF that we need the PG. And if Winston follows Bridges to State, I would go hard after Goodin rather than just take “whoever really really wants to come.”

Any player comparisons (College, NBA, or Past)?

Whatever the reason, Towns is looking pretty good right now. Oh well, with any luck we won't have to face Amaker to find out just how good.

Anyway, I’m with AlbrechtSF that we need the PG. And if Winston follows Bridges to State, I would go hard after Goodin rather than just take “whoever really really wants to come.”

I would have no qualms playing Harvard in the next few years.

There is also no question that we are taking a PG in this class. If it’s not Winston, then it’s Lucas, or Pritchard, or Goodin, or Simpson, or Bibby. Staff has widened the net.

Smaller version but reminds me of Antoine Joubert in the way he dribbles right and pulls up for the jumper.
Second coming of the Judge.
Here’s a fun clip of Joubert and Southwestern vs Kettering from 1983

Ibi has CONSIDERABLY MORE athletic ability and explosion than Joubert could ever dream of having. Not even close.

Winston is very much still in play and he’s their top priority. They want this class to have a PG. They didn’t follow Cassius Winston around for the last two years to stop recruiting him now.

As for Bridges, I don’t think Cassius’ choice will be based on Bridges’ choice. And the chance of Bridges choosing Michigan was/is very low IMO.

Q Goodin is visiting Xavier for an official coming up. Not sure I would peg him as the most likely backup option at the PG.

I think that guy might be Tejon Lucas. He had a lot of attention from Michigan throughout July and drew rave reviews.

Winston is very much still in play and he's their top priority. They want this class to have a PG. They didn't follow Cassius Winston around for the last two years to stop recruiting him now.

As for Bridges, I don’t think Cassius’ choice will be based on Bridges’ choice. And the chance of Bridges choosing Michigan was/is very low IMO.

Q Goodin is visiting Xavier for an official coming up. Not sure I would peg him as the most likely backup option at the PG.

I think that guy might be Tejon Lucas. He had a lot of attention from Michigan throughout July and drew rave reviews.

Becoming less and less enamored with Goodin by the week. Caught him on ESPNU last week and subsequently watched a lot of his highlight film that’s available. I just don’t see his skill set meshing all that well with us. Here’s hoping that Lucas wasn’t a flash in the pan, cause he’s a much better fit IMO. I’d be very happy with Tejon if Winston doesn’t work out.

Winston is very much still in play and he's their top priority. They want this class to have a PG. They didn't follow Cassius Winston around for the last two years to stop recruiting him now.

Dylan, do we know Lucas’ timeline at this point? Can we wait out Winston’s official visits at least (if not his decision) before being forced into a decision on Lucas, or is that still an open question?

Guys developing so fast mixed in with pretty bad luck with injuries/ridiculous suspensions left us a primarily young roster last year.

Going forward, it looks like we will finally be able to mix in some veterans with the younger guys.

@Voltron_Blue: Working on getting some specifics, but considering how quickly he blew up… I suspect Tejon isn’t quite as far along in the process and will start taking some visits, etc. before getting closer to a decision.