Guestavo

Dude, I gotta hand it to you, Levert is playing out of his mind lately and has turned into at least our second best player, if not our best. I really am starting to think he’s the whole key to our tourney success this year. In his past 8 games, he’s averaging 17.3 points (.456 from the floor, .500 (19-38) from three), 6.0 rebounds, 2.4 assists, and only 1.6 TOs. He’s also the only guy on the floor who is immune to physical, grabbing defense, because he’s so long and quick he can get his shot off against anyone, and if they guard him too close he can blow right past them. He still has a mental lapse or two from time-to-time, but whatever - if he keeps playing like this it’s irrelevant.

Two plays in particular were great against MSU. I love the way he not only nailed the corner three to end the half, but turned his back and started running back down the court before the shot even went in. That’s confidence. And then, I loved the play late in the second half where he caught the ball in the corner, had an easy look from three (which he probably would have buried), but made the even smarter play of just driving it right to the rim and dunking.

I could not be happier to be wrong about that guy, I just hope he doesn’t start entertaining NBA thoughts until this time next year.

I was reading the “project 2015” thread and man, this season has played out better than any of us could have expected.

I’ll be the first to say Nik has proven me wrong and silly. Heck, I don’t think any of us could have expected Caris to be shooting 41 % from 3.

Caris’ has some obvious holes (midrange, strength, PnR vision) but he is well on his way. I doubt we have anything to worry about as far as leaving for the NBA. The scouts are just now getting savvy to him. I’m hoping everyone, or at least everyone but Nik, comes back and we can make a proper run. That or Mitch comes back and we make that run this year. The future is bright!

I doubt we have anything to worry about as far as leaving for the NBA. The scouts are just now getting savvy to him. I'm hoping everyone, or at least everyone but Nik, comes back and we can make a proper run. That or Mitch comes back and we make that run this year. The future is bright!

It’s always hard to project who will be declaring. But if only Nik goes, or Caris and McGary return, that’s still an exciting (and deep) team for next season.

I doubt we have anything to worry about as far as leaving for the NBA. The scouts are just now getting savvy to him. I'm hoping everyone, or at least everyone but Nik, comes back and we can make a proper run. That or Mitch comes back and we make that run this year. The future is bright!

It’s always hard to project who will be declaring. But if only Nik goes, or Caris and McGary return, that’s still an exciting (and deep) team for next season.

I agree AND Glenn. GR3 has the highest upside and I still believe he can be an All American with a great offseason of expanding his game.

I agree AND Glenn. GR3 has the highest upside and I still believe he can be an All American with a great offseason of expanding his game.

Yup, if GRIII comes back and works on his handle/expands his game then next year’s outlook is even brighter. Again though, it’s always hard to project who will declare, and as fans we will tend to side with “Player X needs to stay one more year and work on Y or else he will not do well in the pros.” But the fact is that there is a lot more that goes into those decisions. It’s hard not to get excited about that prospect. However, for now lets focus on beating the KenPom spread for Purdue and taking one more step towards the second B1G title in recent memory.

While I agree that Caris is playing exceptional ball, I still believe GR3 is the X factor that can either make the team above average/good or good/great. His play dictates in large part whether opposing defenses can provide help on Caris and/or Nik. Also a lot of his buckets are worth more than 2 points in my opinion - when his jumpshot is falling it energizes him on both sides of the court, and when he throws down a dunk/oop those are momentum plays that are worth much more than the tangible metrics reflect.

I was watching HS clips of Glenn a few days back. He looked so much more explosive, even in the Michigan freshman clips that I watched. I seriously believe that he added to much weight to his frame and it bogs down his first step. Of course, there is always ballhandling. If Glenn leaves, we are going to miss his defense, transition offense and rebounding at the 4 spot,at minimum. I really think he can make that leap Oladipo and Hardaway Jr made if he comes back…

I agree guestavo but Glenn seems uninterested in the game most of the time he’s on the court. He just doesn’t seem like he’s enjoying himself and probably wishes that he left for the NBA last year. The only time you’ll ever see him excited is if his jumper falls or if he slams down a monster dunk/alley oop. I think this is partly to due to the fact that he realizes that he has to defer to Caris and Nik when he was originally pegged as the #1 option going into the season, and just hasn’t lived up to hype. He always looks dejected when he can’t dribble past his man and has to pass it back to the guards that can dribble-drive effectively. Additionally, Glenn said he was going to be able to showcase his real talent (I think he said something to the effect that people haven’t seen anything yet) in his natural position (SF) during the offseason and that fact that this never came to fruition (because of Mitch’s injury)–in my opinion–rubs him the wrong way. Not many 6’6" wings would jump at the opportunity to play as a team’s 4. Unless the majority of scouts advise him to return (or Mitch encourages him to return again), I simply do not see GRIII returning next year, even though it may be in his best interest. Regardless of whether or not he comes back, I just hope that he’s able to have live in the moment and have some fun while on the court. When he is having fun, he is locked in and lethal, and that’s how we need him.

