Hunter Dickinson named Second Team All-Big Ten

Hunter is a really good defensive player IMO. Purdue’s defensive issues come down to the mobility at the five and Ivey off the ball IMO.

1 Like

Well, last year we had the #1 in conference and top 4 in the country and didn’t get anyone, so assuming the opposite at least has some basis… :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Nah… I just don’t think SIDs are very good at voting for awards.

Something like Christie having 5 B10 Frosh of the Week Awards and Houstan having 1 is far more likely to play into the voting than an anti-Juwan Howard conspiracy.

4 Likes

Yet Eric Hunter….

If Hepburn doesn’t bank in that three, does he get on the team? A Christie-Houstan comparison using only conference numbers would be interesting. Christie definitely had the better first couple months to the year. But since then, Caleb has him significantly beat I would think

2 Likes

Retiring this image after this. First team all-defense EJ Liddell :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smirk::smirk::smirk:

7 Likes

Not when you have a player like Eli who literally defends the best player on the other team that’s not a big, night in and out. :wink:

Okay UMhoops it’s time for a blind player comparison test in light of today’s award announcements.

Hint: use this to rebuttal your Spartan enemies

Player A: (15 games) - 8.3 PPG, 30% FG, 28% 3FG, 3.5 RPG, 1.6 APG

Player B: (15 games) - 8.1 PPG, 34% FG, 28% 3FG, 3.2 RPG, 1.4 APG

Name those players!

B1G All-Defense Team

Franz because he should’ve been on there last year
The dreaded moving screen
Charge calls when a player just dives under an offensive player who’s already started to jump
Travel calls when a player drives from a triple-threat position
The side out of bounds line (elite 3pt defense)

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a weird one where Liddell put up huge block numbers by moving to the four… but OSU was also even worse defensively.

I think it’s really hard to say anyone other than Caleb and Trent is elite defensively this year to be honest. I guess that happens when every team allows > 1 PPP. I’d probably put Race ahead of several guys who made the team.

Liddell did block a lot of shots though but he certainly didn’t make OSU any good defensively. I’d probably say Hunter was worse defensively this year than EJ was better defensively. Both teams were about as bad defensively as you can be and still finish with a winning record.

1 Like

Gabe Brown and Max Christie

What is the 15 game sample size?

1 Like

That’s part of the riddle!

2 Likes

One of the two is accurate

Christie’s last 15 vs. Houstan’s first 15

Close!

Player A is Caleb Houstan in away/neutral games

Player B is Max Christie in away/neutral games

All I’ve heard is “Houstan’s been so bad away from home”. Like Christie hasn’t……

The difference is Houstan has been legitimately great the last month at home while Christie is still a pretty mediocre role player.

13 Likes

Yep - agree with all of this

Surprised Bingham wasn’t on the all-Defensive team. His shot-blocking rate is well above the rest of the conference.

1 Like

In the offseason, would it be a worthwhile study to see why the conference, as a whole, seemed to really struggle to defend this year? Is it a simple answer such as many teams lost impact defenders from last year and replacements weren’t as good or there were more offensive skilled players this year or is there a more complicated answer?

1 Like