Hunter Dickinson declares for NBA Draft, will retain eligibility

It’s the timing of it, I agree. Honestly he should do this. But, the timing.

1 Like

IMO Hunter wasn’t even thinking about declaring and testing the waters until you made your post. He made an abrupt decision and it’s all your fault

7 Likes

How many guys have signed with an ncaa approved agent and have returned to school?

Ready to atone.

Don’t have an exact count but it is fairly common since the rule changes. I believe Livers was one last year.

Ok, thanks. So pretty standard. Just don’t want to look too far into the tea leaves.

He is 100% gone. He will stay in the draft and never come back to Ann Arbor. Book it

16 Likes

Henry did last year as well

That’s a good one:

Hours before the deadline to do so, another Michigan State player jumped into the pool of 2020 NBA draft early entrants.

Aaron Henry has entered his name into the 2020 NBA Draft, according to ESPN. He did so on Sunday, the last day for players to declare for this year’s draft.

He’s probably spent the past few months working on his 3 point shot and left shoulder post moves and wants to show what he can do. Selfishly I hope he comes back but I don’t allow myself to be surprised when guys leave.

Haha, interesting take, And not completely crazy either. Hunter can shoot free throws, so, sooner or later, the 3 point shot should come around. And, for sure, he needs to use both hands in the post. But he doesn’t need to show polished moves or hit triples at a 40% clip, he just needs to show that the fundamentals are there. The draft is all about potential, and almost nothing else.

I don’t know what Hunter wants. But being drafted in the 2nd round and spending a year or two in the G league is a totally logical path for him. It’s not what we want, but I sure can’t knock a kid that wants to take that route.

1 Like

Never forget that guys like Darko and Yi Jianlian dominated folding chairs and assistant coaches in their workouts and became lottery picks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DOT saying his prediction would be that Hunter will return but “he wouldn’t even bet a happy meal on it” (hahaha) anyways dang.

1 Like

Actions speak louder than words, the fact that the coaches did not hotly pursue a transfer center tells me they HIGHLY expect him back.

3 Likes

I agree. Just seems like maybe people got in Hunters ear and he did a lot more thinking. Maybe something changed from earlier in the off-season.

1 Like

Hunter has publicly made comments about jersey #s for next season with Frankie Collins and being bummed they aren’t playing @Maryland next year. If he actually enters the draft I will be shocked.

2 Likes

I agree with your take, and I also agree that he’s doing the right thing. Certainly not making any guarantees, but I believe he’ll be back for another year.

3 Likes

If Hunter’s plan is to leave after next season, going through the process now is obviously a good move.

3 Likes

Zero chance they expected this.

Speaking entirely to the quirky nature of the young man himself. If you had been asked to bet just two days ago whether he would have entered his name, I know where most would have placed their bets after first asking if it was a trick question.

Heck the timing of this announcement illustrates just that.

Seems he has to resolve some conflicts in the opinions of him. Much of it coming from “advisors.”

And frankly there is no obvious personal downside to him doing it.

6 Likes