Givony: Juwan Howard will have NBA interest

If Juwan stuck around a few more years with a lot of success he can go back home to coach the Bulls and Michigan can pick up Billy Donovan, look at it as a trade.

1 Like

My no-intel guess would be that he coaches until his sons leave school and is very judicious about which NBA job he takes afterwards.

True, didn’t consider that. I don’t like needing to find a coach after the initial coaching carousel is over.

1 Like

Pay the Man!!!

1 Like

I don’t believe money will be a deciding factor in Howard’s thinking. Manuel will pay him. It’ll then be where does Juwan want to be.

5 Likes

I know it’s a reach. Just thought I would share. I don’t believe a word of it.

Edit: I see it’s already been shared. I missed the boat on this.

Oops. Thanks Dylan.

Posting here because it’s relevant to the NBA rumors: Juwan was on the Dan Patrick show today. Good interview, link to YouTube here.

Calls UM his “dream job” and “only school he would coach”. As for NBA goal, says “That’s the past now. I’m so locked into Michigan. I love this place”.

Wouldn’t expect him to say otherwise, but there you go.

25 Likes

I really Believe Juwan will be an NBA coach in the future. He spent 10 years in the Heat organization and has been groomed to be a head coach from one of the best NBA organizations. I believe this is just one step in the process, His ability to communicate with players and understand the game at the next level will be a huge asset in the NBA. Finding the right fit will be the biggest challenge for him. No need to leave a great situation until the ideal job comes knocking!

1 Like

When Juwan is loose, he is a great interview. He seems to be a bit reserved when he talks to reporters, but this interview with Dan Patrick is quite funny.

1 Like

Honestly, if Indiana can find 10 million to get rid of Archie, I’m sure Warde can find a couple extra million in the couch cushions to entice Juwan to stay.

1 Like

I tend to agree, though probably feel a little less confident. If he ever does jump ship he’ll have certainly earned that right and I just hope he does it for a better situation than the Cavs (:expressionless:). In the meantime he clearly loves Michigan, and I’m hoping he can build the program up to the point where he makes that decision very difficult for himself in the future (assuming he stays regardless while his sons are in school).

1 Like

As long as Jalen was right that he won’t leave without the national championship.

6 Likes

Might be my favorite Juwan interview in 2 years. Had a smile on my face the entire latter half…we have a good one!

1 Like

Agreed! 15 minutes of me grinning and laughing. Easy to see why this team loves him… and so do the recruits.

1 Like

Luckily for us if Juwan leaves we can just go grab Ed Cooley.

6 Likes

Just another reminder (from BQ) of how things fell into place for us.

2 Likes

Nothing really groundbreaking in there that we hadn’t heard I don’t believe. Maybe the mention that Donovan’s interest was gauged. But well told. I shudder to think where the search would have gone if Juwan had gotten the TWolves job though.

I also did not realize Cooley pulled his name out before his in person interview. I thought when he put that statement out he knew he did not get the Michigan job so wanted to spin it into some good PR. Also any guesses on who the high major recent final four coach who considered being interviewed. Dana Altman is the one that came to mind for me.

I don’t think we would have reached out to Altman for other reasons. My thought was Shaka but he specifically said it wasn’t him. Same with Porter Moser. Weren’t there rumors we talked to Frank Martin or did I make that up? Talk about not aging well, that would go with the Steve Prohm bucket.

1 Like