This might be a little too much reading in–we don’t really know what he feels–but I think that Guestavo is right that Glenn could make an Oladipo-like leap if he stays. (In fact, Oladipo might be an extremely good comparison.) Taking the Timmy H. comparison, on the other hand, there were a lot of impatient fans complaining about him and his streaky shooting, too–he disappeared for long stretches last year, and remained erratic for much of the NCAA tourney. Glenn can hit from outside, and will down the road; NBA teams will bank on that and take him. I think Beilein has found the right motivating tool in dubbing him “the Motorman.” As long as he stays very active, good things happen.

Mattski, that’s the problem - Glenn can’t hit from the outside. He’s shooting 27.5% from three this year, as opposed to Hardaway’s 38% last year. That’s a big difference, not to mention Glenn gets a lot of wide open looks, while other teams keyed on Hardaway from three because they knew he could make it if they didn’t cover him tightly.

Glenn needs at least one more year, no doubt about it. Beyond that, he needs to get active. There’s no reason why, with his athleticism and frame, he can’t be a really good rebounder and defensive player. In the past 8 games, for example, Levert is averaging 6.0 rebounds per game and is easily outrebounding Robinson. That’s effort. Levert is the same height, probably weighs a good 25 pounds less, and can’t jump like Robinson. But he’s getting after it. Glenn needs to do the same. Last game was a good first step in that direction.

I think that a lot of people just started watching this year–Glenn was a threat from outside last year. Yes, he can hit from outside. Whether he regains any confidence this year is clearly a question, but he’s obviously got Beilein encouraging him to keep trying.

To think people laughed at me in the beginning of the year when I said GR3 was nowhere near the rebounder that Dawson is…if they could only turn back the hands of time.

GR3 > > > > > > > > Dawson

GR3 > > > > > > > > Dawson

If you’re limiting the comparison to rebounding that is so far from the truth it’s unreal. Even if we’re talking overall value to a team, it’s still debatable. Frankly, I’m a GR3 fan, but other than shooting jumpshots better than Dawson, he literally does nothing better, and to be honest, his jumpshot isn’t THAT much better. Dawson is a better defender, rebounder, just as good in transition…just saying

He doesn’t? Transition scoring? Finishing? Slashing? 3 point shooting? Dribble pull-ups at the elbow? All at a younger age.

Dawson isn’t as good scoring in transition LOL. Dude can’t even dribble a basketball. Glenn can go coast to coast. It’s also debatable who the better defender is as I think that’s more a product of their system.

I know Glenn isn’t where he should/will be but let’s not act like he isn’t in another stratosphere than Brandon Dawson as an offensive player.

LeVert Snatches a lot of GRIII rebounding opportunities, why fight a teammate for rebs?? Its not as if The opponent is shutting him out or he doesnt make an Effort!

Its not as if The opponent is shutting him out or he doesnt make an Effort!

Actually, it is if we’re being honest. Let’s put it this way - Nobody will ever accuse GR3 of being the hardest working player on the court.

He doesn't? Transition scoring? Finishing? Slashing? 3 point shooting? Dribble pull-ups at the elbow? All at a younger age.

Dawson isn’t as good scoring in transition LOL. Dude can’t even dribble a basketball. Glenn can go coast to coast. It’s also debatable who the better defender is as I think that’s more a product of their system.

I know Glenn isn’t where he should/will be but let’s not act like he isn’t in another stratosphere than Brandon Dawson as an offensive player.

I know that you form a lot of your opinions around NBA potential/Real GM discussion, and while there is nothing wrong with that, to say its debatable as to whether GR3 is a better defender than Dawson is nothing short of crazy and you know that. I think where we differ is how we value players - you’re more of a “a guy CAN do x or y”, whereas I’m more of a “a guy DOES do x or y” - in other words potential doesn’t mean a whole lot to me in college.

When you look at the motor of a guy like Caris vs. GRIII, it makes me believe that GRIII is almost has a sense of entitlement while on the court, meanwhile Caris has had to work hard for a lot of the opportunities that he’s had.

He doesn't? Transition scoring? Finishing? Slashing? 3 point shooting? Dribble pull-ups at the elbow? All at a younger age.

I know that you form a lot of your opinions around NBA potential/Real GM discussion, and while there is nothing wrong with that, to say its debatable as to whether GR3 is a better defender than Dawson is nothing short of crazy and you know that. I think where we differ is how we value players - you’re more of a “a guy CAN do x or y”, whereas I’m more of a “a guy DOES do x or y” - in other words potential doesn’t mean a whole lot to me in college.

Ok. Dawson is a much better rebounder and slightly better defender. Glenn is in another stratosphere as an offensive player. The guys at RCMB would agree with that…